for those that pay cash for everything.....

do you take private excursions?? ( not through the ship) don't you pay cash for those when you get off the ship? If you are a party of 4 or more ...that's a lot of cash at each port if you book an excusion at each port.

we have used cash the last few times we have cruised but this time will be booking excursions for 4/5 people ( last time we were 2 people)

Plus cash for taxi rides right?? and tipping at the port, chairs at the beach??, etc...

how do you get away with not bringing a lot of cash if you do it this way

We use cash for everything off the ship. We use our S&S card for everything on board except for gambling; we like to use cash for gambling so things don't get out of control fast, lol. Our S&S bill is linked to our CC but we usually pay it off in cash the night before debarkation. We visit mostly beaches for shore excursions since my son cruises with us, so we pay for the taxi in cash as well as an enterance fee if it applies. We typically bring about $2,500.00 in cash.

We are taking cash, I am unsure how much at this point. And I have never cruised. I was thinking about travelers checks, but I don't know if they can be cashed on the ship...anyone care to let me know that one?

Yes the ships do cash travelers checks. We estimate the amount we'll need for any port, add a little to it and cash whatever amount of travelers checks to cover it.

I use cash for everything while on a cruise. I guess a lot is a relative term so what's a lot to one person may not be a lot to others. Just carry around what you think you will need for the day. If you need a lot that day, I would make sure the bulk amount is secured on you, like in a travel wallet wrapped around my waist or something and hidden underneath a shirt or whatever vs just dumping it in a beach bag or a pocket. Maybe keep a small amount that is easier to get to for small things like grab rides and such. Only bring out the travel wallet for the BIG purchase. At that point its not that huge of a deal if someone sees the cash since you are emptying it out anyway to pay for the item. Also if the people among your group are adults, split the cash between everyone, so one person isn't carrying everything.

We don't like using CC in port...cash only for us, too. All the ports I have visited have "cash" excursions...we've done them in St. Thomas and Cozumel.

There are ATM's on the ship. I believe the charge is $6.00 per transaction. This might prove to be a good alternative for you and your group. Travelers Checks are good idea as well.

We always carry cash for everything. I bought small wallet type plastic thing at Wal Mart that is divided into about six different sections. I divide up each section by port and put in the amount I will spend, pay for excursions, etc. I place the thing in the safe and before I go into port I take out the money for that port. I have done this for eleven cruises and it has worked very well for me. I find it also helps you budget the amount you are going to spend in each port. I also use it for the two or so days before we sail that we will be in the city. For me it's not about how much I could spend on things, but how much I will spend:)

I do the envelope system. I put the amount of cash needed for each port add a little extra to it and put it in its own envelope with the name of the port and amount in envelope written on it. We have used this system on the last few cruises and has worked great! All are kept locked in the safe until the day they are needed.

pittypat

Archived