***GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!! A "Springbreakers" Review of the Destiny***

Introduction:

Hello fellow Cruise Critic members. My name is Brittany and I am beginning to write what I hope will be an enjoyable review for you all.

First, some specifics…

Cruisers: Brittany (21) and my amazing boyfriend June (23)

Cruise Ship: Carnival Destiny

Cruise Dates: 2/26-3/3

Itinerary: Miami – Sea Day – Jamaica – Grand Cayman – Sea Day – Miami

**Why should you read my review??**

It seems like there have been tons of Destiny reviews lately, and they have all been GREAT!! I loved reading them in preparation for my trip. My review will also be an interesting read because it is a little different.

First, I’m only 21, and this trip was my first time ever planning and taking a vacation without my parents. So I am not an experienced traveler by any means. Therefore, there may have been many mistakes throughout my trip, or maybe there weren’t… Guess you will have to read to find out.

Second, going off the point from above, I will be making this an “interactive review.” Meaning, I will be asking you experienced travelers many questions along the way. I hope you guys have answers because I’m already looking to plan another cruise.

Third, I have been on 3 previous cruises, as a child, and a ton has changed. Some good, and some bad… Read for my opinions on that.

*See here I am on my last cruise, age 12. time flies...

n656870790_1885723_3556.jpg

Forth, I was traveling with a first time cruiser... we all know how entertaining they can be for the first day or two.

And lastly, we all read reviews for entertainment, and to learn something. I’m hoping that I can provide that for you all.

So, before we get to the pre-cruise stuff, here’s a little more about June and I.

We are both from the warm, sunny state of Michigan (sarcasm), and have been dating for a few years. We’ve known each other for practically our whole lives, since his family lives across the street from my grandmother’s home, where I spent all my summers as a kid. We became friends… then best friends… then somewhere along the way June started calling me his girlfriend… (seriously, he never asked me, just assumed – it will be interesting to see if he ASKS me to marry him) and we have been inseparable ever since.

**and here we are**

150509_10150106878235791_656870790_7974161_2370923_n.jpg

I began planning this cruise way back in May, because I was beginning to feel a little bit run down, and extremely exhausted. What could possibly have a 21 year old feeling like that???

Well:

• Being a full time student at the University of Michigan (Go Blue)
  • Job #1
  • Job #2
  • Preparing for the LSAT
  • Applying for law school
  • Writing numerous admission essays
  • Meeting after meeting with college advisors
  • Applying for graduation….

You guys get the idea?? :eek:

I decided that spring break during my last semester of college would be the perfect time to get away… and then I dragged (almost literally) my June along with me. He didn’t understand the concept of cruising… most first time cruisers don’t, so it was hard to convince him to go. Once I said, “hey we will be in 80 degree weather, while it will be 20 degrees here, he agreed, and the planning began.

Planning Stages:

I’ll keep this segment short, but I noticed a lot of debate between using a travel agent, a PVP, or booking on your own. I actually tried all three ways, kinda by accident.

First, I decided to go with a travel agent, because that’s the way my mother always did it. Mom knows best, right? NOT!! This travel agent was THE WORST!! First, she never returned my phone calls, did absolutely no work in securing travel deals for our vacation, and honestly was pretty dumb (just saying). So after about 3 days of “giving her a chance,” I decided to “go it alone.”

Boy was I nervous!!! I went to Carnival’s website and filled in all my information about 9 times, and then would chicken out before the last step. :o

Then a couple days later, a PVP called, a result of all my activity on the site I guess, and I booked with her. Using a PVP is painless, but I only talked to her once. She didn’t do anything that I could not have done for myself (once I stopped playing chicken). So… the moral of the story is… use a travel agent or PVP if you have a good one, otherwise just fill in the form yourself.

So let’s do a fast forward from my booking date in June…. All the way to the cruise in February…

In this time period I:

• -Aced two whole semesters of school (yayay me)
  • -worked, worked, WORKED, &&& WORKED
  • -found cruise critic
  • -spent too much time on cruise critic
  • -had crazy dreams that things would go wrong on my trip
  • -(forgot passport, missed boat, no towel animals, ect.)
  • -finished applying for law school
  • -packed my bags several times
  • -got really impatient
  • -headed to Detroit for the airport

Here’s my first two questions for you all:

1) Do the pre-planning vacation jitters ever go away?

2) Do you think that PVP’s are useful? In what ways?

Stay tuned for the Pre-Cruise section... things do NOT go as planned. :(

Great start, I am excited to read all about your experiences. We have a neice at University of Michigan.

I can't count how many vacations I have planned for our family, and I still get nervous.

I was having similiar feelings about our PVP. I did use one because we were booking 2 cabins and I wanted them together in the system under me. I am not sure if you can do that on your own or not, but I knew the PVP could help. He also did help me get an ES OBC straightened out.

Keep it coming! And great job on all your hard work at school! I am a mother of five teenager to 21 yo, work full time, and have 7 weeks left until I receive my bachelors degree. I know it isn't all easy.

Great Start! I love the picture of you when you were 12. So cute. You and DB are a great looking couple. What a work load you have. You deserved a much needed vacation. I hope you had a good time.

To answer your questions. I have anxiety and jitters whenever I plan a cruise or major vacation. It does get better but for me doesn't go away.

I have used a travel agent for 3 cruises. One was during a huricane and they provided no support or help when our hotel post-cruise was shut down. We were stuck finding one on our own. We got no emails or voicemails nothing. The hotels were booked through them as well. The other 2 they didn't offer much assistance with. One was to Alaska and I ended up doing ALL the work and found better discounts then they did. I had to ask for the discount/promotional rate. They offered me the regular rate. So I agree with the T/A area.

I have found a great PVP. I book with him because it's easy, he is quick to return my phone calls, and looks out for me.

Can't wait for more!

Pre-Cruise

Thanks to my “Super-Senior” Schedule, I only have class on Monday and Wednesday. So on Wednesday, the 23rd, after a long day of class, I repacked my bag (for about the 5th time) and scrambled to finish all homework that was due before break started. Then I worked at both my jobs Thursday, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. My afternoon manager let me leave a couple hours early. I thought he was just being nice, but he later claimed I was getting on his nerves with all my pre-trip excitement. But in any event, I was off work and then headed to my sister’s house, in Southfield, to spend the night closer to Metro airport.

Thanks to Cruise Critic, It was decided that we would fly to Florida the day before our cruise. Also, even though we were sailing out of Miami, we flew into Fort Lauderdale to save some serious cash. :D

Here’s where things start to get hairy. The weather indicated that there would be a winter storm that Thursday night/early Friday morning! Our flight was scheduled to leave at 10:05am… so this was a huge concern. I decided to monitor the weather, read a book, and try to relax. Then around midnight, I was finally tired enough to go to sleep. I decided to check my school email one last time before I left in the morning (I couldn’t help it) and you wouldn’t believe what I found!!!

There was an email from one of my professors, just reminding us to turn in our assignment before 5pm Friday. Assignment??? What assignment??? CRAP!!! How could I have forgotten??? To make a long story short, I somehow forgot to write an essay. Thank goodness it was only one page. Ok, I thought, “one page… I can do that in less than an hour, and be to bed by 1am.” Boy was I wrong, I had left my trusty MacBook Pro at home, and my sister’s computer would not cooperate. Microsoft Word kept deleting my work and the Internet kept kicking me off. So after about four… YES FOUR hours, I finally finished that darn one page paper.

The time was now about 4:45 and I needed to be up by 7. Grrrrrr. To top it off, I looked outside and everything is covered in white! It looks like a blizzard!! :eek: I said a prayer that my flight wouldn’t be delayed and dozed off around 5.

Here is the mess we were leaving.

2011-02-20171253.jpg

2011-02-25072939.jpg

Less than an hour later I keep hearing my phone ring. I wonder, who in the heck would be calling before 6am. Its June of course.

“Hello,” I say in the least cranky voice I can manage on an hour of sleep.

“Hey babe, are you dressed?” He asked.

“Uhhhh…. NO! Its not even 6 yet…"

“Well yeah but the roads are really bad so I decided to leave earlier," he replied.

“Ok, well how long til you get here to pick me up?” (I’m hoping to catch a few more minutes of sleep…)

Then he says that he will be there in 5 MINUTES!!! WTH!!! So I RUSH RUSH RUSH to repack the things I unpacked, shower long enough to barely be wet, throw on some clothes, and rush outside. In his defense, he did try calling me several times to wake me up, but I was dead to the world, dreaming of Miami.

After a couple last minute stops at ATM’s and Burger King for breakfast, we were on our way to the airport… going a whopping 35mph. We finally made it to the airport around 8, checked June’s bag, and made our way to security.

As an aside, I NEVER check bags anymore. I’ve had one to many bags “misplaced” by the airlines. So when June said he was checking his bag, I took that to mean that I get 2 Carry-ons, instead of one. So I packed a bag of shoes for June to carry. Hehe

I was worried about security after reading all the madness about the new scanners and pat downs. I honestly thought they were cool, and very painless. I understand most don’t feel the same way, and I respect their opinions, but they were fine to me. We made it to our gate and the “hour and a half til our flight” wait began.

The weather was clearing up and flights were taking off left and write. I was thrilled to know that we wouldn’t be delayed due to the weather. Then around 9:30, June who hasn’t flown since childhood wants to know where our plane is. I told him to calm down, it would be there any minute so we could start boarding and be on our way.

9:45 – no plane

9:55 – no plane

10:00 – announcement #1 something along the lines of “yea your plane isn’t here, we at Delta screwed something up (again) sorry for the inconvenience… blah blah blah

10:15 - #2 “we found your plane, it needs maintenance, we expect to begin boarding in about an hour.”

11:00 - #3 “we don’t know what’s going on with your plane, we will let you know when we know something.”

11:15-12 – announcements #4 - #45 we have no idea what’s going on… we will keep you posted.

12:05 – Delta hands out free meal vouchers worth 6 bucks to everyone on our flight. I begin to worry that we may be stuck in the airport for a while. I call our hotel (the Intercontinental in downtown Miami) and request a late check-in

12:15-1 – announcement #46 “sorry we are so incompetent… we are giving you all 50 dollars off your next flight…”

Then FINALLY around 1:10 our plane pulls up to the gate. We all rejoice. HOWEVER… the plane really stinks (their words) and they wont let us board until they deodorize it.

2011-02-25115723.jpg

As we lined up at the gate, there was a TSA guy doing "additional screening." I had never seen this before and thought it was quite odd. He walked up to June and I and ASKED who would like to volunteer. Strange, I doubt someone carrying something dangerous would ever volunteer. But anyway since June had the smaller of my two bags, he volunteered. I heard the TSA Agent crack a joke about June carrying a bag full of high heeled shoes. LOL

Another thing I heard while in line was a lot of people on cruises that were set to sail that afternoon calling their cruise lines. Their frantic phone calls made me swear I would always fly in a day early. Anyway, we left Detroit just before 2, a half hour after the time we were scheduled to arrive in Fort Lauderdale.

2011-02-25150843.jpg

What a way to begin a trip!!

Great start, I am excited to read all about your experiences. We have a neice at University of Michigan.

I can't count how many vacations I have planned for our family, and I still get nervous.

I was having similiar feelings about our PVP. I did use one because we were booking 2 cabins and I wanted them together in the system under me. I am not sure if you can do that on your own or not, but I knew the PVP could help. He also did help me get an ES OBC straightened out.

Keep it coming! And great job on all your hard work at school! I am a mother of five teenager to 21 yo, work full time, and have 7 weeks left until I receive my bachelors degree. I know it isn't all easy.

Not easy at all! Especially with work! But my vacation has re-energized me. I think I will survive the 6 weeks until graduation. Good Luck to you!!

I've already began looking into a cruise for next year, im sure the jitters will be back. I don't think I'll use a PVP unless another couple wants to come along, and we link the bookings.

Great Start! I love the picture of you when you were 12. So cute. You and DB are a great looking couple. What a work load you have. You deserved a much needed vacation. I hope you had a good time.

To answer your questions. I have anxiety and jitters whenever I plan a cruise or major vacation. It does get better but for me doesn't go away.

I have used a travel agent for 3 cruises. One was during a huricane and they provided no support or help when our hotel post-cruise was shut down. We were stuck finding one on our own. We got no emails or voicemails nothing. The hotels were booked through them as well. The other 2 they didn't offer much assistance with. One was to Alaska and I ended up doing ALL the work and found better discounts then they did. I had to ask for the discount/promotional rate. They offered me the regular rate. So I agree with the T/A area.

I have found a great PVP. I book with him because it's easy, he is quick to return my phone calls, and looks out for me.

Can't wait for more!

OMG! I don't know what I would do in the hurricane situation. I know that sometimes things won't go right, but I really hope that doesn't happen to me. :eek: The travel agent my mom used was great, but she retired. I found some pretty good deals on my own too. Thank you for your response.

You write so well with such a refreshing sense of humor!

I still have a dream that they come and repossess my college diploma because I failed Bi Sci (dumbbell Biology) my last semester. I honestly don't remember taking the final and there is no way I could have passed it as it was an 8 AM Monday and Wednesday class. I think I went to 3 lectures the whole semester.

Thank you so much for the review. My family is going on the same cruise at the end of March. We can't wait. It's great to get a little preview of the trip with your review. Thanks so much! Hope you enjoyed your trip! By the way you and June are adorable together.:)

I am enjoying your review. Keep it coming. I am in charge of a Family & Friends cruise every year and I still get jittery and nervous until we actually walk on to the ship. This August will be my Group's 11th cruise!!! I have used the same TA for all of them.

Thank you so much for the review. My family is going on the same cruise at the end of March. We can't wait. It's great to get a little preview of the trip with your review. Thanks so much! Hope you enjoyed your trip! By the way you and June look adorable together.:)

Pre- Cruise: Florida

We landed at FLL at exactly 4:05. On the way to baggage claim I called SAS, the company we arranged to transport us to Miami. A guy named Steve answered and I explained about our flight delays. He said that he already knew about the delays and not to worry, they would be there for us. He then told me to call him after we collected our bags. After watching the baggage carousal go ‘round an ‘round, June eventually picked his boring black suitcase from the sea of boring black suitcases, and I called Steve again. He instructed us to go outside and wait under the Delta sign.

And wait we did. Wait… and wait… and WAIT! Do I sound impatient?? But seriously, I began to think we were in the wrong place. After waiting around the airport, we were just ready to get our vacation started. Since I love palm trees, I used this time to take pics of some.

2011-02-25164814.jpg

Almost 40 minutes later, our van pulled up and we were headed to Miami. Here it is, thru the window.

2011-02-25171533.jpg

2011-02-25171707.jpg

**More about SAS for those of you who don’t know**

They take you from FLL to any hotel in downtown Miami, or the Port of Miami, for 15pp (or 13pp if you are a group of 4). They will also pick you up from the POM and take you back to FLL. I guess I have mixed feelings about SAS. The good parts are that booking online was easy, they monitor flights for delays, and are cheap. The bad parts are we had a long wait on the way to Miami, and on the way back. Would I use them again? Yes! Am I satisfied for the service I received for 30 bucks round-trip? Yup!

Questions for you guys?

Have you used a shuttle service, or rented a car, from FLL to Miami? What service did you use? How was your experience?

Our Hotel:

P2260484.jpg

P2250425.jpg

Find out more about this awesome 4.5 star hotel, and how I booked it for half the regular price.... tomorrow. sleep is needed now.

You write so well with such a refreshing sense of humor!

I still have a dream that they come and repossess my college diploma because I failed Bi Sci (dumbbell Biology) my last semester. I honestly don't remember taking the final and there is no way I could have passed it as it was an 8 AM Monday and Wednesday class. I think I went to 3 lectures the whole semester.

Thank you. I love to write! Guess that might be why I'm an English major. I have an African Politics class this semester, and I honestly couldn't even tell you where the room is. Last semesters are hard!! :o

Thank you so much for the review. My family is going on the same cruise at the end of March. We can't wait. It's great to get a little preview of the trip with your review. Thanks so much! Hope you enjoyed your trip! By the way you and June are adorable together.:)

Thank you, he's my slightly better half. :rolleyes: When in March? I'll at least try to get you some real info by then. I plan to have Miami and Embarkation done tomorrow (I took over 100pics the first day :eek:) then sea day and Jamaica Tuesday, Grand Cayman and the last sea day Wednesday. And finish up by Friday. Now that I have posted that I guess I have to stick to it. :o

I am enjoying your review. Keep it coming. I am in charge of a Family & Friends cruise every year and I still get jittery and nervous until we actually walk on to the ship. This August will be my Group's 11th cruise!!! I have used the same TA for all of them.

WOW! Im trying to convince my family to take another cruise. We used to go every year. We will see how it goes. :cool:

Looking forward to more! I am from Franklin, daughter went to Groves, she just turned 22..and is at Western, other daughter went to State (go green lol) nephew went to Michigan. Always interesting at family get togethers! You are adorable :) I am enjoying your writing style..I booked online for my cruise next month (we are driving down to Charleston, 14 hours, so saving big on airfare, maybe not though with gas prices!) I booked a pack and go fare so I did not care if I had a PVP, as the rate was definitely not going to go down, but a good PVP can look out for you for upsells, so when I book further out I will and have used one.

We have been on many cruises and YES I still get the jitters---I worry that I will forget something, the car will break down, wrecks on the interstate etc etc. We live 45 min from Port Canaveral, 2 hrs from Tampa and 2 1/2 from Jax so if we cruise from there, we drive day of the cruise, but we always leave by 8am in case there are delays. If we cruise from MIA or FLL, we drive down the day before and get a hotel. My husband thinks it's crazy. but he will agree to it.

I used to work for a major airline so I'm pretty travel savvy---and could book my own cruises without any problems, but I used to use PVP==I had 2 awesome ones, always looking for rate drops for me, returned calls the same day etc. The last PVP I had, had to leave Carnival to take care of her elderly father in Jax, but she went in to business for herself as a TA, so I can still book with her YAY ! We have actually become good friends.

The advantage to a PVP I think, you have a contact if something should go wrong either pre cruise or while on the ship.

Congrats on getting your degree--my son worked us way through undergrad and grad school. so I know it;s hard.

Absolutely great job so far... Two things...

My "College Kids" are going on their Spring Break cruise next week so I am printing this for them to see...

I was under the impression that you either had to be married or over 25 to cruise alone... I didnt think that a 21 & 23 year old were allowed to book and cruise by themselves... (But, sshhhhhhh don't tell anyone cause they think I have to go with them because of their age!!!) but I'd still be interested in that ...

Absolutely great job so far... Two things...

My "College Kids" are going on their Spring Break cruise next week so I am printing this for them to see...

I was under the impression that you either had to be married or over 25 to cruise alone... I didnt think that a 21 & 23 year old were allowed to book and cruise by themselves... (But, sshhhhhhh don't tell anyone cause they think I have to go with them because of their age!!!) but I'd still be interested in that ...

anyone over 21 can book and go on a cruise but anyone younger than 21 may not go with a 21 year old, (they must either be married OR have someone 25 or older in the same cabin or parent/guardian in accompanying cabin..:))

Archived