glojo

Have you served in HM Forces

Apologies for this non cruise related topic but following on from a recent thread I note how there are a few ex service personnel on this forum.

Did we all know that you are entitled to a very nice medallion

You might have to play with the link until you get the right location but I can assure everyone that this is not a wind-up, nor a spam type mail.

I filled my application in about 4 - 6 weeks ago and then completely forgot about it. Much to my surprise this afternoon a very nice looking label badge arrived.

It comes in a nice jewellery box, has the MOD emblem on it with the wording 'HM Armed Forces' and underneath the word 'Veteran' It is made by the usual medal manufacturer so it does look very nice

I am not to keen on being called a 'veteran' but she who must be obeyed likes it and that is good enough for me.

If you have not got one then it is worth applying for as it is free!! :o and we don't often get 'owt for nowt!' :)

If you have already got one, or have applied... then disregard my last

Regards

John

I must confess it was a surprise to me and I honestly thought it was some type of wind-up.

Please do not expect an acknowledgement and if my experience is anything to go by.... You will not receive the item until you have completely forgotten about and and then one day a blooming great big white envelope will flutter through your letter box :)

I spent a few very comfortable weeks at RAF Khormaksar (happy days) ;);)

Received the badge yesterday, so took just a week......
Well done and you certainly had a much quicker response :)

Here's a link from the PPruNe Military Aircrew forum to this discount site:

http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk/

Veterans are included. Trouble is, I don't have a clue where my discharge papers are to use as proof. I believe when you leave the US forces you get a veterans ID which sounds a good idea.

Also mentioned on there are forces discounts of $50 - $250 OBC on Pricess and Cunard cruises ;)

RCI and Celebrity only offer discount on certain cruises and none on cruise out of Southampton.

Priness it is per person which is good for us, but cunard it is per cabin so not such a good deal for us

My husband sent off for his when they first did them (must have beeen about 18 months ago I think) it came quite quick. Mind you he's never worn it, perhaps he should if we go to The States again as they make more fuss of their vets there :)

My husband sent off for his when they first did them (must have beeen about 18 months ago I think) it came quite quick. Mind you he's never worn it, perhaps he should if we go to The States again as they make more fuss of their vets there :)

Hi Susan,

I'm with your husband regarding these brooches?? I can never see me wearing it (not even in the US) I guess it is just a nice little memento

I wear mine proudly alongside my medals on Rememberance Sunday, other days of the year it is on my Help For Heroes Hoodie, check them out on the helpforheroes.org web site, at £20 each they are top quality and helping our forces at the same time. ;)

10 years in r.a.f and will have a look :D:D

got my o.b.c on princess already for oct cruise

What paperwork did you have to provide to get the OBC??

Can you get this ex service o.b.co cunard and p&o was in RAF for 25 years so worth having a go at getting it .Thanks

I have spoken to P&O about OBC as they are part of Carnival group but they dont seem to offer any OBC for ex Military only their shareholders if you have 100 shares (about 2 grands worth). then you will get £125 for a 2 week cruise. Princess do give the discount and all the details are on their website.

If anyone finds out any different please shout about it. Recently got my veterans badge at a veterans day in Cardiff and intend to wear it with my medal on the formal nights - its gonna be one of the rare occasions I will get the chance to wear it - off to the Caribbean tomorrow cant wait :)

Thank you for letting us know about the lapel badges. Mine has just arrived and it's only taken about a week to come. It's quite nice too.:D

Wearing the veterans' badge make for a good ice-breaker in conversation, especially with American co-cruisers many of whom will have some military background.

Here in RAF(Retd) Lincolnshire everyone seems to have one!

Edited by Tothesunset

I only did 3 years in British Army 63-66 before migration to the Colonies downunder in 1966. I received HM British Veterans badge some 5 years ago, it has been around for a while, yes I wear it. I also did some time in the Australian Army and qualify for OBC with Princess Cruises, i.e. $250 for 31 day cruse on Golden Princess next March. P&O UK gives you zilch, but that has been debated strongly on P&O UK board.

However P&O Australia also give military obc for serving and former Army,Navy, Air Force, so why not P&O UK?

Did 9 years in the RAF from 89-98, great that we get OBC from Princess even though we're not American. It's shameful P&O UK can't do the same, even if it was just for UK passengers. Americans even get a Military discount of the price of their cruise.....A lot of companies in the UK treat our Armed Forces shamefully compared to the States.

Are you sure P&O do not offer this very nice gesture as Cunard most certainly does (or at least I got it)

Are you sure P&O do not offer this very nice gesture as Cunard most certainly does (or at least I got it)

I am certain, P&O Australia does give OBC to former and serving defence force bods, blike Princess but not P&O UK, I have asked.

Edited by NSWP

I am certain, P&O Australia does give OBC to former and serving defence force bods, blike Princess but not P&O UK, I have asked.

That's it then but how sad that one part of the company does... and the other half does not! P&O did a marvellous job in supporting our military operations and that has to be respected :)

Perhaps this might encourage folks to opt forCunard as opposed to that other option.

Came across this thread a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to be made aware of this ex-servicemen's entitlement.

I served in the Royal Navy during the 1970's so I decided to apply.

My badge arrived yesterday (meticulous timing, with the advent of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings).

I shall wear it with pride on my future cruises.

From May 14 this year, P&O UK gives OBC to former/serving British Defence Force bods.

Really, how did you find that one out. My husband served 22 years and has never got any discount of any sort for anything in the UK.

He has got his veterans medal though when it first came out but has never worn it.

Really, how did you find that one out. My husband served 22 years and has never got any discount of any sort for anything in the UK.

He has got his veterans medal though when it first came out but has never worn it.

Re Military OBC, look at P&O UK website, Q and A. I just applied for some for Aurora/Oriana next year re my British Army Service, 63-66.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks just looked that up - result. Do you know what the document is you have to get from the MOD is please and whereabouts do you get it from. He served from 66 to 88

Edited by amajaa

Thanks just looked that up - result. Do you know what the document is you have to get from the MOD is please and whereabouts do you get it from. He served from 66 to 88

He should have his 'red book' British Army Discharge book, just photo copy or scan that and send in.

I eventually got my Brit Forces OBC after some dramas as they did not want to pay us Colonials, former Poms who served in HM Forces in UK, as I did. I made reps to Carnival UK hierarchy and they helped me out, well done to them.

Good luck.

He should have his 'red book' British Army Discharge book, just photo copy or scan that and send in.

I eventually got my Brit Forces OBC after some dramas as they did not want to pay us Colonials, former Poms who served in HM Forces in UK, as I did. I made reps to Carnival UK hierarchy and they helped me out, well done to them.

Good luck.

Attenshun on parade !! You ex Squaddies.....Thought I would bring up this post again. After P &O boss - David Dingle authorised my Brit Army military obc, for Aurora/Oriana in 2015, they moved the goal posts and you now have to be a UK Citizen/Resident to get British Military OBC on P&O UK, just serving in the Brit Forces is not good enough. So no chance with obc for Adonia next year. However Cunard were nice and gave me some for QM2 on March 2. (I served in both the British and Australian Armies in ye olden days.)

Edited by NSWP

Attenshun on parade !! You ex Squaddies.....Thought I would bring up this post again. After P &O boss - David Dingle authorised my Brit Army military obc, for Aurora/Oriana in 2015, they moved the goal posts and you now have to be a UK Citizen/Resident to get British Military OBC on P&O UK, just serving in the Brit Forces is not good enough. So no chance with obc for Adonia next year. However Cunard were nice and gave me some for QM2 on March 2. (I served in both the British and Australian Armies in ye olden days.)

Cheap b'stards... 😡😡😡

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Cheap b'stards... 😡😡😡

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Indeed they are Dave. After all, we do share the same Queen.

there will be no rewards for those uppity colonials old son.

Appears not Uncle Mic. Lucky we can take a reasonable supply of adult beverages on P&O UK - Adonia, in lieu of Military OBC. P&O gave us some generous early booking OBC though, buy a few bottles of plonk at dinner.

Maybe P&O UK consider me an upper middle class Chav. (UK equivalent of a upper middle Aussie Bogan? lol.

Rule Britannia - Charles for King !!

Edited by NSWP

Appears not Uncle Mic. Lucky we can take a reasonable supply of adult beverages on P&O UK - Adonia, in lieu of Military OBC. P&O gave us some generous early booking OBC though, buy a few bottles of plonk at dinner.

Maybe P&O UK consider me an upper middle class Chav. (UK equivalent of a upper middle Aussie Bogan? lol.

Rule Britannia - Charles for King !!

Skip the lot and go straight to George the VII

Skip the lot and go straight to George the VII

Ken Oath, Uncle Mic, I will go straight to Ken Oath.