Stuff to do in Sydney

What a fantastic thread! Thanks to everyone!

Question regarding the walks...we are in fairly good shape and would love a walk around beaches and cliffs with views of Sydney and the sea. What would you recommend? Manly to the North Head or Bondi to Coogee? Or any others?

We only have 2 days in Sydney so one is for the Bridge, Botanic gardens and Opera House. The other is for a little more "adventure".

• 5 months later...

But if any Sydneyites were to answer, I bet they'd say either of those walks is great. With Bondi to Coogee, your views will be out to sea (unless you stop at The Gap first, where you can view Northhead across the harbour entrance, from Southhead). If the timing is right for the ferry to Watson's Bay, that adds an element. You can walk from the Gap to Bondi for extra walking, or take a bus.

The ferry to Manly will give you great views, as has already been mentioned here.

I must confess to not having done either of these walks, but only being at a few points along the way of each.

Both great.

Not sure when you're going; perhaps you've already been there, done that?? Great city, that's for sure.

--May

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a very pleasant Harbourfront walk of 5 klms (suitable for wheelchair users as well) - that I never tire of. It goes past Circular Quay ( where all the ferries leave from - and a great place for "people watching", past the outside of the Opera House, around the perimeter of the Botanic gardens, past Mrs Macquarie's chair, to the updated and now expensive Harbourside suburb of Wooloomooloo (say that fast, 3 times after a few drinks!), down Macquarie Street back to Circular Quay - lots of places to stop at on the way

Here is the Google map of the walk

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Thx for posting; thinking of going to China Doll or the Indian restaurant at Wooloomooloo. Just not sure we'd be paying for the view rather than enjoying the food. Anybody have an opinion?

Thanks for posting, Barry!

And my favourite walk in Sydney -- from the Overseas Passenger Terminal is here

Up Argyle Street, through the Argile Cut, past the First Garrison Church to .......... Australia's BEST pub -- The Lord Nelson

It's a LOOOONG 600 metre walk up hill all the way -- but it's downhill all the way back to the ship!!:)

Barry

Thanks Barry for the interesting postings on walks. We will definitely do that 5k around the harborfront. I see someone mentioned going to an Indian restaurant. That is our favorite as well, do you know of a good one? We will be staying at The Russell in the Rocks.

There is a very pleasant Harbourfront walk of 5 klms (suitable for wheelchair users as well) - that I never tire of. It goes past Circular Quay ( where all the ferries leave from - and a great place for "people watching", past the outside of the Opera House, around the perimeter of the Botanic gardens, past Mrs Macquarie's chair, to the updated and now expensive Harbourside suburb of Wooloomooloo (say that fast, 3 times after a few drinks!), down Macquarie Street back to Circular Quay - lots of places to stop at on the way

Here is the Google map of the walk

Barry

We did this walk in November and it was wonderful. We left around 8am and there were a lot less people around when we started the walk. This gave us the chance to take a lot of nice photos. The area was a lot more crowded when we returned.

I'm the one who mentioned Indian, and I'm also from Tampa!

We'll be in Sydney from the 12th to the 16th of January. How about you? I looked on TripAdvisor or Yelp, I can't remember which, but I figure I'll have some time at the airport to look again and make my restaurant list!

--May

Thanks for this great thread!

We plan to take the Voyager OTS out of Sydney in December.

What's the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the airport and how long would the transfer take?

We haven't confirmed our flights.

Either we arrive before 9am or around noon.

What's the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the airport and how long would the transfer take?
Taxi; 20 minutes.

Are you planning to fly overnight from Singapore to Sydney to arrive on the morning of the cruise? That would be taking on quite a lot of risk.

Taxi; 20 minutes.

Are you planning to fly overnight from Singapore to Sydney to arrive on the morning of the cruise? That would be taking on quite a lot of risk.

Yes, that is the plan, at least for now.

What are the risks?

I suppose plane delays could be one.

Another could be luggage not arriving?

If it is too risky, we could consider flying into Sydney one day earlier, which means we have to stay one night pre-cruise.

What are the risks?

I suppose plane delays could be one.

Another could be luggage not arriving?

Those are the key risks.

In particular, what if you had a 4-hour, 6-hour or overnight mechanical delay? That's the sort of moderate delay for which the airline would probably simply keep you delayed; you would not be put onto another flight (and it could be very difficult anyway). Then you could miss the ship or be cutting it very close indeed.

At least from Singapore, you'd have the option (depending on how tied you are to particular airlines) of taking a day flight the day before you cruise, so that you'd arrive in Sydney the evening before your ship sails. Or you could fly overnight the night before that, and have a full day and night in Sydney before embarkation.

If you don't like riding in taxis (like me) - there is a shuttle bus (actually a people mover van) that operates from the airport to the cruise terminal

http://www.busybuses.com.au/transfers.php

Here are all the options http:// http://cruisesfromsydney.com/Resources/AirportTransfers.aspx

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Have seen Hunter Valley mentioned once. We are going to be in Sydney for 5 days before our cruise and have talked about doing a day trip. We both like Shiraz and want to get some to take on the ship. Any opinions, is it worth a day trip.

Thanks.

Have seen Hunter Valley mentioned once. We are going to be in Sydney for 5 days before our cruise and have talked about doing a day trip. We both like Shiraz and want to get some to take on the ship. Any opinions, is it worth a day trip.

Thanks.

I would think so - pics here - wine country .. Some BIG Shiraz wines from the Hunter!! :)

http://www.wineaustralia.com/australia/Default.aspx?tabid=4470

"Shiraz: The Hunter Valley imprints its regional stamp on Shiraz wines. The typical young Hunter Valley Shiraz is a medium bodied wine showing red and dark berries, spices and plenty of soft tannin. It is quite deceptive, as the best can age for a considerable time, more than their constitution often suggests. With bottle-age, it becomes much more complex, with earthy, leathery overtones and a beautiful perfume. It also acquires a silkiness and grace, becoming a smooth, wonderfully complex and richly flavoured wine."

However what the Hunter is REALLY famous for are their Semillons -- especially an aged one. A good Hunter Valley Semillon (white) about 10 years old is unbelievable.

"Hunter Valley Semillon is described by international wine experts as “Australia’s wine gift to world” – it is the highest quality, purest expression of dry white Semillon wine produced anywhere on the globe." http://www.huntersemillonandseafood.com.au/hunter_semillon.html

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I would think so - pics here - wine country .. Some BIG Shiraz wines from the Hunter!! :)

http://www.wineaustralia.com/australia/Default.aspx?tabid=4470

"Shiraz: The Hunter Valley imprints its regional stamp on Shiraz wines. The typical young Hunter Valley Shiraz is a medium bodied wine showing red and dark berries, spices and plenty of soft tannin. It is quite deceptive, as the best can age for a considerable time, more than their constitution often suggests. With bottle-age, it becomes much more complex, with earthy, leathery overtones and a beautiful perfume. It also acquires a silkiness and grace, becoming a smooth, wonderfully complex and richly flavoured wine."

However what the Hunter is REALLY famous for are their Semillons -- especially an aged one. A good Hunter Valley Semillon (white) about 10 years old is unbelievable.

"Hunter Valley Semillon is described by international wine experts as “Australia’s wine gift to world” – it is the highest quality, purest expression of dry white Semillon wine produced anywhere on the globe." http://www.huntersemillonandseafood.com.au/hunter_semillon.html

Barry

Thanks for your help. I am excited about the Semillon, will they it. There are so many day trips it is hard deciding which will be best.

Again thanks.:)

Those are the key risks.

In particular, what if you had a 4-hour, 6-hour or overnight mechanical delay? That's the sort of moderate delay for which the airline would probably simply keep you delayed; you would not be put onto another flight (and it could be very difficult anyway). Then you could miss the ship or be cutting it very close indeed.

At least from Singapore, you'd have the option (depending on how tied you are to particular airlines) of taking a day flight the day before you cruise, so that you'd arrive in Sydney the evening before your ship sails. Or you could fly overnight the night before that, and have a full day and night in Sydney before embarkation.

Thanks for the suggestions. Certainly food for thought!

We plan to fly by Singapore airlines and they fly 4 times a day to Sydney. Singapore is the hub for SQ. If the plane has a significant mechanical fault that requires an extended delay, SQ would deploy another plane in order to minimise the delay. Commercially they do this because any delay of the SQ flight going out to Sydney would have knock-on impact on the returning flight from Sydney (or any other destination). As a premium full service carrier, SQ aims to avoid this. Therefore I think the flight risk is mitigated.

Regardless, I thank you for the suggestion because it may be good for my family to spend one night Pre cruise to enjoy beautiful Sydney.

Say we indeed choose to take up the one night Pre cruise option, would anybody know of a suitable hotel for my family? (2 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 7).

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks for the suggestions. Certainly food for thought!

Regardless, I thank you for the suggestion because it may be good for my family to spend one night Pre cruise to enjoy beautiful Sydney.

Say we indeed choose to take up the one night Pre cruise option, would anybody know of a suitable hotel for my family? (2 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 7).

You could try the YHA at The Rocks. Unlike many traditional hotels in the area near the overseas terminal they do have 4 bed rooms for families. Many including The Holiday Inn have a maximum room capacity of 3 guests unless you book a suite or an apartment. You need to book YHA family room well ahead. You can check it out on this link and read some comments by CCers on this accommodatiion option on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536105

Colleen

that was one of the best things I did in Sydney - really interesting and took us to parts I never would have seen. The Rocks area is the historic old part of Sydney. Glad you mentioned getting lost in The Rocks

Also recommend taking a Blue Mountain tour if anyone has time.

Edited by genealogyfan