travel insurance horror story

Lindypops

As well and checking your insurance covers cruising,this just shows what can happen if you don't declare any preexisting medical conditions.

A friend of a friend has mild asthma and did not declare it when she took out the policy.

She few with a friend to New york to pick up a cruise half way across the atlantic she became ill and the crew thought she was having a heart attack. They diverted the plane to Canada and took them off and to hospital. They said actually she had had a severe asthma attack.

by this time they had missed the ship departure and decided to come home.

Insurance company provisionally said they would pay but the girls had to pay for the flights home £1500.

Back at home Insurance company contacted her doctor and found out that she had been to see them about her asthma. They are now refusing to pay for anything and she is expecting a bill from the airline for the diverting of the plane.

Insurance is a mine field.

A hard lesson and thankfully the person is alright.

However, foolhardy to not declare ANY pre exisiting condition, especially one that can have fatal consequences, even if it has been well controlled previously.

Travel insurance companies try and weedle their way out of paying up these days for anything! Name and Shame this company so that we can avoid them!

As I understand it you now need to inform them of everything you have ever had and/or suffer(ed) from in the last 3 years no matter how serious including hayfever, colds and flu, headaches, toothache and any other insignificant minor ailments you may have seen your doctor / dentist for.

I had to declare sea sickness to the AA this year, even though I've never been sea sick, but because I saw my doctor for the tablets!:eek:

The banks are just trying to get back their losses! Greedy B$%t$rds :mad::mad::mad:

And it isn't just your conditions that need declaring: medical conditions affecting everyone upon whom the holiday depends should also be advised to your insurers in case you have to cancel/curtail - this means parents/offspring and goodness knows who else. A minefield.

Mary

It is a difficult one - I have just started seeing my GP as I have been losing my voice, he thinks it could be either an acid reflux or I could have nodules on my larynx.

It will take some time to have a proper diagnosis but I suppose I should be declaring this before I go on holiday.

It's a bit of a minefield.

If you don't declare a pre-existing condition you are effectively taking a chance that you will get away with it. People can often do this to lower the cost of insurance, not suggesting this was the case here.

I would rather pay a higher premium and know I was fully covered.

I think the insurance company in this story reacted in exactly the right manner. Why would they do anything else and why would they be shamed by naming them, surely they have not done anything wrong?

Gerry

As someone who has recentley had the drama of my husband being taken ill on ship with 2 days in the ships hospital then an ambulance transfer to a clinic in Miami with an ok to fly home, taken ill on the flight and therefore an ambulance waiting at heathrow (oh the joy to be back on English soil!!) and now the bank insurance has paid up which is a massive relief. but he had acute endocarditis 4 years ago and we have had to pay massive amounts to get any insurance but luckily things are getting to a better place BUT if you take any prescription drugs they must be declared, even painkillers and anti depressants, just tell the insurance companys, it may seem trivial, anything that is prescribed has to be declared, I am so shocked how many people do not realise how important this is.

Hope all have a safe cruise

Sue

Travel insurance companies try and weedle their way out of paying up these days for anything! Name and Shame this company so that we can avoid them!

As I understand it you now need to inform them of everything you have ever had and/or suffer(ed) from in the last 3 years no matter how serious including hayfever, colds and flu, headaches, toothache and any other insignificant minor ailments you may have seen your doctor / dentist for.

I had to declare sea sickness to the AA this year, even though I've never been sea sick, but because I saw my doctor for the tablets!:eek:

The banks are just trying to get back their losses! Greedy B$%t$rds :mad::mad::mad:

Oh please....

Why should the insurance company pay out when the policyholder has given them wrong information? The condition that was not declared was asthma, and the condition that caused the refused claim was asthma. They were entirely justified, and the company has nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes, it is a hard lesson to learn, but insurance is a contract of uberrimae fidei and so witholding anything relevant - whether you are asked about it or not - is capable of voiding the contract.

WD

Oh please....

Why should the insurance company pay out when the policyholder has given them wrong information? The condition that was not declared was asthma, and the condition that caused the refused claim was asthma. They were entirely justified, and the company has nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes, it is a hard lesson to learn, but insurance is a contract of uberrimae fidei and so witholding anything relevant - whether you are asked about it or not - is capable of voiding the contract.

WD

Oh you're back are you!

What if you unintentionally forget to declare a medical condition? How many would declare their athletes foot, ingrowing toenails or that they have a bridge or a crown?

Should every person in the country declare their dental caries? We've all got it and it's a pre existing medical condition!

If the Dr has prescribed a bottle of Gaviscon (which is the most popularly subscribed medicine in the UK) and you didn't declare it and subsequently you catch one of the nasty vomiting viruses or have a heart attack (because what you thought was gastric reflux was more serious than you thought) then you shouldn't be able to claim your insurance?

Alternatively if you bought your Gaviscon at the supermarket, then you have "self medicated" in which case the condition goes unnoticed or undiagnosed so you could claim ..... surely this isn't right

How long before insurance companies check your clubcard or nectar card to see which non prescription medicines you have bought to worm their way out of paying up for expensive claims!

If the OP friend had mild asthma then quite rightly they should have declared it, however if it was diagnosed 20 years ago and no medication has ever been prescribed and to all intents and purposes the patient had forgotton, should they be penalised? Some cases aren't always as clear cut as they seem!

Should the insurance companies not pay out to an Alzheimers patient because they forgot to declare something?

I totally agree with William on this one - the condition she didn't declare was responsible for her illness and the expenses that were subsequently incurred (even if at first it was presumed to be something else) therefore, as she hadn't declared the condition - she could have told them she was treated for it in the past but was not currently on treatment for it - she shouldn't be covered for any claims resulting from that condition.

I recently read of a situation where a holiday maker was refused a claim on their insurance because s/he didn't declare her/his father had had a specific condition - he wasn't even aware that it was the case so couldn't declare it. Somehow the insurance company became aware of the fathers condition and refused to pay out on non-disclosure. I believe the case is now with the ombudsman for review.

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the passenger, it must be dreadful to be refused a substantial claim and to know a huge bill is coming their way as a result. The insurance companies are so much clearer now about asking about conditions you receive any treatment for, see a doctor about or if you are having or waiting for tests for any condition.

Feebee_71

I totally understand the importance of declaring a pre-existing condition before your holiday but it does seem that more and more insurers start the claim by looking for ways NOT to pay than to pay.

My mother broke her wrist when she was in Bulgaria and did everything by the book, her insurance immediately turned her down as they said the doctor didn't fax through some information, even though the doctor had given my mother a record of all that he did.

The money was paid eventually but the company tried to make it as difficult as possible.

I totally understand the importance of declaring a pre-existing condition before your holiday but it does seem that more and more insurers start the claim by looking for ways NOT to pay than to pay.

My mother broke her wrist when she was in Bulgaria and did everything by the book, her insurance immediately turned her down as they said the doctor didn't fax through some information, even though the doctor had given my mother a record of all that he did.

The money was paid eventually but the company tried to make it as difficult as possible.

I must confess to getting frustrated when I hear about how insurance companies are 'looking for ways not to pay'

It would be very easy for anyone to suggest person 'a' tried to get medical insurance cover on the cheap by not declaring a known condition. That has not been suggested but let us all not pretend that this does not happen.

Would we all prefer insurance companies to pay out at the drop of a hat, or would we prefer that claims are quite rightly very fairly looked at and if all the requirements are met, then they pay up?

As had been previously stated asthma can be a very serious condition and it is not something anyone can 'forget' to declare when answering the very simple question about known medical conditions.

How many would declare their athletes foot, ingrowing toenails

If I have an ingrowing toe-nail that has poisoned the relevant toe, I fill out a declaration and do not bother to get the toe treated and when I hobble onboard my cruise ship I then suddenly decide that the pain is too much, then yes I do feel that perhaps I am claiming for a known medical condition, but common sense must always prevail and hopefully insurance companies apply that.

Toe nails do not grow a quarter of an inch over night :)

Oh you're back are you!

I knew you'd be missing me

What if you unintentionally forget to declare a medical condition?

The point is quite simple - you should declare everything that has any relevance to the cover that you are buying. Forgetting is clearly not going to be an excuse that either would or should get you anywhere.

There will, of course, be grey areas but ultimately if in doubt - declare it. That is the whole basis of a contract of uberrimae fidei.

Or do you want your insurance costs to go up because of those who have misled the insurance company and none the less been paid out?

WD

Would we all prefer insurance companies to pay out at the drop of a hat, or would we prefer that claims are quite rightly very fairly looked at and if all the requirements are met, then they pay up?

I think there is a vast difference between looking at ways not to pay rather than checking all the requirements are met.

Making a claim against the medical part of the insurance would suggest that the person claiming has gone through some medical problems while they are abroad which is stressful enough but to have to 'do battle' when they return IMHO is plain wrong!

In my mother's case they didn't come back to her and say that they had no record of the fax from the doctor could she help with this, the letter said that there was no fax from the doctor therefore the claim had been rejected.

You may not like the fact that people like believe the insurance companies look for reasons not to pay, but that's a fact!

I hope I'm not tempting fate but I have travelled several times a year for the last 30+ years and have always had travel insurance, I have yet to make a claim, I just hope that if I do have to I have a more compassionate response than some people are met with, even if they are complying with the conditions of the policy itself.

You may not like the fact that people like believe the insurance companies look for reasons not to pay, but that's a fact!

Hi Catherine,

The joy of these forums is that folks can express their opinions on any given topic and I guess that might be described as a 'fact'

To claim that you believe all insurance companies look for reasons not to pay is in my opinion..... Just your opinion.

I totally accept your parents experience was not pleasant and you have rightly described what happened, but my experiences have been excellent so should I say it is a fact that ALL insurance companies are excellent? Of course not and I would feel the same as you if they tried to avoid payment.

I accept what you say about your parent experiences and they may well be facts but I still believe it might be incorrect to suggest all insurance companies try to avoid payment.

suggest that the person claiming has gone through some medical problems while they are abroad which is stressful enough but to have to 'do battle' when they return IMHO is plain wrong!

It would appear I might have misunderstood the experiences that the author is discussing. I thought they had an asthma attack whilst on holiday. This was an ongoing condition which they were aware of and had failed to declare this when applying for travel insurance? If that was correct then surely any fighting to make a claim is indeed going to be 'stressful'

Finally my wife was involved in a road traffic accident and the insurance company tried to give her £2000 for 'pain and suffering' She was never in pain and never 'suffered' from anything. She rightly returned the monies which we never fought for, nor even asked for.

The sad fact is as well, that asthma is normally fully covered by UK insurance company,s for FREE, I have always told our I?C about my partners asthma and they add it on, so , yes always tell them.

The main thing is, the person was safe, asthma is a horrid thing

Hi Catherine,

The joy of these forums is that folks can express their opinions on any given topic and I guess that might be described as a 'fact'

To claim that you believe all insurance companies look for reasons not to pay is in my opinion..... Just your opinion.

I totally accept your parents experience was not pleasant and you have rightly described what happened, but my experiences have been excellent so should I say it is a fact that ALL insurance companies are excellent? Of course not and I would feel the same as you if they tried to avoid payment.

I accept what you say about your parent experiences and they may well be facts but I still believe it might be incorrect to suggest all insurance companies try to avoid payment.

It would appear I might have misunderstood the experiences that the author is discussing. I thought they had an asthma attack whilst on holiday. This was an ongoing condition which they were aware of and had failed to declare this when applying for travel insurance? If that was correct then surely any fighting to make a claim is indeed going to be 'stressful'

Finally my wife was involved in a road traffic accident and the insurance company tried to give her £2000 for 'pain and suffering' She was never in pain and never 'suffered' from anything. She rightly returned the monies which we never fought for, nor even asked for.

I'm quite new here so don't want to get a bad reputation but while I don't mind being quoted I would prefer it was done accurately.

I didn't say that it was a fact that all insurance companies look at ways not to pay, I said more and more insurance companies are looking at ways not to pay out a claim, which is obviously quite different.

The only comment I made regarding something being a 'fact' is that people believe that the insurance companies look for ways not to pay, I know numerous people who believe that so it is a fact - I'm not sure why I am wrong in saying this as I know people who believe this, how can it not be a fact :confused: The fact is that people are saying it, not that it's true (which I never said it was!)

I wasn't specifically refering to the op when I said that to be ill abroad and then to have to fight for a claim is wrong, I believe that is wrong.

If a person hasn't ensured they have sufficient cover for where they go, what they do or pre-existing conditions I have some sympathy for them if they have a claim rejected but agree it is their fault.

My problem is where a genuine claim is made (as in my mothers case) all the correct procedures are followed and yet for many people the first response they get from an insurance company is a rejection.

I am very glad that your experience was a positive one - I recently had to make a claim against my building insurance regarding quite a major problem and they were excellent, but not everyone has the same experience.

As I said, I don't want to get a reputation and please, by all means quote me as often as you like, but I would like it to be an accurate reflection of what I say.

I tell them everything.. even minor ailments as you never know AND you know the calls are recorded.. so if they then try to say blah blah at a later date I can say well I did tell you but your opertator said .... etc etc...
On a serious note I once tried to use a recorded phone call to corroborate what I had discussed with an Internet provider and the response was, "Calls may be recorded and yours was not!"

I wonder what the legal requirement is regarding the keeping of recorded telephone calls and why would they keep them for any length of time? (question)

I wonder if it would be better to keep a copy of the declaration especially as the costs might prove to be horrendous.

I disagree totally. The insurer requires that all pre-existing conditions be revealed. You fulfill your obligations and the insurance company will fulfill theirs. Nothing to see here.

I'm an independent certified financial planner, hence my username. I sell insurance as part of my business (including travel medical) so I think I know how this works. I sometimes hear people say that insurers will do anything to get out of paying claims. If I think an insurer is wrong, I would advocate on behalf of my client.

Here is how premiums are determined. Essentially, it's the estimated cost of claims (they're really good at making this estimate) + costs + profit = total premiums. When I write up an application, I tell my client to disclose absolutely everything. Everything! If you're not sure if it's relevant, declare it anyway. It doesn't hurt, but it sure can hurt you if you don't.

Insurance companies will look after their interests, and indirectly ours. If you don't declare something, darn right they will challenge - and they should. If they didn't, all of our premiums would go up. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to pay higher premiums because insurance companies try to be nice guys.

I'm sure someone will say that insurance companies sometimes will wrongly refuse a claim. I read a lot on this subject and have seen the odd case that are very gray and the insurer may have erred, but those are like one in thousands.

Bottom line: disclose everything. That's how you protect yourself. Don't do so and you're inviting trouble. I don't get this attitude that insurers are out to screw us.

Do you operate in Britain?

No, in Canada. By the way, I should add that I always encourage my clients to load up on medical coverage, but I don't believe in cancellation or lost-luggage insurance, other than what you can get on a credit card. I have my reasons. :D

Archived