overnight in PV - dinner recommendations?

fionan

So, now we are overnighting in PV we'd like to have dinner onshore. Can anyone recommend a restaurant serving authentic Mexican food, preferably with a modern twist.

Plenty of choices in PV.

Along the Malecon with seaview La Chatta, later at night often with mariacchi music.

Higher up in the hills near old town, overviewing PV and the bay- Casa Isabel - terrific at sunset.

Local favorites: La Palapa, Langustines (both right on Los Muertes beach).

Also very good: No way Jose, El Arranyan (expensive).

Just to name a few.

I think that La Palapa is as expensive (if not more) than El Arrayan. Last time I was at La Palapa (we have been many times and the menu prices haven't changed that much - 2006, 2008, 2009 & 2010) the "good" steak (as in the non-national cut) was over 400 pesos (at the time it equaled about $42 - $45US) with the chicken dishes being cheaper at 200p or just above. The cheapest (drinkable) bottle of wine was around 480 - 500 pesos/bottle (there could be slightly cheaper Mexican/Spanish wine but we chose the cheapest Australian was cost $8.99 in the liquor store here - lol). (Imported wine in Mexico is very expensive) I don't eat seafood but I know the seafood prices are much higher than the chicken/pork. Their menus online don't have any prices, so just giving you a heads up as I know that a lot of people don't want to spend that kind of money. Their appies run from around 800p to 140p or more. So, it does make for a very expensive evening if you do enjoy a bottle of wine like we do. The drinks are higher end prices as well. I believe that a glass of a nice merlot was around 85-90 pesos. We usually spend around $150-$200US equivalent (including tip) when we go there. It is my favourite restaurant in the world for atmosphere, beachfront view, service, music, food etc. but it ain't cheap.

La Chata is nice. Great atmosphere and view from the Malecon - the food is pretty good and the service is very good and friendly.

Casa Isabel has a great view but the two times I have eaten there - well, it was definitely less than stellar. I know locals and tourists rave about it (they are all friends with the owner) but to me - it is a case of "view over food". We took a friend with us for lunch and were we highly embarrassed that we recommended it as we couldn't even eat our lunch. I have a friend that raves about it but we did not care for the food at all and we also had the worst service one time - took over 1/2 hr. to get drinks and we were only one of 3 tables there at the time. Maybe we just had terrible luck at the time but I wouldn't go there to eat again. I would recommend it for drinks and the view.

Vista Grill is also owned by La Palapa and is up in the same area as Casa Isabel and is a fantastic restaurant. Of course - the pricing is pretty much the same as La Palapa - high end fine dining prices, but excellent food.

There are about 1000 restaurants in PV (since I last researched anyways) so there are LOTS of choices. Like I said - the best info is on TA - great restaurant reviews of all the restaurants. We once ate at about 46 restaurants in 16 days there - haha - we loved every minute of it! We stay on land for as long as we can (last time was 19 days) and we love it. We are going soon on a cruise and we have so many favourites - I am soooo torn over which one to eat at (as we will only have 1 night off the ship).

If you like Italian - La Dolce Vita has THE best pizza - yummmm. It has a nice view on the Malecon but gets very busy. They have good affordable meals (cheaper than the others I mentioned probably around 220p or lower) - no points for presentation though - it is not fancy - but tastes good. Their tiramisu is TO DIE FOR (IMHO).

There are also fantastic restaurants in the Marina (much closer to the ship). Victor's Cafe Tacuba is very cheap and great beef quesadillas, people rave about his shrimp, very good chicken enchilados, great guac. It has a nice setting right on the water in the Marina. Also, when you order a drink/cerveza - he gives you a free shot of tequila each time - lol. I don't recommend the fajitas here though - they are not the best. I do, however, recommend Fajita Bananas in the Marina. It is a small restaurant, again, right on the water in the Marina and imho, they have THE BEST FAJITAS. (I used to think that Fajita Republic had the best ones but they have gone downhill in my opinion over the last couple of years). Porto Bello is a very nice Italian restaurant in the Marina as well - excellent food - again - right on the water.

Lots of choices - too many!!

Have a great time!

Canuck

Forgot to tell you that I call La Palapa's cuisine "eclectic" Mexican as in you will not find your normal run of the mill Mexican cuisine. You will find mole sauces and other authentic Mexican dishes etc. but you have seafood, chicken, pork and beef - fine dining "fancy" dishes. I sometimes find it hard to eat there with my food allergies. It is not your "normal" food is what I am trying to say. They do have some items for lunch that are more "run of the mill" Mexican like tacos, fajitas (even though those are not "really" Mexican...) but even the fajitas are still "eclectic/different" as the fajitas have pineapple in them for example. There is a definite "Asian" influence at La Palapa. Still love this restaurant - I am not IN ANY WAY downing it - I just know that it is recommended on CC often and I just want people to know what they are getting before they take a minimum 1/2 hr to over an hour cab to get there (depending on traffic/what night etc. from the ship). Hope this helps you.

El Dorado next door has more "normal" offerings if you want to say it that way. It is a lot cheaper than La Palapa - of course, the food is not as excellent, but it is quite good, if you are looking for a more "simple" straightforward meal and it is oceanfront as well.

Daquiri Dick's is another favourite of ours. A beautiful restaurant - again, oceanfront. It is owned by Americans (the last time I checked anyways). Their food has also been excellent for us. Again, a little pricey, but not too too bad. They may have THE best bread/buns in all of PV (that we have tried anyways!)

There are tons of oceanfront restaurants on Los Muertos Beach. Just walk past them all - they all have menus outside so you can peruse.

Have fun!

Canuck

One more...El Baracuda, next to Hotel Buenaventura. More or less end of hotelzone and before centro.

Right on the beach, great sunset of course. Try their Molcajeta, sizzling hot volcanopot filled with either steak, shrimp or combination.

Not on the dinermenu (but on the lunchmenu) but they will prepare this if you ask for it. Also their tacos are great.

http://www.banderasnews.com/0808/rr-elbarracuda.htm

Chanuckcruizer, last week we had (again) diner in Casa Isabel and the food and service were very good. All 4 persons had a different meal and all were very happy. (And we donot know or saw the owner...).

Not all restaurants on the Malecon are good, but in general are very expensive since they cater mostly to tourists. (La Chata excepted).

Casa Isabel has my vote but what about

http://www.teatrolimon.com/

True it is not real Mexican but it is in a real Mexican neighbourhood.

I have always thought La Palapa was more expensive then El Arrayan BUT it has a much better view.....LOL

One restaurant that we stumbled on last July was

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1526984-Reviews-El_Mole_de_Jovita-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

Tt was truly incredible and we are counting the days down till May 21st when we return to PV. A few blocks up from the beach no real view BUT the food and service were incredible and the prices were very good as well.

P.S This entire thread has me hungry now:D

One more...El Baracuda, next to Hotel Buenaventura. More or less end of hotelzone and before centro.

Right on the beach, great sunset of course. Try their Molcajeta, sizzling hot volcanopot filled with either steak, shrimp or combination.

Not on the dinermenu (but on the lunchmenu) but they will prepare this if you ask for it. Also their tacos are great.

http://www.banderasnews.com/0808/rr-elbarracuda.htm

Chanuckcruizer, last week we had (again) diner in Casa Isabel and the food and service were very good. All 4 persons had a different meal and all were very happy. (And we donot know or saw the owner...).

Not all restaurants on the Malecon are good, but in general are very expensive since they cater mostly to tourists. (La Chata excepted).

Hi Ine - Like I said, my friend loves CI and I know a lot of people do. The owner is a lovely woman, very hospitable and lots of people do know her (you are an exception of course:)) but we just didn't find the food was up to par on our visits. We could have had bad luck/a different cook/or something else went wrong....but you CANNOT beat the view from there - it is a special place.

I agree that not all restaurants on the Malecon are good - I never said that - but I have had lunch several times at La Chata and it has been okay to pretty good (not great). I have eaten at La Dolce Vita many times and it has always been good. We don't frequent restaurants on the Malecon except for those two - oh - and a drink at Cheeky Monkey.:D

Maybe we will try El Barracuda this time - I thought it was mainly seafood (I am allergic) so that is why we haven't gone there - I know it gets rave reviews. That molcajete sounds great!

Barcelona Tapas is also good with a nice view. Love Cafe des Artistes (but it is expensive too unless they still have their 3 course special for around 390pesos but that was a couple of years ago). Love The River Cafe as well - can't beat the setting.

quincy - Yes, Teatro Limon is great, but not Mexican, it is owned by a Canadian and has more "North American" fare. It definitely is an event eating there as you get to watch the chef cook in the open kitchen. The service is fabulous and yes - you really are in an authentic Mexican neighbourhood there.:)

There are so many restaurants and not enough time!! Now I am getting hungry too!:eek:

Canuck

For your next visit try to visit some of those new places.

Not in the touristic area but more and more restaurants are opening in Fluvial, the section of town not too far from the hotelzone.

La Piazetta (italian restaurant in old town) has opened a place there.

Very populair is Alcatraces (almost opposite Costco) Nice place, also serving breakfast. http://www.vallartaonline.com/news/LosAlcatraces/

Las Adelitas: In Aldalitas you will find mariacchis playing on Friday and Saturdaynight and on Sundayafternoon. http://lasadelitas.com/

All those places are busy with mexicans, great food, hardly any tourists.

What a fun topic. We spend about 2 months a year in PV and normally dine in more then 50 restaurants during our visit (just returned from PV last week). We find some of the posts here real interesting so here is our take on the subject. First, there are many different types of "real Mexican food" since their cuisine is very regional. As to the comments about Teatro Limon, we personally love this restaurant (and its Canadian owner Bruce) but it has eclectic Continental food...not Mexican. Plus, its in a ultra modern (chic) setting it reminds us of anything not Mexican. As to La Palapa, we think the place is totally overpriced....but it does have pretty good food. Dacquari Dicks is a nice restaurant, but has increased their priced to a point where we no longer count it as a favorite. And then we have Casa Isabelle (Canadian owned) where we (and our friends) keep finding its food and service to be very very uneven. Nobody mentioned the Red Cabbage (we do not like this restaurant) that is well known for its truly authentic Mexican food. El Barricuda.....not even sure how that got in this list but it would not even rate in our top 200 PV restaurants. El Arrayon is great for some real Mexican cuisine (you can have crickets as well as cactus soup if you so please). La Piazetta and also La Dolce Vita (both mentioned above) are both decent southern Italian restaurants (pizza, Lasagna, etc) but the only thing Mexican about these places is the fact that you can pay in Pesos! So where would we go for a pretty authentic local cuisine experience? For seafood (with a Mexican slant) it would be Mariscos Polo (it has gotten so popular it can be hard to get a table) or perhaps El Brujo (both popular southside restaurants without high prices). For a bit more upscale experience we really like Casa Naranjo where the two chefs really know hot to prepare classic Mexican haute cuisine. Now we do have an "editioral comment." The OP specifically asked for "authentic Mexican food" which does not mean pizza, Spanish Tapas, French, etc. For high priced haute Mexican it would be hard to beat Trio....considered by many to be one of the top 2 or 3 Mexican restaurants in the region (although its Chef's are European).

Hank

Hank - I assume you were referring to me when you stated that the OP asked for authentic Mexican with a modern twist. I do realize that I did not name "authentic" Mexican restaurants but what you might not realize is that ALL SHIPS have pulled out of Mazatlan now and HAL has changed the itinerary to an overnight in PV. So, I know that a lot of people are concerned now about what to do/haven't had the time to do research etc. & they are scrambling for information and I figured I could also help others by posting names of some of the restaurants we liked (and I was also answering Ine and Quincy in my posts). I never said Bruce had Mexican food - in fact I said he didn't....he is in a Mexican neighbourhood though.:D I also said "if you like Italian"....so I was not telling people that they were all Mexican restaurants.

I know that Trio is supposed to be wonderful - I forgot about that one actually. IWe actually went there one night but after reading the menu - realized that I could not eat there. You see I have severe food allergies, nuts and seafood being two of them, so I don't seafood or too many fusion restaurants. I also should have mentioned Mariscos Polo as I do know about it, but again, I don't think about seafood too much.:) I also wanted to mention some restaurants that are cheaper in price and also more "Tex-Mex" (if you will) as I know "sometimes" cruisers are looking for Mexican and they "think" they are looking for "authentic" Mexican but they are really looking for fajitas etc. (no disrespect to the OP of course).

Didn't think I would have to explain my restaurant recommendations - but there you have it. Oh - I did say that La Palapa was expensive (you think it is overpriced, you may be right...) and the reason I explained in detail about La Palapa as I know that there are one or two cruisers that keep recommending it to people and there are no prices on their online menu - so I wanted people to be aware. A lot of cruisers do not want to have an expensive dinner as they have paid a lot for their cruise already and the food is included. We don't look for budget restaurants when we travel, but I know a lot of people do, so wanted the warning put out there.

Canuck

Canuck, I do agree with most of what you say. but we were simply trying to respond to the OPs question and not go off in all directions. Otherwise we could certainly talk about Italian, Spanish, Cuban, Steakhouses, American (also called Tex-Mex), French, German, etc. since PV has decent restaurants in all these categories (its one of the things we love about PV). As to La Palapa, they do have a terrific gourmet menu. When I want to pay $30 for 3 scallops (maybe they now give you 4) I might actually return. That being said we love to go into La Palapa late at night to have some drinks and enjoy the excellent music.

Oh, and we did forget one restaurant that impressed us this season. It's Epoca which recently got a new chef (the first female head chef in PV) where we were really impressed at dinner this year (but we only ate there one time).

Hank

Hank - well when it comes to PV and restaurants - I do go off in all directions "naturally" - can't help myself - as I love them ALLLLLL.:D We have had many bad meals on holidays in different places and it upsets me so much as you only have so many days to eat so I like to help people and tell them about good restaurant experiences. La Palapa is my favourite restaurant in the world for the atmosphere and the music, the setting etc. but I do agree that it is pricey (but last year we went to Cancun and Playa del Carmen - you want to talk about high prices!!!! Yeeesh!! PV is dirt cheap compared to there - even with their finest fine dining). But, when you don't eat seafood - you do save money.:) We have been to Epoca for lunch - very nice setting - will have to try again with the new chef.

Just got some disappointing news - we will NOT be overnighting in PV - we are going to Cabo TWICE instead (BLAHHH). Such a hassle waiting to tender and waiting back in line to tender again - takes a lot of your day away. So unfair - every other sailing but ours and one other - so, don't even know if we will get to PV now - everything could be changed:mad: I just wish that they would let us know where we will be on which dates so we can make plans!

Anyways - happy eating everyone!!

Canuck

Thanks guys, lots of great info here. I really appreciate it. I hope it's a useful thread for others - like you siad we are scrambling about for info at the last minute. Especially since we are flying a week early and so leave on friday.

Thanks guys, lots of great info here. I really appreciate it. I hope it's a useful thread for others - like you siad we are scrambling about for info at the last minute. Especially since we are flying a week early and so leave on friday.

Fionan - I hope you have a great time!!!!:)

Canuck

So, now we are overnighting in PV we'd like to have dinner onshore. Can anyone recommend a restaurant serving authentic Mexican food, preferably with a modern twist.

We eat out often with Hank and his wife and he didn't mention a few good ones that we all liked. One of them is No Way Jose and upstairs they have great music as well as very good food and good prices.

Possibly the best seafood platter we had was at Los Arbolitos and they have authentic mexican food as well.

Another place we really like is the Agave Grill which has authentic Mexican food. The food is excellent but liquor prices are very high so don't go thirsty! For tacos a small stand on Basillio Badillio is Pancho's tacos and they serve good tacos. Next door is Cafe Olla and they serve tex/mex food that is very reasonably priced and very popular. People line up on the sidewalk to get in. Drink prices are reasonable as well.

For oceanfront dining we like Coco Tropical for both the food and the scenery. Enjoy yourself wherever you go.

Wendy

We eat out often with Hank and his wife and he didn't mention a few good ones that we all liked. One of them is No Way Jose and upstairs they have great music as well as very good food and good prices.

Possibly the best seafood platter we had was at Los Arbolitos and they have authentic mexican food as well.

Another place we really like is the Agave Grill which has authentic Mexican food. The food is excellent but liquor prices are very high so don't go thirsty! For tacos a small stand on Basillio Badillio is Pancho's tacos and they serve good tacos. Next door is Cafe Olla and they serve tex/mex food that is very reasonably priced and very popular. People line up on the sidewalk to get in. Drink prices are reasonable as well.

For oceanfront dining we like Coco Tropical for both the food and the scenery. Enjoy yourself wherever you go.

Wendy

We all know that large nations such as Canada, the USA and Mexico have wide variances in cooking styles and ingredients based on the region you happen to be in that moment.

People often ask where they should go for “authentic Mexican food” when in Vallarta. Quite frankly, I don’t know what that is. So let me ask you … how would you describe a meal that would make it “authentic Mexican food”?

While we’re at it, what is authentic Canadian food? What is authentic US food?

We all know that large nations such as Canada, the USA and Mexico have wide variances in cooking styles and ingredients based on the region you happen to be in that moment.

People often ask where they should go for “authentic Mexican food” when in Vallarta. Quite frankly, I don’t know what that is. So let me ask you … how would you describe a meal that would make it “authentic Mexican food”?

While we’re at it, what is authentic Canadian food? Timmy Hortons?? ;)What is authentic US food? In N Out?? ;)

Good point :)

I went to a new Mexican restaurant here in Victoria that proudly proclaimed, "Real Authentic Mexican Food" Turns out taco salad, fajitas, nachos, burritios and chimichangas were tops of the small menu. I do not considered that to be "Real Authentic Mexican food" but rather Tex Mex, that said I do like Tex Mex.....however this Tex Mex made Taco Bell look good :(

I do consider El Mole de Jovita on Basillo Badillo to be authentic Mexican food...the owner's mother is the cook and she uses recipes that have been passed down through her family, her mole is outstanding. Also El Arrayan and what I like about that restaurant is that it is a combination of a lot of different Mexican regions.

That said, now that the OP is not overnighting it what about hitting a Taco Stand for an Authentic very cheap yummy lunch?? Marisma is the best one (IMHO) and is in the middle of Naranjo, between Basillio Badillo and Carranza, the hours are usually 9-5 and I believe they are closed Mondays. PLUS there is a store close by to get a cold beer to wash them down with.

Marisma is a walk up B.B in fact it is quite close to the tunnel BUT it is worth the walk up :)

This is a great list of taco stands that J.R made up on his website. I didn't know that Takos Panchos open at 3, usually when we are there they open around 6ish but this place is wonderful. LOVE IT

5. Takos Pancho’s. best Tacos al Pastor. 10 pesos. 3pm - late

http://vallartainfo.com/streetfood.html

YUM 9 weeks to go till I am back there :)

We were in Puerto Vallarta last Thursday and ate at Pipi's for the 4th time!! It is amazing and the atmosphere is so much fun!! Have also eaten at Ay Caramba up on the hill. The view is amazing and the food superb but it is more of a steak and seafood place. Pipi's is as Mexican as you can get and not very spendy either!! I highly recommend it!!

My wife is a nurse aboard a cruise ship that routinely stops in PV. I sailed with her for 2 weeks at the end of February 2011. The medical staff recommended this restaurant and I loved it so much, I made up some postcards for them. The postcard shows directions to the place, 5 minute walk from the cruise ship terminal. Try the guacamole - its fantastic. They make it right beside your table. Fresh and tasty!

The place is called La Abuela. I have attached the postcard to help you find it :)

Have fun!

Murray

1270482548_LaAbuelaMap.jpg.1a2a36593f401812cdddfec56c56e31b.jpg

Archived