Minimalist traveling with carry-on ? who's done it

htkodiak

have done the last 4 or 5 vacations with just a carry on. most were 7 days. about to go to hawaii for 7 days, only taking carry on and personal item. i used to overpack and have figured out what i really need and don't need. i would usually come back from a vaction and half of my suitcase was clean clothes.

My wife and I travel indefinitely with one maximum carry-on sized bag each and one backpack. My 4 year old daughter now pulls her own small carry-on. We travel this way whether we cruise, drive, or fly and it's such a relief to travel light. I don't see how people can stand dragging all that stuff with them.

It's really not hard to do. Just pack for 4 days, and plan to wear everything twice. When you travel for more than a week, plan a quick laundry stop (or if necessary do laundry in the sink). Use clothes that dry quickly.

We started doing this because of a threatened baggage-handler strike in the UK when we were traveling for our honeymoon, but we found it so refreshing that we've never looked back.

Does anyone know if freedom has do your own laudry aboard???? just wondering incase something happens and we need to wash something ...thank you

Yep! Sure does!

Name: Launderettes

Location: Riviera Deck 1 - midship / across from 1357 and 1359

Main Deck 2 - midship / across from 2365 and 2367

Upper Deck 6 - midship / across from 6385 and 6387

Empress Deck 7 - midship / across from 7337 and 7339

Verandah Deck 8 - midship / across from 8349 and 8351

Lido Deck 9 - midship / across from 9268 and 9270

Hours: hours posted on the door to the Laundry

Function: Self-Service Launderette

• 2 or 3 washers; 2 or 3 dryers; 1 iron and ironing board
  • Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener

We just did carry on bags and tote bags and did fine in the Caribbean. I think to Alaska, we will check one bag also, as we will be needing warm clothing also. We will make it a carry on bag size that we will check, so we can get on and off the ship by just wheeling on and off.

Archived