Flight time

colkeena

What time should we book a flight from New York to Detroit after our cruise?

Probably LAG and we will be taking the Cunard shuttle to the airport.

Want to give ourselves plenty of time.

Thanks

I suggest early afternoon if you are in real rush although you could self disembark at 7.30, if you can carry you own bags and be at the airport by 8.30 and flying between 10 and 11, but that might be a bit hectic.

I would not book a flight before 12pm at the earliest. If you are taking the Cunard shuttle to Laguardia, the one thing that could hold you up are passengers who ignore the departure time and are late for the bus. This happened to us on a TA return 3 years ago and a whole bus full of people waited almost 45 minutes for 2 passengers. They weren't held up by baggage or Cunard - they were simply thoughtless. If you have private transportation, early disembarkation would definitely help you catch an earlier flight.

What time should we book a flight from New York to Detroit after our cruise?

Probably LAG and we will be taking the Cunard shuttle to the airport.

Want to give ourselves plenty of time.

Thanks

Colkeena, what time of year, and what day of the week your voyage disembarks has an impact on traffic from Brooklyn to the airport. Disembarkation time also varies, depending on your booking category or if you decide to go with self-disembarkation. I understand there are Cunard tours from the ship to various airports that inculde a tour of NYC. But as others have said previously, private transport to the airport might work better for you depending on your flight schedule. I wouldn't book a fight earlier than 1pm local time, but I'd rather spend a night in NY and fly out the following day (of course, being a New Yorker, I would say that :D) Cheers, S.

PS No disrespect intended to previous posters: I read previous posts and my recommendation is for a later flight then they suggested. It's just that I have family in Brooklyn and Long Island, and I've spent more time in traffic delays on that route and more mad dashes to the airport than I care to remember, so perhaps I am overly cautious now.

When I asked Cunard that same question for when I disembarked QM2 on November 16 (I believe it was on a Tuesday) in NYC, Cunard advised booking no flights out of JFK before 1:00 pm.

I booked a Cunard bus transfer and was scanned off the ship around 8:15 There was an accident blocking all lanes on the expressway so our driver got off at the next exit and gave us a tour on surface streets to the airport. Delta was the second bus stop and I was in their VIP lounge by 10:45 in plenty of time for my 3:00 pm flight home.

I agree with Salacia, it is better to be safe than sorry so allow plenty of time for your flights as check-in and security wait times can be fluid and frustrating. It will minimize stress as well.

A taxi to LaGuardia is about $35. We carried our luggage off the ship last September and arrived at the airport by 10:00AM (this on a weekday). If you can carry your luggage there are almost no lines or crowds. If the ship offloads your luggage I would suggest not booking a flight any earlier than 4:00PM.

You have been given several good suggestions. Here are mine. I always have luggage, so self disembarkment is not realistic. I have noticed however that everyone is off the ship by about 10:30, and through customs and immigrations by 11:30. Give yourself an hour by car or bus to LGA and that says you can be at the airport by 12:30, latest. I would give myself another hour to get through check in and security, so any flight after 1:30 should be fine.

Remember your flying west, so you gain an hour. You can be to DET by 2:30 local, plenty of time to miss commute traffic.

In all likely hood you could be at the airport sooner. If you book the Cunard Bus, and tell them you have a 12:00 flight (you have to give them a 12:00 flight number too) they will make sure your off in time to make your flight.

I usually fly out of EWR and have always made my 1:30 flight, often getting there in time to get out sooner.

Mike.

Thanks for the comments.Our date is June 10.

June 1oth (your disembarkation date?) is a Friday, early summer in NY when traffic to Long Island (airport, Hamptoms and the East shore) tends to be rather heavy. Expect traffic delays to occur after noon, especially if good weather is in the forecast. Alternatively, as Mike mentioned, a flight out of Newark could work well for you if you find a good rate on airfare. I suggest you don't rely on finding a taxi-cab when you disembark as it is likely cabs will be scarce.

Regards,

-S

Can I get a Cunard shuttle to Newark?

Normally, yes. The cost is £29 or $40ish per person. This will be confirmed when you are on board. If they don't run one or you don't want to hang around for it then there are always car services, I always use Arecibo Cars on (718) 783-6465 their site is www.arecibocc.com/ .

They are Brooklyn based so if we dock in Manhattan it might need a rethink, they are very commercially priced and their cars are clean.

Archived