Upsell....I think not!

Spycee1

So, I got all excited when I received a voicemail from Carnival today. I managed to pull myself together and called them back. I was offered a "great" deal...for $400, I could move from my oceanview to a balcony. I laughed uncontrollably and then politely declined. At that price, I would have just booked a balcony in the first place!

We received a similar call asking if we would like to experience a balcony. I told her we have had a balconies and even a suite before. She said she just pick our name out at random. I wonder if these sales people at Carnival have any access to our past Carnival history. If so I also wonder if they even look at it. She seemed surprised when I turned down the upgrade offer.

Smart move! That "deal" sounds worse than the regular PG prices!

If I wanted to upgrade myself...I mean, upsell myself on our Easter cruise from our 4K IS to a 7A balcony, it would cost us just $300 for the 3 of us for a week under the PG rate. And I'm even too cheap...I mean, thrifty to pay that!

Hmmm...maybe that's why the Upgrade/Upsell Fairy never calls. :p

So, I got all excited when I received a voicemail from Carnival today. I managed to pull myself together and called them back. I was offered a "great" deal...for $400, I could move from my oceanview to a balcony. I laughed uncontrollably and then politely declined. At that price, I would have just booked a balcony in the first place!

What is up with this type of activity. I too received an upsell call on a recent cruise . The offer was $420 to move from our nice balcony to a suite . Which was ,if I remember correctly, just about the same cost of the suite if I booked on my own.

HELLO???????

This sounds like the upgrade fairy's evil twin full price troll. :mad: Stay away full price troll!!!

Received a call earlier this week offering to upgrade us from a balcony to a suite for $300 total for a week...That was exactly the same price I could have gone back online and upgraded myself for, ( so not exactly a great deal).

We actually went ahead and upgraded with the agent only because we'd already talked about doing it on our own for that amount, figure she might as well get the credit for it, etc...And we didn't let on that we weren't aware it wasn't exactly the "special" offer she was making it out to be.

We've only sailed in suites to date and she did reference that...Just as the sales rep who called to upsell us on our Imagination cruise in Oct...Offered us the penthouse suite for a $1000 more over a Cat. 12...We did turn that offer down. :rolleyes:

Smart move! That "deal" sounds worse than the regular PG prices!

If I wanted to upgrade myself...I mean, upsell myself on our Easter cruise from our 4K IS to a 7A balcony, it would cost us just $300 for the 3 of us for a week under the PG rate. And I'm even too cheap...I mean, thrifty to pay that!

Hmmm...maybe that's why the Upgrade/Upsell Fairy never calls. :p

Lady Jag, have you had a 4K before? If so, can you tell me more? I just booked one...

I think if I get an upsell call, it would go something like this...;)

Agent: "You have been randomly selected by Carnival for a great deal. You can upgrade for the low price of only $400 for the entire week!":D

Me: (With much exaggerated enthusiasm), "Really?? OMG, that's so awesome!! I can't wait to tell my significant other."

Agent: "Okay, first we need to..."

Me: (Innocently), "Oh, wait a sec...How much would it cost if I went online and just did the upgrade myself?":confused:

Agent: (Awkward silence followed by0, "Ummm...":(

Me: "Yeah, that's what I thought." * click *:cool:

Okay, now before I'm flamed, I don't really think I could be quite that rude. Let me just have my fantasy!;)

I think if I get an upsell call, it would go something like this...;)

Agent: "You have been randomly selected by Carnival for a great deal. You can upgrade for the low price of only $400 for the entire week!":D

Me: (With much exaggerated enthusiasm), "Really?? OMG, that's so awesome!! I can't wait to tell my significant other."

Agent: "Okay, first we need to..."

Me: (Innocently), "Oh, wait a sec...How much would it cost if I went online and just did the upgrade myself?":confused:

Agent: (Awkward silence followed by), "Ummm...":(

Me: "Yeah, that's what I thought." * click *:cool:

Okay, now before I'm flamed, I don't really think I could be quite that rude. Let me just have my fantasy!;)

I have several calls on my answering service about an upgrade because they want my room for a B2B for someone else. I have returned the calls and left messages with the person on how to contact me during the day, I work days. Nothing. I guess it wasn't that important to them.Kinda bugs me. I was hoping for a suite:p

I have several calls on my answering service about an upgrade because they want my room for a B2B for someone else. I have returned the calls and left messages with the person on how to contact me during the day, I work days. Nothing. I guess it wasn't that important to them.Kinda bugs me. I was hoping for a suite:p

My PVP told me that there are just two agents who handle this (just telling you what I've been told). I had an upsell call one evening ten mins before they quit for the day and I missed it. Also got an email. I left several messages and retuned the email and did not hear back until the afternoon of the following day. The person simply had personal business to take care that took longer than expected. She apologized although it would have been nice for her to leave an out of office message on her voicemail.

Anyway, my PVP even tried the other agent and their supervisor during the time I could not get a response. We could not get a response from them either. My urgency was I knew what I was going for was limited. Had we hit the weekend (and the agent said she didn't work the weekend), I may have lost out.

And yes, the deal was worth the chase.

Archived