princess lodge to Denali NP visitor center

razerbackmom

It's over a mile, depending on where you're starting from, up to about a mile and a half. It's a fairly flat path, but I would plan on 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to walk there. Maybe longer if you are hauling a lot of stuff. You're probably better off changing to a later shuttle and taking the Princess bus to the WAC (not the Visitor's Center).

Again, as noted above. you are NOT going to be going to the Visitor Center, if you are taking the Park Shuttle bus. It's the Access Center. TWO different locations. You do have to bring all your own food and drink with you. There is a path that goes between the two locations. Easy to find. Allow even more time than you think, if you have to pick up your tickets. It's very worthwhile to be at the front of the boarding line, for the best selection of seats. And those lines start by 30 minutes prior.

We have booked the park shuttle to Wonder Lake on our own. I know that we will have to bring food, water, and anything else we will need for the day. My reservation states that we need to be at the WAC by 7 for the 7:30 shuttle. When I talked to the reservationist for the NP she told me that you could walk from the lodge to the WAC. Has anyone actually done this? I just want to allow enough time to get there. Thanks for the heads up about trying to be first in line.

We have booked the park shuttle to Wonder Lake on our own. I know that we will have to bring food, water, and anything else we will need for the day. My reservation states that we need to be at the WAC by 7 for the 7:30 shuttle. When I talked to the reservationist for the NP she told me that you could walk from the lodge to the WAC. Has anyone actually done this? I just want to allow enough time to get there. Thanks for the heads up about trying to be first in line.

Yes, plenty of people have done walking in this area. As I note- it is a side walk path, simple, walk along the Parks Highway, turn right, up grade, turn right at the building- Access Center. Big Parking lot, big building. BUT, hauling stuff, isn't going to be easy, as it seems to double in weight by the mile. :) I would allow twice the time,you think you'll need.

When are you going???

We will be doing the shuttle Sept. 1. If we allow 45 minutes to an hour I don't think we will have any problem. After we leave the Denali area we are renting a car in Anchorage and exploring the Kenai area.

Just a suggestion- since you have opted for a car to tour the Kenai Peninsula (Kenai is a city), having that car in the Denali Park, is FAR superior then not having one. Especially in your timeframe, Denali is fantastic. To Savage River, it can be loaded with moose and caribou in the evening. Add Northern Lights, which you are far better off, driving out of lit congested areas. Plus all the attractions along the way.

Archived