Fan??

I was reading the "Have you ever been to the naughty room" thread and I noticed that several people have had their fans taken? I look on the list of prohibited items and nowhere did it say anything about a fan?

We are cruising on Saturday and my mother has slept with a fan forever and takes one everywhere with her (including on several past cruises, including cruises with RCCL).

Why are they taking the fans? Is there any way around this?:eek:

I was reading the "Have you ever been to the naughty room" thread and I noticed that several people have had their fans taken? I look on the list of prohibited items and nowhere did it say anything about a fan?

We are cruising on Saturday and my mother has slept with a fan forever and takes one everywhere with her (including on several past cruises, including cruises with RCCL).

Why are they taking the fans? Is there any way around this?:eek:

I'm reading that also. And like you, I took a small fan on another RCCL cruise with no problems...but I am seeing that now it's "iffy" and Voyager is fairly restrictive. (I am on Voyager next month)

I have a medical condition, and a fan at night helps me. I am considering getting a note from my doctor. :o

If it's not on the prohibited list, and they do confiscate it, I think you have justification for asking that it be returned. I see no reason they would take it from you when it consumes far less wattage than a curling iron or hair dryer.

My wife loves to sleep with a fan so we'll take a small one with us. It will be a very cheap one...just in case they take it and don't give it back. :)

we were on the voyager in feb and the confiscated our fan and extension cord- my husband needs a fan to sleep with for medical reasons (stage 4 cancer). i had to go to guest service and they had to have a electrican look at the fan before they gave it back to us- but they did not return the extension cords- our room attendant was able to get us a heavy duty (orange one) extension cord for the duration of the cruise. I really didn't think they were going to allow the fan but i told them why my husband needed it and i think that did the trick.

we were on serenade in november and had no trouble with the fan or our extension cords.

I always sleep with a small fan for air circulation and background noise. I take a fan on every cruise and usually pack it in my luggage with no difficulties. But, one year I accidentally packed it in my carryon and port security confiscated it. They told me that I would need to contact guest services on the ship to get it back. So, I went there once on board and got the same old song and dance. I told them that I cannot sleep without one and not having it would ruin my entire trip. I told them that they have a choice to either allow the fan or consider this Diamond member's final RCCL cruise. About an hour later I got a call from them saying I could pick the fan up at my earliest convenience.

I had my fan taken away last week on the Voyager, but not my extension cord. I was told fans are no longer allowed because they have open motors and could cause a fire if water was spilled on it?? I have taken a fan in all my previous cruises and never had a problem. I need it to block out the noise of all the preteens running up and down the halls till all hours!

If you really need one, you might want to try a battery powered fan. I have several small ones(maybe 5 inches square, use 4 D batteries) that I've used. I keep one in the car (after once being trapped on the highway in 100 degree heat for 3 hours behind an accident) and one with our emergency supplies. They cost me about $10 each at Bed,Bath & Beyond and put out an nice amount of air and the batteries last quite awhile. Without the batteries, they are very lightweight. Don't bother with the ones that use AA batteries - they 're not very effective. Then the next question is whether they'll confiscate batteries!

I am not understanding this....why do they confiscate, when fans are not on the "forbidden" list? We have cruised with Carnival for the past 10 years, and we purchase new box fans, leave them in the boxes (we have two rooms), and they are delivered with our luggage. It is very clear what they are, since they are still in their boxes. We sleep with fans at home, and it would be a HUGE deal not to have them on our cruise. Please no flames, I just don't understand?

Just got off the Majesty of the Seas and I packed in my luggage my small metal desk fan for the room. It was not confisicated and I loved having it in the room. We were in an inside stateroom and it really helped with air movement. No problems getting it on board at all.

My sister has needed a fan to sleep ever since her breast-cancer-related chemo sent her into premature menopause three years ago (the other symptoms abated, the night sweats never did.) On our recent Oasis cruise, she packed the small portable fan she uses every night by her bed and had no problems whatsoever.

If you really need one, you might want to try a battery powered fan. I have several small ones(maybe 5 inches square, use 4 D batteries) that I've used.

I've had good success carrying on O2 Cool's model 1078 10-inch battery powered fan. It's very thin so it packs easily in a suitcase, runs quiet, circulates a decent amount of air and lasts a surprisingly long time on 8 D batteries. We've had to go to the naughty room a couple of times to retrieve it, but they've given it back without issue once they find out it's battery operated.

Archived