Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I have joined this thread very late but this is an issue which concerned us on our last Seabourn cruise. We completed a 14 day Carib cruise on the Odyssey only a few weeks ago. Before leaving home we were aware that SB had relaxed their dress codes since our cruise prior and even bearing this is mind we were very disappointed at the attire of many fellow guests. We saw hawaii shirts in the main dining room in the evening, thongs in the MDR on formal night. Even at breakfast, where no real dress codes applies some of the gear belonged only on the pool deck or in the gym. What was most disappointing was that SB to our knowledge never seemed to enforce their dress codes. We are Australian were casual is the order of the day but what we experienced was appalling and unfortunately it does to a degree spoil the overall ambiance of a venue, particularly on formal night. We noticed such a decline that we will probably return to Silversea, where I understand the dress standards are more rigorously maintained. Also, off topic, Seabourn seemed to ignore the behaviour of children in the pool. Toddlers in diapers in the pool, rowdy behaviour, bombing into the pool etc. etc. Made us question what direction Seabourn is moving in.

I think being in the Caribbean has a lot to do with this - it is more a 'holiday' cruise than a visiting interesting places one, and will appeal to people with children and those who expect to dress very casually on their 'holiday'.

I feel sometimes staff are a bit overwhelmed by the number of people who are not 'properly' dressed, and in a way understandably find it difficult to enforce the expected dress codes. Difficult to turn away from the dining room about half the people turning up for dinner, I guess.

Dear candylover

I do hope those thongs in the main dining room were what we call flip flops and not what we call thongs :'):')

I do think with regards to guest behaviour, Seabourn are so used to their mantra being ' the customer is always right' and with the vast majority of the guests being responsible enough to abide by the guidelines that when guests don't do this, they don't know what to do! Addressing the behaviour may mean offending the guest so they turn a blind eye leaving other guests seething.

The nappies (diapers) in the pool issue - there are special swim nappies that can be worn in the pool although I am not sure how effective they are and if the pool does become contaminated with faeces they should either drain it immediately or it can't be used whilst they treat with appropriate chemicals.

With regards to the divebombing, it is the parents responsibility to control their children but we all know that there are those whose precious princes and princesses can do no wrong ( or they just can't be bothered - they are on holiday after all!)

Hi All, I certainly enjoyed your replies. Yes, the thongs to which I referred are flip flops (we still call them thongs in Aus) - I would however point out that the other thongs to which you referred were what featured frequently in The Colonnade at breakfast (not great for one's digestion that early in the morning).

I understand that some cruise lines are more inclined to enforce their own rules/standards and it would appear that Seabourn is not one of those lines. Fully understand that they do not want to offend any client, however I am 100% certain that more guests were offended by their lack of proactivity (particularly in respect of diapers in the pool) than would have occurred had SB quickly acted to address the situation. I overheard one guest speaking with the client services personnel in S/Square about this issue, and they were virtually told that SB was not prepared to intervene. I also placed a written complaint about this to SB which still has not even been acknowledged.

However overall it was an excellent cruise, but for us a few alarm bells rang in respect of SB's reluctance to get involved when things weren't going so swimmingly so to speak.

I've said this before. My husband and I HATE to dress up. So we don't. We have never been turned away from the dining room. I don't care what others think ! Let them look. I wear what I want. My personal opinion is there sound be no dress code. We are on vacation, let us wear what we want. If you like to dress up go ahead but for those of us who don't, let us be.

I've said this before. My husband and I HATE to dress up. So we don't. We have never been turned away from the dining room. I don't care what others think ! Let them look. I wear what I want. My personal opinion is there sound be no dress code. We are on vacation, let us wear what we want. If you like to dress up go ahead but for those of us who don't, let us be.

I agree, but there should be minimum standards, e.g. no shorts for men and no very short skirts or shirts for women. No problem with footwear, socks optional, and collared shirts or their equivalent. In other words what many of us call Smart Casual. Yet it be resolved that all cruise lines should dispense with Formal and adopt Smart Casual as the standard for every evening, as seems to be the case with Regent and with Seabourn edging that way. Even Cunard is becoming more relaxed. Those who want to dress up in evening dress even though on holiday should gravitate to Silversea.

I have no problem with those who "don't like to dress up".

But if you sign up for a cruise where they clearly indicate a dress code and varyingly formal evenings, yu shouldn't be whining about it later. There's plenty of cruise lines where there are no formal nights. Oceania for one.

:eek:;p:eek: Wow, this response is perhaps a bit extreme, even by my pretty flexible standards regarding dress codes.

My partner & I no longer like to "dress up", which is one of the reasons that we no longer consider Silversea a good cruising option, despite the many things about that line that we enjoyed very much. Indeed, on our SB cruise around Britain in August, we will be among those men who will be wearing jackets without a necktie or other form of cravate on Formal Optional evenings, thereby likely incurring the wrath or disapprobation of those old-guard Seabournites who declare that a "gentleman" always wear a jacket & tie to dinner. Nonetheless, we will be observing the stated SB dress code in our choice of attire.

Despite our preference for an elegant casual dress code, we would never consider not following the dress code of whatever cruise line on which we have chosen to sail. The sort of statement that "I wear what I want." ignores the rather simple concept that one has a contract with the cruise line that includes the reasonable requirement that one complies with the clear policies of that line with regard to many things, including the dress code. If one does not like the dress code of SB or any other line (including Carnival, the declared favorite line of the quoted poster), then the obvious alternative is to find another line that more closely suits one's preferences.

Geez, would the poster suggest that since it is her vacation, she should be able to smoke or vape wherever she wishes? Okay, okay, I know that there are many differences between a failure to observe the smoking rules and the flouting of the dress code; but some aspects of the argument are parallel.

We are firmly "Tommy Bahama forever" adherents but also rigorously observe and respect the cruise line's stated dress codes, on whatever line we cruise. (Hmm, can one wear a Tommy Bahama shirt with a blazer on Formal Optional evenings? :evilsmile: )

• 4 weeks later...

ahhhh.Tommy Bahama. considered formal wear here in AZ.lol.

we did one formal night because I had a great white dinner jacket and my wife had a smokin' full length gown she was amortizing the cost of.<g>

we chose the Collonade/Patio grill most nights because I did not want to put on a suit but I did like to look nice, so if not a sport jacket, a classy dress shirt. and nice jeans.not ripped jeans(which cost $400 but shabby chic usually looks just shabby)

wearing 'what you want' is too broad.wouldn't anyone want to look decent?

Some rules apply.there's a difference between wearing a tuxedo and dark suit for a formal affair versus ride up jeans and tube tops in a restaurant. That's what Carnival is for.

I agree, but there should be minimum standards, e.g. no shorts for men and no very short skirts or shirts for women. No problem with footwear, socks optional, and collared shirts or their equivalent. In other words what many of us call Smart Casual. Yet it be resolved that all cruise lines should dispense with Formal and adopt Smart Casual as the standard for every evening, as seems to be the case with Regent and with Seabourn edging that way. Even Cunard is becoming more relaxed. Those who want to dress up in evening dress even though on holiday should gravitate to Silversea.

Ahh, so the cruiselines should alienate all of their long standing clientelle in order to accommodate those who have decided they don't want to adopt the dress code. Alternatively, we should all go to Silversea. Jog on!

But Tilly have you travelled recently with Seabourn. We are just back from a 14 day cruise. 12 days were smart casual and 2 formal only in the main dining room and even then men did not need to wear ties. Yet the ship was full of long standing seabourners and we heard no adverse reaction to the relaxation in dress code. So maybe many will not gravitate to Silversea..

But Tilly have you travelled recently with Seabourn. We are just back from a 14 day cruise. 12 days were smart casual and 2 formal only in the main dining room and even then men did not need to wear ties. Yet the ship was full of long standing seabourners and we heard no adverse reaction to the relaxation in dress code. So maybe many will not gravitate to Silversea..

Maybe many won't gravitate to Silversea. But I do know a few long standing Seabourn cruisers who are booked on Silversea and looking to try them out. For me if I want to go smart casual most or all of the time I would try out Windstar's ex-Seabourn ships. They have a lot more active itinerary with more likely chance to use the marina.

Julie

Yes, i travel very regularly with Seabourn and am aware of the elegant casual to formal ratio. Its funny you say nobody had an adverse reaction to the dress code. The dress code has been like this for some time, and apart from polling each individual how could you ever know whether the greatest percentage of passengers were happy or not?

To add as well, I always find when a cruise has more regular SB passengers on it, the stricter adhesion to the dress code.

Yes, i travel very regularly with Seabourn and am aware of the elegant casual to formal ratio. Its funny you say nobody had an adverse reaction to the dress code. The dress code has been like this for some time, and apart from polling each individual how could you ever know whether the greatest percentage of passengers were happy or not?

To add as well, I always find when a cruise has more regular SB passengers on it, the stricter adhesion to the dress code.

But the dress code now is being adhered to if men wear jackets without ties on formal optional nights and no jackets on other nights. That is the current dress code. It is NO LONGER tuxedo or dark suit. I think much of the confusion regarding dress codes is that some people are still thinking about he dress code ten years ago when they post. Those days are long gone.

But the dress code now is being adhered to if men wear jackets without ties on formal optional nights and no jackets on other nights. That is the current dress code. It is NO LONGER tuxedo or dark suit. I think much of the confusion regarding dress codes is that some people are still thinking about he dress code ten years ago when they post. Those days are long gone.

Like I have said previously, the dress code you speak of is not particularly new is it? The conversation is surely about adhesion to the current dress code? There are regularly people who can't even manage a jacket. And those upthread who have a "i'll wear what I please, when i wish attitude, and if you dont like it go to SS". Well how about them going elsewhere instead of trying to erode standards even further.

I don't understand what the issues are now. Seabourn has published dress code on its website, and it adheres to it and so based on our experience do the passengers. It is smart casual with occasional formal evenings in the main restaurant.. some passengers do like to wear evening dress or suits on formal evenings and no-one objects to this. This code makes for a relaxed ambience. Of the four 5 or 6 star lines only Silversea remain sticklers to the now old fashioned formal, semi- formal and informal.

Just to add to my previous comment. Crystal are mainly what they call Crystal Casual with the occasional black-tie optional. Regent are exclusively smart casual but on longer cruises they tend to have one or two optional formal nights.

We are "regular" SB passengers, and we wear jeans many evenings, and head for the patio, Colonnade & Patio Grill. I used to love dressing up, but prefer the simpler lifestyle now.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using Tapabark.