Dress Code

gkgk123ca

On our last Seaborne cruise to Alaska, I noticed that evenings in the Collinade were a bit more dressy. Saw nice slacks with dressy tops on most women and Sunday type dresses. However, on this Antarctica cruise folks who wish to eat alfresco will be wrapped up so the entire vibe may be more casual. 

What are “Sunday-type dresses”?

[emoji572]️[emoji928][emoji926][emoji1635][emoji483][emoji961][emoji2147]

• 2 weeks later...

That certainly is the antithesis of vacation attire. To each their own, I suppose. But in the spirit of religion, thou shalt not judge others’ dress (or jeans).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are just off of the Antarctica cruise and noticed how very casual the evening dining room attire has become.  (Possibly due to the itinerary?) Several times noticed jeans and sneakers.  We have been sailing Seabourn for six years, eighteen cruises, and have become aware of the casual trend.  Not the case for us as we enjoy dressing up for dinner, however to each their own.

• 4 weeks later...

In my recent experiences on Seabourn, only about 20-30% of men wear tuxes to dinner on ""formal" nights.  Cocktail dresses appear to be the norm for the ladies, and men are more likely to be in sports jackets w/ ties.  It seems to me (this is not a scientific study) that on formal nights, (which are usually preceded by a "meet the Captain" cocktail party), most of the attendees who go to meet the Captain DO wear tuxes, but when you get to The Restaurant, you find that most of the men there aren't wearing tuxes. It seems to me that if a man IS wearing a tux, he feels more comfortable going to "meet the Captain" event, since the ships officers are all in full-dress attire. So, I believe you'll find a large percentage of those who go to the Captain's cocktail party before dinner DO wear tuxes, and the guys who don't wear tuxes appear to generally skip the Captain's event preceding dinner. On a Roll Call for a cruise I'm leaving on in a few days (Barbados/Lisbon on Odyssey), of our group, one of the men is bringing a tux and 8 are not.

2 hours ago, MillieMeter said:

We are on the Sojourn in August/September.  Is the dress code more relaxed than on the other Seabourn cruises?  I am planning to wear cocktail dresses on the formal nights and my husband a tux.  Would we be over dressed?

Curious why you wonder if the dress code is more relaxed? Is it the date (Aug/Sept) or the ship (Sojourn)? Or is it the itinerary (which you do not name)?

My N=1 on Sojourn, Sept 2018, and we saw VERY few tuxedos. Maybe 3? One formal kilt (which I adore). One full sequin gown.

We did not dress "formal" (it is "formal optional") - husband wore a sports coat and I wore a dress, but it was not a cocktail dress....

The cruise goes from Seward to Anchorage—14 days—glaciers and fjords.  The last Seabourn Cruise was a few years back—32 days from Bali ending in New Zealand.  It was over the Christmas holidays and New Years so everything was fairly formal.  We are doing the pre-cruise in Denali National Park so I was wondering if the attire might not be as formal to avoid taking some that would not be necessary.

We did thatcruise 2 years ago.  Fabulous! About 20% or less of the men had tuxes. Almost all in The Restaurant for “formal optional” dinner  had sport jacket & tie.  A few women in long gowns...looked very out of place. I had a tux and felt awkward, as no one else at my table wore one. 

We have taken two SB cruises in the last not quite two years---one in the the Mediterranean and the other in the Baltic.  I would agree that about 20% of the men wore tuxes. SOME women wore formal gowns, but not that many.  Curiously, the most women with formal gowns were on the last 7 days (St. Petersburg leg) of the back to back Baltic Cruise we took.  My husband wore a suit on formal night on our Mediterranean cruise, but only a sport coat (with tie) on our Baltic Cruise last summer.  I did not take a gown or cocktail dress on either cruise---mainly because I did not want to pack it.  Both times, I wore a black dress with jewelry or a dressy scarf.  Neither of us felt underdressed or out of place.  I think you will be comfortable in your cocktail dresses and your husband in his tux.  I admire you for being willing to pack them!

Edited by SLSD

MillieMeter

My wife and I have been on two SB cruises. The first was in the Mediterranean in September, 2016. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. That being said I wore a tux on our anniversary and then a white dinner jacket for the formal night.  My wife wore a long gown on the formal night.  I wore a jacket and tie, my wife a dress or skirt and blouse each night for dinner. Our second cruise was in the Caribbean for New Year's. For NYE, I had a tux and my wife a long gown.  Again it was jacket and tie for me and dresses/skirts & blouses for the wife for the balance of the dinners.  There were other ladies in gowns and cocktail dress and men in tuxes/dinner jackets on formal night. One gent was wearing kilt on NYE. All that being said, I would vote for the tux regardless of what others wear.  Enjoy the cruise.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, MillieMeter said:

The cruise goes from Seward to Anchorage—14 days—glaciers and fjords.  The last Seabourn Cruise was a few years back—32 days from Bali ending in New Zealand.  It was over the Christmas holidays and New Years so everything was fairly formal.  We are doing the pre-cruise in Denali National Park so I was wondering if the attire might not be as formal to avoid taking some that would not be necessary.

Millie,

Where what you enjoy.  We are doing similar cruise this June (Anchorage to Vancouver) and while my husband sometimes takes a tux, this one he decided he likely will not. In the past we sometimes “dress up” because we want to - not because of what others are or are not wearing. Sometime I’ll be in a LBD and he’ll be in jeans.  Just enjoy.   

On 4/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, Hobar said:

Millie,

Where what you enjoy.  We are doing similar cruise this June (Anchorage to Vancouver) and while my husband sometimes takes a tux, this one he decided he likely will not. In the past we sometimes “dress up” because we want to - not because of what others are or are not wearing. Sometime I’ll be in a LBD and he’ll be in jeans.  Just enjoy.   

Oops, apologies for the typo. Yikes. 

Just got off of the Ovation on 4/7 after 36 days ,and still violations. When I'm home I'm a shorts and tee shirt guy.  However, formal night,and you can't put on a jacket ? We saw one guy go into TK on formal night wearing a tee shirt !  I just filled out my post cruise survey,and asked once again , enforce the dress code !!! 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, fdnycruiser said:

We saw one guy go into TK on formal night wearing a tee shirt !  I just filled out my post cruise survey,and asked once again , enforce the dress code !!! 

Just clarifying if I may, could it have been a polo type shirt? At least with a collar I hope.

I agree about TK. 

4 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Nope not a polo,but a solid color tee with no collar !   Couldnt miss it .

We always avoid the formal nights for two reasons. First because we don’t want to dress up in a manner that, since retirement, has become out of character. [It may actually have always been that way but we lived a life where business and social circle imposed their will]. Second because we respect the dress code and wouldn’t like to spoil someone else’s enjoyment of what is, for them, a fun evening.  Wearing a tee shirt as you describe conjures up impressions of someone who has a problem ranging between arrogance and insecurity, with a whole range of possibilities in between.

So, how should one respond? Maybe pity? Never anger! Probably it’s best to simply ignore and get on with enjoying the evening. It’s not like they being loud and obnoxious at the next table simply by ignoring the dress code. That capability to annoy seems independent of attire.

Wearing a tee shirt as you describe conjures up impressions of someone who has a problem ranging between arrogance and insecurity, with a whole range of possibilities in between.

So, how should one respond? Maybe pity? Never anger

Dusko. What a mature response. And I am not being sarcastic. I'm close to my nineth decade and have still to work out the right way to regard folk like that. One part of me says be quiet. And the other part of me says what can I do to help people like that.

But the quiet man in me wins. And the other guy will go on wearing tee shirts in smart restaurants until he reaches his nineth decade. But I do think I've had more fun than he will ever have.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:47 PM, brontosphere said:

TK has always been exempt from Formal nights. But yes it will be interesting if the next Seabourn move is more formal or more casual in general. 

It will doubtless be more casual. That is the trend, that is the evolution of the species, not only for Seabourn but for all luxury lines,

More casual is definitely the trend--and I don't think the future of the dress code is going to be affected as much by the current demographic as by those who are turning 40 about now.  Personally, I really like the idea of elegant casual--which means different things to different people.  I enjoy seeing men in their jackets for example and consider a man in a sport coat to be "elegant casual".  As for women, elegant casual can be all over the map.  

I have always found the med cruise pax to be pretty good on adhering to dress code, though suits tend to be more popular than tuxes, with the Caribbean cruises slightly more casual. As to those who are turning 40 about now affecting dress code standards, nope, I have always adhered and found my peers to be pretty good too, however some older pax not so, so you really can't tell, and it certainly isn't an age related thing,more attitude methinks.