Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Yes, despite the fact that we thought there were no assigned tables, the first time we were on the Spirit, the waiter seated us at table 34 right by a service station...all the meals the first two days and breakfast and lunch the third day.

We got to hate the bumping of our chairs and the noise. Talked to the M'D when we left after lunch...no problem, he would fix it.

Well, at dinner that night, the waiter directed us to that same "hated" table...I just said no, we want to sit some where else. He looked at us and then at the table and said he understood. He put us at one of the back tables...we loved those tables. From then on, if we wanted a table for 2, we were seated back there.

Our experience on Seabourn is once the waiters know your likes, they didn't seem to forget...unlike our experiences on the SS Mariner this year. Do hope this approach has not changed with the three new ships now on line!

I'm on the Legend now and there is no black tie "required" night. Only a formal optional night. So the information I was given by the home office was indeed incorrect. Oh well, I'll be one of the better dressed tomorrow evening.:D

Thank you for confirming this and posting it.

>"Read this tongue in cheek, my husband reckons he's paid for the trip so he does not want to eat with the "help" but then he's from Yorkshire!"

LOL! He's not alone. One man vociferously protested about the concept of hosted tables for the same reason; he wouldn't eat with the help! Unlike your husband, this man and his wife were very serious and made their dislike well known.

Pleased to hear that a sober sports coat, unobtrusive trousers (you know what I mean, grey flannels or similar) with business type shirt and a tie is likely to be OK in any restaurant on a formal optional night.

Regarding hosted tables (not really this topic) you can refuse any invitation without worrying or, as we now tend to do, tell reception soon after boarding 'no dinner invitations please'. We too do not like the long time it takes for everyone to be served at a very large table, and have problems hearing all that is said. We don't at all mind not sitting next to each other, but again I am sure you can request to sit by your partner if that is your wish.

About 25% wore tuxedos, another 40% wore dark (black/dark navy) suits and the rest wore elegant casual (jacket required). Just rough percentages as I was unable to secure the table by the entrance.;)

On this cruise we have four resort casual nights, two elegant casual nights and one formal optional night.

Will be happy to provide a full report (even a list of included wines) on a new thread once the cruise has finished.

Cheers,

johnny

Johnny

Happy to hear your dress code report ~~thanks!

I just received an e-mail from Karl ~~he's arranging a fun table for Club night ~you and Mr. S will receive his invitation ~~knowing Karlo Magno, you don't want to miss that 'one!:D

Have lots of fun! Please tell David E., "hOWDY"

Miss Pinkie

About 25% wore tuxedos, another 40% wore dark (black/dark navy) suits and the rest wore elegant casual (jacket required). Just rough percentages as I was unable to secure the table by the entrance.;)

On this cruise we have four resort casual nights, two elegant casual nights and one formal optional night.

Will be happy to provide a full report (even a list of included wines) on a new thread once the cruise has finished.

Cheers,

johnny

Thanks johnnycruise! Have a wonderful time and we look forward to reading further about your cruise. My husband's tux is going with us!!

Cheers,

johnny

Johnny,

can you tell me who the Hotel Manager is at present on the Legend

Karl Eckl is the hotel manager, Andrew Pedder is the captain and David E. Greene is the cruise director.

A very nice group this week (staff and guests)! Seems to be a bit younger crowd than usual. The staff captain extended Marina Day by an hour to accommodate everyone on the toys. Sky bar has been open every night until 7pm.:D Prosecco is on the comp. list but it has not been poured at "mass" events - I haven't even seen a bottle of it. So far French champagne all the way.

Dress code update ... casual elegant in the Restaurant this evening and all gents were wearing jackets as requested. The osso bucco paired with a malbec wine from Argentina was delicious.

Karl has been a favorite of many Seabournites for a long time ~he started as a dining room waiter on the Pride many years ago ~last year he married Licelle, Spa Manager. They just announced "a baby on the way."I'm thrilled to hear the good news.

Johnny

I've been very pleased to read of dress codes being enforced ~especially in the dining rooms :D can you please tell us who your Maitre'D is?

Have a continued grand voyage!

Martita B.

Bogdan is the maitre d'. I cannot remember the correct spelling of his surname so I'll keep it informal - I believe he is from Romania. He isn't "heavy handed" about the dress code - I think the Daily Herald has very clear verbiage so everyone knows the expectation in advance. The Sky Grill has been open every night except one and the Veranda has been open every night, so there are two less formal alternatives. And, it really isn't a hardship to wear a smart blazer. Ties are completely optional (maybe 20-25% of gents choose to wear one).

Not sure if Karl's wife is on board. One crewmember who is, unfortunately, leaving with us in Rome on Friday is Casey Kilroy - the asst. CD. A lovely young lady from Pennsylvania, she's promised us she'll be back on board in a couple of months.

I have requested the spectacular Steak Diane for the last evening so Strawberries Madagascar will have to meet until our next sailing.

MBH - thank you for the e-mail.

Johnny

Ohhh Bogdan Stefanescu is grrrreat~ He was Maitre'D last March/April aboard the Legend. Please say a "howdy" for me!:D

As I fly to Seattle next Monday, hopefully I'll see and visit with Chris P ~~will inquire and ask a few questions as to the seemingly enforcement of the dress code.

Happy sailing on the beautiful Legend castle!

Martita B.

As to the flaming tableside deserts I've had Bananas Foster, Crepes Suzette, Strawberries Madagascar ~~all delicious and fabulous!

If seas are rough however the Assn. Maitre'D will prepare these in the Galley rather than tableside.

Another tableside flaming entree that I enjoy is Steak Diane ~best to request any special dish a couple of days in advance ~just visit with the dining room Maitre'D.

Martita B.

Having a dinner prepared tableside is always a delight on Seabourn -- from steak tartare, desserts , and steak au poivre or diane( alas they are no longer able to do a real caesar salad with a raw egg due to helath regulations). My suggestion is that shortly after you board have a discussion with the maitre' d or the asst. maitre' d and ask them what night would be most convenient for them to do it. ( They prefer not to do it on formal nights since there is so much else going on.) And because doing this is very labor intensive for them I think that it is only fair to order a special bottle of wine for that evening sort of as a way for them to know how much you appreciate it. For us it is a lovely complement to a great dinner.