Dress Up or Not Night

mpdjnr

Hi there everyone, I'd like to ask anyone who's been on any Norwegian cruise recently: Do people actually dress up on Dress Up or Not Night? My family and I would like to dress up, but we were wondering if we'd be the only ones. Thank you in advance.

Yes, many people DO dress up. However, it's definitely a minority. The percentage varies with each sailing (some holiday sailings are probably much higher than regular ones). I think a fair estimate on any average sailing would be 15-25%. If you wish to dress up, by all means do so. Choice - that's the essence of Freestyle.

we did dress up when we went on jade last year and did not feel out of place at all tho we where in a minority.

it felt right and we had a great night and even ended up with several people stopping to chat to us and compliment us on our dress.

i would say if you want to do it go for it, i know we will on our future cruises.

Since the inception of Freestyle, I have not dressed up on the "formal" nights. I do always dress up, IE Tux, when I cruise over the holidays, such as Christmas and especially New Years. I must however admit, I don't do NCL on those more formal holidays, I'd rather have fun in the sun on NCL ships. So while aboard NCL, I dress, whatever!:D

On our 6 NCL cruises I would guess that about 25-30% dressed up on formal night. Those who dress up dine right along with those who are casual and no one bats an eye.

On the afternoon or evening of the captains cocktail party, which is only offered to certain guests, I would guess that at least 80% of those attendees dress up.

We were just on the Sun last week, and I think about 60% of the people dressed for the one "official" dress up or not night. I also saw more people dressing for dinner on non-formal nights, assume they were eating in specialty restaurants, although that attire is not required.

We sailed the Gem twice in the Mediterranean, and very few dressed up. Of course, that could be largely because of the long port days and the difficulty of dragging extra clothes across the Atlantic. We didn't bother, but probably would on a less port-intensive cruise.

around 35-40% were dress appropriately. That would be suite and tie for the men and dresses for the ladies.

They are dressed just as apporpriately if they choose "or not";).

OP, on the Sky last April it was about 40%-50% dressed up.

After multiple Spirit cruises my guess is far less than 10% "dress up". And even fewer dress for specialty dining. By far the highest number of folks in formal attire is for "picture night" and most of those were back in casual clothes for dinner. Maybe the Spirit is different. The few that were dressed up sure stood out.:cool:

We just did a 13 night Panama Canal cruise on the Star and the percentage that dressed up seemed way lower than what people are posting here...maybe because of the length of the cruise, I suppose.

I love to see everybody dressed up almost as much as I like to dress resort casual to dinner...when on other lines, I enjoy the formal nites, but one of the reasons I love NCL is having the option.

I've seen some people dressed up every night. It's entirely up to you.

I've seen folks who dressed up every night too. Sparkly dresses and elaborate hair for the ladies. . . .tuxes for the men. I thought they looked wonderful.

I've also seen tables where all the ladies were dressed formally and all the guys were dressed in Aloha shirts and khaki slacks. And they all had these great big smiles on their faces!

On our recent Epic cruise, I would say about 40% dressed up on DUON night. We dress up more on that night (suit and tie for DH and cocktail dress for me) but we dress for dinner every night we're on the ship, like we would going to a nice restaurant in our hometown. On regular nights DD and I wear dresses and DH and DS wear dress slacks and a dress shirt, sometimes with a sports jacket. Many people don't dress up at all. You see everything from totally casual clothes to dress uniforms and tuxedos. I don't care what anyone else wears. We are happy with the way we dress.

I've seen folks who dressed up every night too. Sparkly dresses and elaborate hair for the ladies. . . .tuxes for the men. I thought they looked wonderful.

I've also seen tables where all the ladies were dressed formally and all the guys were dressed in Aloha shirts and khaki slacks. And they all had these great big smiles on their faces!

Very funny! That's exactly what you'd see at our table. Just us girls want to dress up one night, the men in our party want nothing to do with it.

we cruised 2 weeks on the Sun in Dec and i would say about 30% dressed up and then last month on the Star probably a bit less than on the Sun--we usually cruise from Dec--Feb and i see MORE dressed up during the holidays, but its YOUR CHOICE that is why we LOVE NCL and FREE~STYLE!!!!!

i always have a dress planned or dressy pants every night of the cruise but it is MY CHOICE if i want and still if i dont dress up will "fit" in fine dressed casual pretty much anywhere i choose to dine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought: If you get tired of the same old dress-up, consider adding your own flair to it. We cruised the Sun in Nov 2007 and saw a couple in which the man was dressed up "swing", hat an all, while the woman wore a 1920's flapper dress with headache band. Another couple was dressed in renaissance-era clothes. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they packed THEIR suitcases!

Lots and lots of military dress uniforms that night. I sort of wish dh could still wear his Army dress blues. He looked so handsome, but you know what happens as we get older.

God and our budget willing, we'll cruise the Sun again this year. DH will most likely wear a civilian tux while I wear a tea-length. That passes for formal anymore.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but how many dress up or not nights will there be on a 7 night cruise? If I wear a dressy dress on a regular night will I look really out of place? I have 2 fancy dresses that I want to wear. For years I had issues with my knee and couldn't wear the proper shoes, so I never could dress up. But I finally can wear any shoes I want, and so after years of waiting I'm so excited to dress up on my cruise!

I know this is an old thread, but how many dress up or not nights will there be on a 7 night cruise? If I wear a dressy dress on a regular night will I look really out of place? I have 2 fancy dresses that I want to wear. For years I had issues with my knee and couldn't wear the proper shoes, so I never could dress up. But I finally can wear any shoes I want, and so after years of waiting I'm so excited to dress up on my cruise!

Honey, wear whatever you want on whichever night you choose. You don't have to wait until Dress up or Not night to look fabulous. :)

There is usually one night on a 7 day cruise as the DUON night...On our upcoming cruise, I plan on taking along my tux and persuading her to pack a formal dress or two as we want to dress the part for the Chef's Table, as well as try and get at the Captain's table one night. ;)

As for you, dress however you'd like, whenever you like! That's the beauty of Freestyle!

Dress Up, Or Not......just like Formal Nights on those lines that still have them, IMHO is mostly for the benefit of the ship's photographer's....it gives them a much greater opportunity to get folks to pose for formal portraits.;)

Oh, and maybe the hair salon and the boutiques, as well.:)

Archived