January Cruising

jasperdog

I have read some pretty horrific stories on this forum about spring breakers disrupting cruises. Knowing that spring break for colleges can last from mid-February through Mid-April, I am curious about people's experiences on a January cruise----a time when most colleges are in recess between semesters. Are there problems during January or are the students at home working at some seasonal job? I have read many "cruise reviews " on this board and there are no complaints about bad behavior. Anyone?

I have read some pretty horrific stories on this forum about spring breakers disrupting cruises. Knowing that spring break for colleges can last from mid-February through Mid-April, I am curious about people's experiences on a January cruise----a time when most colleges are in recess between semesters. Are there problems during January or are the students at home working at some seasonal job? I have read many "cruise reviews " on this board and there are no complaints about bad behavior. Anyone?

We went on the Carnival Splendor over January 1 and did not notice any unusually bad behavior. However, the man seated behind me on the plane flying home had one heck of a bad case of flu and coughed the entire way back. Needless to say I came down with the illness a day later. I wish I had brought a medical mask. There were no empty seats on that flight, so being moved was not an option. Shame on the airline for allowing someone so obviously sick and contagious to fly.

People of all ages can be badly behaved.

When we cruised in early January 2010 there were more college students on board then any cruise I have ever taken including this last one a few weeks ago right in the heart of Spring Break. The flight home from the cruise which stopped in FLL was very rowdy; we felt bad for the flight attendants.

The college crowd doesn't want anything as structured & formal as a cruise.

People of all ages can be badly behaved.

The college crowd doesn't want anything as structured & formal as a cruise.

I agree that anybody can act badly and I found no fault with college students on the cruise I took 2 weeks ago on the NCL Jewel. However, from what I read about the NCL Dawn cruise, if I were a passenger I would be demanding a refund.

We did a 10 day in January of '08. On the longer cruises you don't encounter too many children or college age passengers.

Although we did make the mistake of sailing during "spring break" one year and vowed NEVER again.

Carol

You will see very few students on a cruise that begins in mid January.

Keith

It's a really nice time of year to cruise the Caribbean, especially if you're escaping winter. We've done them many times, and have had absolutely no issues with other passengers. Yes, there's the occasional over-imbibed ***** ... but the future leaders of America are largely non-existent on these cruises (obviously getting ready for another semester of intense intellectual activity). You'll also find the prices more attractive than those times when kids of all ages are out of school. I wouldn't hesitate to book. Have a terrific cruise!

We cruised the western and southern Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox for 11 days in January and it was wonderful. Only a handful of college age folks and a few families with small children were on board (although we have never been bothered by either on previous cruises). We did an additional three days in Fort Lauderdale.

The weather was beautiful and the only things we missed were three snow storms and some sub zero weather back home in New Hampsha. Yeah, we missed those a lot!:rolleyes:

We cruised twice in January. On Serenade of the Seas, I saw minimal kids. However, I wasn't sailing with mine either, so I didn't have the need to even pay attention to the kids activities or number of kids. But I didn't notice kids (or college students) at all.

On Epic this year, I thought there were a lot more kids than I expected. Maybe because it's definitely a family oriented ship. While the ship was not "overrun" with kids and I didn't notice any disruption or misbehaved kids, there were more than I expected. I had my 2 kids (12 & 5) and there were a lot of kids in the kids club (more for the 5 year old than the 12 year old). Didn't notice any groups of college kids at all.

Weather was amazing on both cruises.

Archived