Wine on board

bronxadw

What is the current policy regarding bringing wine or beer on board, I know some lines permit it and others do not. I sailed on Azamara a couple of years ago and one bottle of wine per person was allowed, does that apply to Celebrity?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see you have only posted a few times -- you may not have seen the "search" feature of this website -- it can be used to answer many of your questions -- also you can search the Celebrity website to find their current policies -- happy cruising -- two bottles of wine (not hard liquor) can be brought aboard at embarkation.

Yummy :) just love Champagne and have a couple of bottles saved just for our June cruise to enjoy on our balcony :) I presume they will provide Ice in the room or do you help yourself from a machine ?

you can take champagne too instead of wine

There is a small ice bucket in your room, replenished daily (usually twice a day) but for chilling champagne they will provide a larger container. Ask your steward a day in advance to be sure to get it on time to chill the champagne properly. There are also champagne flutes you can request. There is no self-service ice machine.

Yummy :) just love Champagne and have a couple of bottles saved just for our June cruise to enjoy on our balcony :) I presume they will provide Ice in the room or do you help yourself from a machine ?

Just let your room steward know you'd like to ice down your sparkling wine and he'll get a nice set up for you. Prepare to be pampered! And if it's champagne so much the better. Enjoy!

Yes however Champagne is made in Champagne in France and wine can be made anywhere :)

This is minor but I'm going to say it anyway. The above statement is partially true. Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Many years ago countries met and agreed to respect Champagne and it's name. So other countries have their sparkling wine, like Asti in Italy.

However, the United States did not agree to this condition. Why? Because the U.S. was in the middle of prohibition so they didn't bother inviting the U.S.

So many of our wineries call their sparkling wine, Champagne, and it's legal to do so.:cool:

Recently the U.S. agreed to abide by the agreement; however, if you made sparkling wine prior to THIS RECENT agreement then you are grandfathered in, and allowed to call your sparkling wine, "Champagne".:rolleyes:

Clear as mud right? Anyway I've been teaching wine classes for 20 year and this comes up all the time.:)

This is minor but I'm going to say it anyway. The above statement is partially true. Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Many years ago countries met and agreed to respect Champagne and it's name. So other countries have their sparkling wine, like Asti in Italy.

However, the United States did not agree to this condition. Why? Because the U.S. was in the middle of prohibition so they didn't bother inviting the U.S.

So many of our wineries call their sparkling wine, Champagne, and it's legal to do so.:cool:

Recently the U.S. agreed to abide by the agreement; however, if you made sparkling wine prior to THIS RECENT agreement then you are grandfathered in, and allowed to call your sparkling wine, "Champagne".:rolleyes:

Clear as mud right? Anyway I've been teaching wine classes for 20 year and this comes up all the time.:)

Very interesting history lesson.

Thank you.

What is the current policy regarding bringing wine or beer on board, I know some lines permit it and others do not. I sailed on Azamara a couple of years ago and one bottle of wine per person was allowed, does that apply to Celebrity?

Cruised this past week on Eclipse. We had special bubble wrap for the two allowed wine bottles which were in our large suitcase. On arrival to our cabin, we were told by our room steward, that that suitcase would not be delivered to us until 5 pm after the drill when we and the steward had to go to deck 2, let them check the suitcase and find out what the containers held. Once they saw it was wine, they released the luggage. Told this is a brand new policy and many bags were down there for the same reason. I believe it is because they are looking for the hard liquor.

Archived