Pirate Schooner to turtle cove excursion?

cc waddles

We were on the "Doubloon" a few years ago, fairly certain this is the same excursion. Wasn't really looking forward to it, we were supposed to do something else that was cancelled at the last minute. Turned out to be great! Crew was great, very entertaining. Good for kids. It was a little windy/rough/wet going out, a slicker would have have been nice. Also should have packed clothes/towels in waterproof bag.

Painkillers are not to be missed!

Enjoy!

We had the same experience. Saw lots turtles while snorkeling. Plus at the time, they allowed you "free refills" of the Painkillers in their office at Havensight. :)

We were on the "Doubloon" a few years ago, fairly certain this is the same excursion. Wasn't really looking forward to it, we were supposed to do something else that was cancelled at the last minute. Turned out to be great! Crew was great, very entertaining. Good for kids. It was a little windy/rough/wet going out, a slicker would have have been nice. Also should have packed clothes/towels in waterproof bag.

Painkillers are not to be missed!

Enjoy!

Hi,

Has anyone done this excursion in st thomas. we have 2 kids ages 7 and 9. thought it might be a good one. any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Look under the "Caribbean Sail to Christmas Island/Honeymoon Cove" thread, I think you will find that helpful! The excursion was a blast for myself, my mom and my daughters ages 10 & 12!

We just did this last week while on Freedom of the Seas. If it's the same one we did, it was on the schooner Bones. We had a FANTASTIC time! I have done various snorkel excursion through the years and I have to say it was by far the best!

They really get the kids involved. They let the kids steer the ship and help raise the sails. My son loved that! I also liked that there was only about 40 people on the ship. On so many other excursions they cram as many people as possible.

The skipper, Jason, is super funny. He will head out and snorkel with you. Point out really cool stuff.

They provided a lunch during our excursion. I wasnt expecting much but surprised a how good it was--grilled ckn breast, ribs, salad, macaroni salad, rice, garlic bread.

If you're interested book ahead time. It seems to sell out often. A friend of mine tried that was on our ship tried to book it about 2wks before the cruise and it was already sold out.

• 2 months later...

How old is your son? I have young children, ages 4 and 6. The description on the Royal Caribbean site does not say you have to know how to swim, but from some of these message boards, Im thinking twice about taking young ones on this excursion.

First of all, the most important thing was we saw lots of turtles while snorkeling! Great plus there! On the downside, we did not get to go on a "pirate ship" like some people did. We were on a catamaran called the Jolly Mon. It did not live up to the hype of the excursion. There were no snacks, beer or "web pictures" taken. There was however rum punch and water. If you are going on the excursion, try to get in a group that is NOT going with Jolly Mon!

• 8 months later...

We sailed on Bones on our last cruise and LOVED the day.. worth every penny. The guys were great, loved my pirate tattoos! :eek:

we saw tons of turtles. we followed one of the guys from the boat while snorkeling and he'd dive down and bring up some sort of sea life and talk about it, then go put it back. he was awesome.

Lunch was good. punch was delicious. it was great having enough time to relax on the beach. my husband played volleyball. not crowded on the beach.

I don't know if this was a normal day, but it was pretty rough sailing on the way out. Just a few minutes into the trip and some people were sick. :( I had read about that being a possibility so we took Bonine before we left. shortly after we headed out, we took some more, just to be safe. we were never sick, but boy, a few people were green. like I said, I don't know if that was a typical sea day or not. Coming back in was fine. This time, we think we'll try a catamaran, since we've done those before and they were great too.

Great day!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived