Canadian Medical Insurance discussion

Medically, I get an annual plan through CAA and have for years - fortunately never have had to make a claim, so I can't comment on actually making use of it for a problem. I am 50 years old and will be taking a Crystal Cruise in 2013. I'm not concerned about medical coverage (I'll stick with my CAA plan), but I'm wondering about trip cancellation/interruption coverage. I'm sure Crystal has their own plan, but I'm wondering about using a third party insurer instead. Any comments about whether there are any problems using third party vs. cruise company-specific non-medical insurance?

Medically, I get an annual plan through CAA and have for years - fortunately never have had to make a claim, so I can't comment on actually making use of it for a problem. I am 50 years old and will be taking a Crystal Cruise in 2013. I'm not concerned about medical coverage (I'll stick with my CAA plan), but I'm wondering about trip cancellation/interruption coverage. I'm sure Crystal has their own plan, but I'm wondering about using a third party insurer instead. Any comments about whether there are any problems using third party vs. cruise company-specific non-medical insurance?

I am licensed to sell RBC travel insurance in Canada. Generally, we don't recommend cruise line insurance. In rare instances it works for the client, but on the whole, third party insurance is better. It covers more risks. You need to read the fine print of the cruise line vs third party policies. I have made claims with RBC without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been reading all your posts, So getting the Cruise Insurance Offered is not good to get? :confused: or do you get the Cruise Insurance and also added coverage?

Thanks

So I've been reading all your posts, So getting the Cruise Insurance Offered is not good to get? :confused: or do you get the Cruise Insurance and also added coverage?

Thanks

Rarely both (if ever). It's an either (cruiseline Insurance) or (3rd party insurance).

Whichever provides the coverages you need at a cost you're comfortable with.

The cruise line insurance doesn't offer much to a Canadian except the cancellation coverage. Most third party policies we would have for our medical coverage have better interruption and cancellation coverage. The cruise line medical coverage is not even close to what a Canadian should be buying.

So if I decline the Cruise insurance do I have to have other insurance before final payment? or just before we go? I have a pre-existing medical problem though we have had no problems when we are away so far TG!!

For medical coverage..... before you leave. For Trip interruption and cancellation .........when you have paid a non-refundable expense. Usually you would buy either a medical only policy or a comprehensive policy including medical. In the case of a comprehensive policy you would purchase at final payment or maybe when you book non-refundable airline tickets. If you are able to buy a policy within 21 days of making your deposit on the cruise, insuremytrip.ca ( note .ca not .com) has two companies that offer a pre-existing condition waiver and a cancel for any reason add on for Canadians. These policies are through American companies but are underwritten by Co-Operators of Canada.

Edited by LiftLockCouple

Ok, well dh says we have lots of medical coverage so we would just need cancellation insurance for Cruise & flights..so who do we get that coverage through? or better question where is best??

TIA

Sorry couldn't find a place to edit my post, another question, Do we have to buy trip cancellation insurance for the Cruise & then also some for the air so 2 separate coverages ? or can we get it all together and from what provider would you suggest?

Thank you for all the help

There are a number of options. You can check with your bank or credit union, CAA has it and I'm sure others such as CARP, TIC, TravelGuard.ca will have the option as well. As far as banks, I know RBC has this insurance option. Depending how you paid, your credit card may provide the coverage as well.

I started this thread a year ago and it seems to be well read. This year I have compliled a list of Medical Travel Insurance providers for Canadians. I hope it is of some use in finding appropriate insurance for your needs. Unfortunately the format is lost when copied into CC. I have listed the Company name, the related Underwriter, and if a Pre-Ex Condition waiver is offered as well as a link to assist in finding the information important to the user. Most if not all of these companies offer non-medical coverage as well for Trip interruption / cancellation.

I am not an expert in this field, just an interested consumer.

Compiled March 12, 2012 see reference Notes at the bottom of this post. There will be a second post giving some details about the underwriters. They set the rules.

CAA ManuLife Financial No https://hermes.manulife.com/can/affinity/travel/travelform.nsf/travelplans?Open&as=caasco&step=2&plan=single_trip&mkt=triptravel_srch_tmi

CARP ( Mclennan group ), Manulife Financial ,No,

http://www.themclennangroup.com/carp/_product_pages/travelhealth.html

BMO Travel Insurance, Allianz Global Risks ( Canadian branch ) ,No , http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/insurance/travel/medical

CIBC Travel insurance ,Co-Operators Life Insurance, No, Administered by TIC Insurance, https://www.cibc.com/ca/insurance/travel/index.html

ETFS ( RSA) Travel insurance, Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Canada ,No, http://www.etfsinsurance.com/individual/travelling-canadians/travel-insurance-protection-for-travelling-canadians.html

M.H.Ross Insurance for Canadians, Co-Operators Life Insurance, Yes , https://advantage.mhross.com/reports/CR795C-Web-01-12.pdf See also www.insuremytrip.ca

MediPac ( SnowBirds assoc ), ManuLife Financial, No , http://www.medipac.com/travel-insurance

PrimeLink ManuLife Financial , No , http://www.primelinkinsurance.ca/plans.htm

PrimeLink Underwiters, ManuLife Financial, No, http://www.primelinkinsurance.ca/travelsense.htm

PC Financial Travel Insurance, Co-Operators Life Insurance , No, Travel Guard Canada

RBC Travel insurance, RBC Insurance Company of Canada, No, http://www.rbcinsurance.com/travelinsurance/index.html

Scotia Bank Travel insurance, ManuLife Financial, No, http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,116,00.html

Special Benefits Insurance Services Green shield Canada ???? No www.sbis.ca

TD bank Travel Insurance, TD Life Insurance Company, No, http://www.tdinsurance.com/products-services/travel-medical-insurance/index.jsp

TIC Travel Insurance , Co-Operators Life Insurance, No, http://www.travelinsurance.ca/plans/canadiansGeneral.php

Travelsafe Insurance for Canadians, Co-Operators Life Insurance Canada, , yes , https://www.tmtsf.com/reports/CT925C-WEB-01-12.pdf See also www.Insuremytrip.ca

Travel Guard of Canada, Chartis Insurance Company of Canada, No, http://www.travelguard.ca/about-us_2011_331105.html

Travel Underwriters Canada , TU Group Canada, No, http://www.travelunderwriters.com/corporate/en/insurewithus/index.shtml

Notes:

1) This list was compiled after simple Internet search using common knowledge of available companies. There could easily be more that are not listed here. This is presented for the use of the reader but should not be considered comprehensive. It also does not include Evacuation Only services such as http://medjetassist.com/

2) There are no American companies listed here unless they have policies tailored for Canadians. Most American policies aimed at Americans and available to Canadians do not have the medical coverages adequate for Canadians.

3) This list is solely for travel medical policies for Canadians. Many, if not all, also offer Trip interruption and cancellation with their medical policies.

4) These companies and their policies will differ in three key areas. 1) The amount of coverage for medical expenses including emergency evacuation 2) The required stability period during which a Pre-existing condition must be stable to be included in the coverage and the definition of a Pre-Ex condition. 3) The age at which a medical questionnaire is required before a policy will be issued. There will be other differences but those are three key differences.

5) Two American companies offing adequate policies to Canadians also offer the Pre-existing condition waiver if the policy is purchased within a specified period of the Trip booking being made.

6) It is absolutely critical that the applicant for a Travel medical policy understand the definition of a Pre-Existing condition and the related stability period. These definitions are spelled out in the policy “ fine print”. It is often mind numbing trying to read and understand the language BUT it MUST be understood before buying.

7) Both Manulife and RBC insurance have received negative press in 2011 and 2012 over denied claims.

The following is an excerpt from a national newspaer article on the issue of Travel medical insurance.

Buyer beware…..March 2012, Susan Eng of CARP, a Canadian advocacy group for people over 50, says the system is set up for claims to be denied.

"Ordinary people are out thousands and thousands of dollars because they did not get the protection they thought they had - only because they made a mistake on the form that they could not possibly have done correctly," she said.

While people do have the responsibility to fill out the medical questionnaires correctly, the bar is set too high, she said.

"They have to do their best. But as we've looked at some examples, the best is not good enough. They simply have all the cards stacked up against them."

According to David Hartman, president of the Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada, of the 500,000 travel insurance claims made every year, 15,000 are denied for a variety of reasons. There are no industry numbers on how many of those denials are because of the medical questionnaire, but research by the CBC's Marketplace shows the number could be in the thousands.

• 7 months later...
I am licensed to sell RBC travel insurance in Canada. Generally, we don't recommend cruise line insurance. In rare instances it works for the client, but on the whole, third party insurance is better. It covers more risks. You need to read the fine print of the cruise line vs third party policies. I have made claims with RBC without any problems.

Hi Dirtgirl. I'm not sure if you are still following this thread. I had a look at RBC's online travel insurance package. It doesn't appear to allow for air evacuation - except if the physician believes you should be flown home. I don't think that would qualify for evacuation off the ship. Following is the text from the website:

icon-collapse.gif Ground ambulance

This insurance covers you for local ground ambulance service to a hospital, physician or medical service provider in an emergency. We will pay for local taxi fare in lieu of local ground ambulance service, where an ambulance is medically required but not available.

icon-expand.gif Repatriation of your remains

If, during your trip, you die from a medical condition covered under this insurance, the insurance covers:

• the transportation of your remains in the common carrier's standard transportation container to your province or territory of residence, and up to $5,000 for the preparation of your remains and for the cost of the common carrier's standard transportation container; or
  • the transportation of your remains to your province or territory of residence and up to $5,000 for the cremation of your remains at the location where your death occurred; or
  • up to $5,000 for the preparation of your remains and the cost of a standard burial container and up to $5,000 for the burial of your remains at the location where your death occurred.
  • If someone is legally required to identify your remains, this insurance covers the cost of a return economy air fare on a commercial flight via the most cost effective route and up to $500 for commercial accommodations and meals for that person. That person is covered under the terms of your insurance during the period in which he/she is required to identify your remains, but for no longer than 3 business days.

icon-collapse.gif Return to your province or territory of residence

If the physician treating you recommends to us in writing that you return to your province or territory of residence because of your medical condition in order to receive emergency medical attention, or if the medical advisors of Assured Assistance Inc. determine that you are able to and recommend that you return to your province or territory of residence following your emergency treatment, this insurance covers you for one or more of the following, when preauthorized and arranged by Assured Assistance Inc., when medically essential:

• the extra cost of a one-way economy air fare on a commercial flight via the most cost effective route to your province or territory of residence to receive immediate emergency medical attention; or
  • the cost of a stretcher fare on a commercial flight via the most cost effective route to your province or territory of residence, if a stretcher is medically necessary; and
  • the cost of a return economy air fare on a commercial flight via the most cost effective route and the usual fees and expenses for a qualified medical attendant to accompany you, when the attendant is medically necessary or required by the airline; or
  • the cost of air ambulance transportation if it is medically essential

I'm trying to find appropriate insurance for an upcoming cruise in February. Air evacuation off the ship is one of the main risks I would like to see covered.

I may be missing something from the policy or RBC may have other policies more appropriate. Could you share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Just wondering which policies cover air evacuation off of the ship if required? Many of the policies I have had a look at are questionable with respect to this item. Have any Canadians confirmed this item in their policies or had the unfortunate need to be reimbursed for this item?

Thanks.

Just wondering which policies cover air evacuation off of the ship if required? Many of the policies I have had a look at are questionable with respect to this item. Have any Canadians confirmed this item in their policies or had the unfortunate need to be reimbursed for this item?

Thanks.

Due to the hazardous nature and specialized training required, I don't believe there are any private companies who evacuate passengers off of cruise ships. All evacuations are only for severe emergencies and if required are performed by Government navies or coast guards.

If you are evacuated by the US Coast Guard, there is no charge.

Due to the hazardous nature and specialized training required, I don't believe there are any private companies who evacuate passengers off of cruise ships. All evacuations are only for severe emergencies and if required are performed by Government navies or coast guards.

If you are evacuated by the US Coast Guard, there is no charge.

I appreciate the clarification. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

We have a TD travel rewards card which covers you for 14 days,

TD coverage is probably the same as RBC

I phoned the other to ask if you need to be airlift of a ship would it covered it

They said yes,

Since our next cruise is 16 days we need to top it up, cost is $34 , which we will gladly pay,

Edited by Airbalancer

We have a TD travel rewards card which covers you for 14 days,

TD coverage is probably the same as RBC

I phoned the other to ask if you need to be airlift of a ship would it covered it

They said yes,

Just curious, who would airlift you off a cruise ship?

Just curious, who would airlift you off a cruise ship?

According to Klfrodo in an earlier post only the Coast Guard or Navy will complete an airlift. We were on a cruise a few years ado where a passenger was airlifted off due to a medical emergency that couldn't be handled on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a repost of my OP. I have added two "new to me " companies.

To all Canadian cruisers. Especially those of you with medical conditions and those over 55. Who do you use for your medical coverage when out of the country?

1) The insurance provided by the major banks?

2) Independent providers such as

a) Primelink b) Primelink underwriters c) Travel Underwiters d) Travel and health care Solutions ( ETFS ) e) TIC f) Travel Guard canada G) CAA H) Sears J) Travelsafe Canada ( has a Pre-Ex Waiver option ) K) Special Benefits Insurance Services , there are probably others.

3) do you take the chance and use the American policies even though the coverage limits are very low and there is little in the way of dispute resolution available to Canadians?

4) Emergency Evac companies such as MedJet Assist, there are probably lots of others. They get you home but don't pay for treatment.

5) How many of you have read and understand the Pre-Existing Condition clauses and stability period requirements? There is a significant difference between these companies in this area.

6) what has been your claim experience?

Almost all of the advice on this board is for Americans which is no surprise since mostly Americans use it. Lets add some Canadian flavor and help each other on this important issue.

Thank you for you posts. They are most helpful.

I have switched from BCAA to TRAVEL INSURANCE MADE EASY - two years ago @ age 66. They appear to be comprehensive and reasonable - n o claims though .....

http://travelinsuranceoffice.com/products/time/index.html

To all Canadian cruisers. Especially those of you with medical conditions and those over 55. Who do you use for your medical coverage when out of the country?

1) The insurance provided by the major banks?

2) Independent providers such as

a) Primelink b) Primelink underwriters c) Travel Underwiters d) Travel and health care Solutions ( ETFS ) e) TIC f) Travel Guard canada G) CAA H) Sears , there are probably others.

3) do you take the chance and use the American policies even though the coverage limits are very low and there is little in the way of dispute resolution available to Canadians?

4) Emergency Evac companies such as MedJet Assist, there are probably lots of others. They get you home but don't pay for treatment.

5) How many of you have read and understand the Pre-Existing Condition clauses and stability period requirements? There is a significant difference between these companies in this area.

6) what has been your claim experience?

Almost all of the advice on this board is for Americans which is no surprise since mostly Americans use it. Lets add some Canadian flavor and help each other on this important issue.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/acrobat/8b/96/372e1cea40ffb82d128d83b0d373.pdf