Buy or rent snorkel gear?

rach1fun

Going Southern Caribbean in October. I was planning on buying snorkeling gear for the trip, but DH doesnt want to lug all that down on the plane. How expensive is it to rent the gear at the beaches? Do you think we could find gear to buy in San Juan that wouldnt cost a fortune?

What does everyone else do? Thanks for your input!

Check out a set from US Diver or LL Bean $35 -65 bucks. Easy to return if it doesn't fit right. That way you are always ready to go and you have gear you are familiar with.

Men's Packing list:

(Fly in khakis, white shirt & blue blazer)

Snorkeling Gear

3 bathing suits

flip flops

3 t Shirts

:rolleyes:

I think thats all.

Many excursions are ''diving gear included'' but since there so many people who use it, you cannot be sure if it cleaned properly; after all we put it in the mouth, not sure it is a good idea to share that with thousand of people.

Since I got very sick coming back from my last cruise; due to dirty diving gear, be sure that I will bring my own next time; renting the fins is a good idea though. :o

2 reasons I would buy my own (and I just did)

1) if you think you will use the gear more than one time ~ it's worth it to buy your own

or

2) if you, like me, don't like germs or chemicals, because I assume the mouthpiece on the rented vest and snorkel will have at least one or the other on it.

I bought sets for DH and I from BJs wholesale for $40 each. They included fins, snorkel, goggles & carry bag. I also bought the snorkel vests from amazon.com. They run $25-40. Nothing is too huge or heavy to pack. Enjoy!!

All excellent points. The one thing I will add is that if you need any type of vision correction (I definitely do), having your own well-fitted mask is really essential. I use my own mask and snorkel and use their fins.

• 1 month later...

The first cruise we went on, we rented. Then when we realized that we were hooked on cruising and snorkelling, we bought our own snorkel and masks. My DH's came to just over $100 and mine just under $200. My mask cost more because I needed prescription lense inserts so I could actually see what I'm looking at. :)

The first cruise we went on, we rented. Then when we realized that we were hooked on cruising and snorkelling, we bought our own snorkel and masks.

Reminds me of "our" story! :) Getting hooked on cruising & snorkeling is a good thing

Have been hooked on cruising and snorkeling for my last 4 cruises. Decided to purchase my own snorkeling gear, from costco and everything worked out. I really like the snorkel as it prevents the water going down the tube. A friend lent me her vest which is the next item that I will buy.

The set that I bought for $39 included a mesh bag which makes it easier to carry. I also wear glasses but have no issues not wearing them underwater. Did have an issue with the mask fogging up even after using spit. In Playa Carmen, I managed to find a scuba shop who sold me some ant-fog spray which worked like a charm. Would recommend everyone to purchase this spray, it did seem expensive at $7 but made seeing the fish better.

Will be back in Belize & Roatan in Oct, can't wait.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Check out www. snorkelmart .com (put it all together ;)) They will have everything you are looking for. We have our own. Buy the short fins. They fit in a carry on (along with your clothes) with no problem. The best part is it is not pricy. The thought of putting my mouth on a mouth piece used by who knows is just:eek:!

We do however use the snorkel vests supplied by the excersion. The exception to that is our children. They bring their own as I want to make sure that they fit properly and are not just given an adult vest.

Regardless of what you decide, have fun:cool:

I would definitely invest in bringing your own mask and snorkel. But to cut down on the baggage, rent the fins.

Agree!

Half the time, I don't even bother with the fins anyway. If I am in a protected area and not worried about having to come back against a current, I just swim with my water shoes on. But I love to swim and need the exercise.;)

• 2 months later...
Going Southern Caribbean in October. I was planning on buying snorkeling gear for the trip, but DH doesnt want to lug all that down on the plane. How expensive is it to rent the gear at the beaches? Do you think we could find gear to buy in San Juan that wouldnt cost a fortune?

Bought gear (US Divers) including duck fins for about $60 at Dick's Sporting Goods several years ago - great purchase. It's no problem to carry - it goes in my carry-on with my nightgown, bathing suit, cover-up, snorkel vest ($20), deodorant, medicine and toothbrush. If everything else gets lost, I'm still 'good to go' with that much! I can eat on the Lido Deck - I can't make it without my bathing suit and snorkel gear! That IS the Caribbean to me!:D

PS - I wouldn't leave it til San Juan. You'd probably have to go to the mall to purchase and waste a day -- don't waste a minute in San Juan. It's too beautiful and there's too much to see!

• 2 weeks later...

For hygiene purposes and for the sake of being comfortable, we always use and bring our own stuff (even when travelling!). Though it is kinda heavy, as long as you bring at least a mask and snorkel, you should be able to rent fins. You can get special reef bags that are mesh that is a good way to let your gear drip dry after use and keep it all together when travelling

Good Luck!

We bring our own mask, snorkel and fins. We only bring a carry-on plus a small pack each so everything is packed carefully. I do not like the idea of using the same mouthpiece as someone else. I experienced an ill fitting mask once but never again. The fins can be rented in most places even though we bring our own.

Mask and snorkel are a definate BRING YOU OWN.

We bought and brought our own gear and it is well worth it. Got it on amazon and swimoutlet.com for not much more than it cost to rent. Turns out 2 rentals and they paid for themselves. My DD and I had find already because we are swimmers, but I bought for my DD and DH, but they wanted the long ones. To be honest though our shorter fins (which are typically a training fin for swimmers) packed easier, carried easier and worked just as well.

I'm probably the outlier.

First it comes down to if you will use it again and how often.

Good gear isn't cheap, yes you can get cheaper stuff, you always have to pay for quality. I've used cheap gear, boy it sucks.

My experience in renting on two islands ( hawaii ) is the rentals are generally pretty good stuff. When your business depends on ROI you don't waste time/money on cheap stuff. Buy quality and it lasts longer. Not sure but yeah sticking something that has been in someone's else mouth sounds bad. Psst you know you do that at dinner, you also sleep on sheets and a bed that someone else did too, sit on a toilet that others did etc. etc. Damm you might be swimming next to some kid or adult that doesn't want to make the long trip to shore for the restroom.. :eek::D

Than you got the huge aggrivation of deciding buying quality, using once, carrying it all on the plane, storing in your cabin, lugging to the excursion etc. etc.

Do people bring their own plastic, sheets, forks, plates.. sorry just kidding ;)

We bought our own gear for a couple of different reasons. 1) It will eventually pay itself off with all the snorkeling we like to do versus constant renting 2) I am horribly near sighted so using a regular rented mask didn't do much for me being able to actually er eh be able to SEE the darn fish. So.......bought a prescription mask and the first time I actually used it thought I'd died and gone to heaven, everything was so clear! DH always knows when I'm dreaming of another cruise when I'm reading the paper wearing my mask :D :D :D

3) Probably the most important reason which is a biggie: HYGIENE. All they do with rented snorkels is drop them in a bucket of water, that's pretty much it from what I've seen. I'm not even sure if it even has soap in the water, let alone disinfectant. So think about this: Some dude coming down with the Norwalk virus used the snorkel that later gets handed to you? You're putting your mouth on a mouthpiece that some stranger had his/her mouth on previous to you -- that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Snorkels take up very little space in the luggage, so my best recommendation is at least buy your own snorkel.

Count me in for the buy your own but ONLY if you think you are going to snorkel a lot like I do. You can get some pretty good stuff for not too bad of a price but the important part is the fit of the mask. Get a mask that fits and you are ahead of the game. Another disadvantage of renting is this, how many trips have I been on where people spend tons of time trying on equipment and sizing on a boat trip where you could be relaxing knowing they have everything and it fits just fine. Of course in all fairness carrying it around on planes on cruises can be a pain so I am being honest however it is worth it to me. While I lived in FL is was really nice to just carry it to the port in the car but I owned my own stuff years before I moved there.

Another item that is not a must but something to think about is a snorkel vest. I bought one of those as well mainly because I snorkel a lot on my own and want it to help to be seen in the water or in an emergency I can put a few puffs of air in it. Also a lot of the tours and Private Islands require them and in the case of CoCo Cay they want to charge but I have my own. So all in all if you snorkel a lot it will pay for itself and is worth it, if you don't snorkel a lot perhaps it is not. The Mask is the most important part so maybe you can just by that because having a good fit is so important.

My take

Archived