Celebrity Art Auctions at Sea

2TravelersBySea

Celebrity uses British American Auctions out of Pompano Beach, FL. They have an "F" rating....the worst you can have.

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/auctioneers/british-american-auctions-in-pompano-beach-fl-90016581

As an artist who attended one of these in March 2011, there is only a tiny fraction of (poorly executed) original art on board. The giclees are hugely overvalued, and anything remotely of value (lithos, numbered, signed prints of small editions) all have hidden reserve prices that are inflated. The gallery price they quote to get the bidding started is incredible. Google the piece and the edition number first!

If you bid on and win something, or pay to deliver a raffle you won, don't expect to be hanging the picture in your home any time in the near or distant future. See 1st sentence.

CELEBRITY CRUISES acts as an accomplice as British Art Auctions defrauds their cruise customers. Strong words, but see 1st sentence and BBB link.

We have bought art in the past from Park West. Some liked the company, some didn't. We mostly did. But I have to agree with you on the quality of artwork, as well as presentation during the auctions on board now. We used to go to people watch but don't evenj do that anymore. X went from the frying pan into the fire on this one.

Celebrity uses British American Auctions out of Pompano Beach, FL. They have an "F" rating....the worst you can have.

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/auctioneers/british-american-auctions-in-pompano-beach-fl-90016581

As an artist who attended one of these in March 2011, there is only a tiny fraction of (poorly executed) original art on board. The giclees are hugely overvalued, and anything remotely of value (lithos, numbered, signed prints of small editions) all have hidden reserve prices that are inflated. The gallery price they quote to get the bidding started is incredible. Google the piece and the edition number first!

If you bid on and win something, or pay to deliver a raffle you won, don't expect to be hanging the picture in your home any time in the near or distant future. See 1st sentence.

CELEBRITY CRUISES acts as an accomplice as British Art Auctions defrauds their cruise customers. Strong words, but see 1st sentence and BBB link.

Maybe defraud is too strong a word? How about Celebrity continually uses and promotes an F-rated company to their cruising customers. Makes one wonder about the other "world class" amenities on board like the expensive jewelry and qualifications of the spa services? Are those as ill-vetted?

Celebrity is no different from any other line. It is a huge lesson in Caveat Emptor.

We look on the Art Auctions as a form of entertainment. Just like the juggler, or the comedian, sometimes they are good entertainment, sometimes bad. Sometimes we wonder who books the acts on board, they are so awful. And then there are some really great entertainers.

As to the shops, the spa, the acupuncturists, and so forth, they are all subcontracts, not Celebrity staff.

Who vettes any of them, we ask?

And then there are the so-called "shopping guides" who are hired by the shops they promote.

All of these are designed to get newbie cruisers to part with their money. After a couple of cruises, it's amazing how much smaller your bill can be, once you figure out not to fall for the hype.

It's a dead giveaway that the art isn't classic.

There's not a single Elvis on black velvet.:(

Nor is there a single bullfighter on black velvet.

I did, however, find the famous "DOGS PLAYING POKER" once.:rolleyes:

But don't forget, you get one glass of really cheap champagne for FREE.:cool:

If that doesn't entice you to spend a couple of grand...well, I give up.:confused:

Everything on the cruise is designed to make them money. Why anyone would think you can buy "better" art/jewelry during a cruise than you would on land is beyond me. Do people really believe that the cruise ship procured these "works of art" just for their passengers in order to offer them the best value or something unique?

This also applies to clothing and camera sales. It's 2011 and we have the internet. At this point, it's your fault for not doing the research.

The only sure thing is that you save paying your local sales tax. So if you buy a perfume on board even if it's the same price as at home, you save that local tax. Same with liquor, at the minimum you'll save the local tax. Or an Apple computer. Some things I would consider buying, but artwork? No chance.

The only sure thing is that you save paying your local sales tax. So if you buy a perfume on board even if it's the same price as at home, you save that local tax. Same with liquor, at the minimum you'll save the local tax. Or an Apple computer. Some things I would consider buying, but artwork? No chance.

Good point about Apple products they pretty much cost the same no matter where you buy them. Having said that, you will get 4X points for buying an Apple computer online via AMEX ...but still pay tax. I think the 200 bucks in tax is still more value than 4X points.

Technically many states still require you to pay sales tax on items you purchase tax free outside of your home state (if the items are to be used in the state where you reside).

Let's face facts. "Art" for sale on a ship has to be there to part fools from their money.

I asked a art rep about buy back and they laughed. The "junk" they sell has less of a resale value than jewelry.

Could never understand why someone would go on a cruise to buy art work. During our first cruise we went to one to see what it was about and to get the free glass of wine. For us it a waste of time and have never gone to another.

Let's face facts. "Art" for sale on a ship has to be there to part fools from their money.

I asked a art rep about buy back and they laughed. The "junk" they sell has less of a resale value than jewelry.

Could never understand why someone would go on a cruise to buy art work. During our first cruise we went to one to see what it was about and to get the free glass of wine. For us it a waste of time and have never gone to another.

I swear that they had shills that walk around telling you about the great purchase they made on their last cruise during the preview. It seemed as if these same people would be bidding on many pieces during the auction but not really winning any.

Archived