Best Place for Lunch in Key West

inga418

I will be in Key West on April 18th. My 40th birthday :D. We plan to just hop on city view and get off when something catches our eye but please tell me your favorite spot for lunch and why you love it so much. So many places to choose from. I am rather picky buy my soon to be husband is not so a little mix of this and that would be nice. Thanks!

I have two favorite places to eat lunch in Key West. One is Latitudes on Sunset Key. The boat ride over to Sunset Key is free, but you need to make reservations and pick up the free ticket at the Westin Hotel concierge. The boat ride is fun and the view at Latitudes is so beautiful.

The other favorite place is Louie's Backyard. Again, the view is lovely.

Both these places are at the higher spectrum of prices for Key West. I've often seen people sit down at a table in Louie's Backyard, read the menu...and leave!

The food is actually better at Louie's Backyard, but the view out at Latitudes and the fun boat ride make this restaurant a very special place.

I had a terrible experience at Latitudes - with the worst restaurant service I have ever had - a couple of months ago, so I certainly would not chance it for something as special as a 40th birthday!

Instead, I'd look to Azur (in fact, had my birthday lunch there this year!). Louie's is also a good suggestion.

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

As a local, my recommendation for lunch is Blackfin Bistro at 918 Duval St. They have one of the best burgers on the island. Also, their escargot is delicious.

Another great place for a Cuban Classic, steak wrap, or grouper sandwich is Bistro 245 at the Westin Resort. If your ship ties up at Pier B, it's right at the bow lines.

• 2 weeks later...
what about the bars, like sloppy joes. how is their food.

Typical bar food. Just add conch fritters, etc. It's ok, and I wouldn't say don't eat there, especially if you find you love the Sloppy Joe's atmosphere and want to hang out there. The food just isn't anything special.

I've read some mixed to positive reviews for Fogarty's but I love them! We always sit outside on the patio to people watch and enjoy the weather. The food I've tried there has been terrific.
I really like Fogarty's as well -- fun atmosphere and good food.

Another favorite of mine for lunch (or breakfast) is Pepe's Cafe on Caroline Street.

http://pepescafe.net/menu.htm

My favorite place for Cuban is El Siboney on the corner of Catherine and Margaret.

http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/menu.html

Salsa Loca is my favorite spot for Mexican food -- at Cowboy Bill's on Duval & Angela.

http://salsalocakeywest.com/menu.htm

None of these are high end places, just places we love.

• 2 weeks later...
As a local, my recommendation for lunch is Blackfin Bistro at 918 Duval St. They have one of the best burgers on the island. Also, their escargot is delicious.

Another great place for a Cuban Classic, steak wrap, or grouper sandwich is Bistro 245 at the Westin Resort. If your ship ties up at Pier B, it's right at the bow lines.

Blackfin is great... both for burgers and fresh fish, sandwiches and even breakfast!

Over the weekend I had brunch/lunch at Croissants de France (full review coming soon on the blog) and it was surprisingly good. Excellent food and service.

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

In response to some above comments:

El Siboney is great, though off the beaten path.

I wouldn't bother eating at Conch Republic but it's fine for drinks.

Fogarty's is OK, nothing special but outdoors and good for people watching on Duval. Same for Carolines. Food is just as good or better at Jack Flats but you're indoors.

We hadn't been to Turtle Kraals for a few years but were there a few weeks ago and had a nice dinner.

If you want something special and above the average bar food, go to tripadvisor and you'll find lots of good suggestions.:)

• 2 years later...

We just returned yesterday from the conquest and was in key west on may 7th. We ate at carolines on Duvall and it was awesome . We each left half our order it was so much. You can google and get menu.

We did the city view trolley and it was stop #2. The map had a coupon for free piece of key lime pie.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed this advice back in 2010 and loved it. Nothing fancy in appearance, but good food and service. I'm trying to talk friends into trying it this Halloween. Its a short walk from the Hemmingway house if you jump off the bus there.

FWIW the Conch Republic Seafood Co (AKA the Conch Farm) now serves tuna tataki...

ry%3D400

Pjk

Greetings

That looks quite yummy. Still miss the conchscargo they use to serve when they still had a conch farm.

Good Sailing

Tom

• 3 months later...