Best Place for Lunch in Key West

inga418

Is Kelly's still open? We had many meals and happy hour appy's there when we stayed in the Truman Annex one year. Loved the atmosphere and the wings!! Seemed to have good prices and great food. Haven't heard much about it lately, but it's worth the mention if your looking for a cute indoor/outdoor place.

Is Kelly's still open? We had many meals and happy hour appy's there when we stayed in the Truman Annex one year. Loved the atmosphere and the wings!! Seemed to have good prices and great food. Haven't heard much about it lately, but it's worth the mention if your looking for a cute indoor/outdoor place.

Yes, Kelly's is still open....although it's been many years since Kelly McGillis has owned it. In not a big fan of the dining floor, with all the plastic tables. But the bar area is really nice and has a Key a West feel.

• 1 month later...

Any other thoughts? Some of the menus seem a bit pricey to me, I am just looking for a good sandwich , I like grouper, but, it is not on most of the menus, unless it is the local catch? :confused: I figure I'll go to Kermit's for the Chocolate Key Lime on a stick. If I like it, I might ship one home to my coworkers as a souvenir. :)

OMG!!! Garbo's is the BEST!!

It is a small place....we knew where to find it and walked past it the first go-round! They have the BEST food! YUMMY! I will warn you that they give you a LOT of food. If we'd known the portions were so big, we'd have split one.

It isn't a swanky sit down place (we sat on old mild crates) and there are chickens/roosters roaming about.....but that is the charm of Key West.

Good food, good prices, large portions.....what's NOT to like?!?!?!?

edit: forgot to mention that the people are really nice - but they cook everything fresh, so allow about 10 minutes for them to cook your food for you!!

Edited by CaroleSS

The takeaway from this thread is that you need to plan at least a week's vacation in Key West so you can eat at all these great places....BUT you will need to report back to us and let us know your findings!!! :D

The other takeaway is that there's lots of great places....the bad part is you can only pick one!

Blue Heaven is the only place to eat.

Hmm, Blue Heaven's website doesn't have prices on it. Is it one of those, if you have to ask, you can't afford it places? Cute cat, though! ;)

Blackfin gets good reviews, but, the only fish at lunch is 1 sandwich- the local catch. If I don't like that kind of fish, I'm SOL. Well, I plan to eat at the Fish Fry in Nassau on Monday, maybe by Wednesday in KW, I'll just get a burger or something. It just seems like I should be able to get seafood in FL!! Am I spoiled because I'm from MA and there is always seafood there? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that Jack Flats has a fried grouper sandwich. Caroline's has a different fried fish sandwich (can't remember what it is) and a grilled mahi-mahi sandwich. BO's has a fish sandwich that is often mahi, but was grouper at least one time I was there (probably not good odds for that though). I love the tuna sandwich at Blackfin. I'd recommend any of these.

I'm pretty sure that Jack Flats has a fried grouper sandwich. Caroline's has a different fried fish sandwich (can't remember what it is) and a grilled mahi-mahi sandwich. BO's has a fish sandwich that is often mahi, but was grouper at least one time I was there (probably not good odds for that though). I love the tuna sandwich at Blackfin. I'd recommend any of these.

Thanks, Jack Flats looks good and is right on Duval St. I can get fish n chips for $15.00, sounds promising. :)

Here is a great website where you can check out restaurants and their menus:

http://keywestmenu.com/menus.htm

Just remember that this is a paid publication and only features restaurants that have purchased ad space which is like one fourth of the restaurants in town.

But it is a handy pub.

Mike:)

As Philadelphia natives we always visit the Rum Barrel. Fun bar good food. Go up to the rooftop deck. Go Eagles! Flyers! Phillies! Sixers too I guess. Will be there on 12/13

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

FWIW the Rum Barrel just posted their Thanksgiving menu which lasts from 11/24 - 11/30 and is slanted towards lobster ---> http://www.rumbarrel.com/key-west-thanksgiving-menu

Pjk

• 1 month later...
As a local, my recommendation for lunch is Blackfin Bistro at 918 Duval St. They have one of the best burgers on the island. Also, their escargot is delicious.

Another great place for a Cuban Classic, steak wrap, or grouper sandwich is Bistro 245 at the Westin Resort. If your ship ties up at Pier B, it's right at the bow lines.

I know this is a very old post but do you happen to know if this place is still open by as good as you remember? Thanks!