$20 1 Hr Massages?

Derf

So, it sounds like Costa Maya is known for these, however the details seem kinda sparse.

From what I have gathered is that you need to take the taxi to the Malecon in Majuhul (sp?) and look there?

Once there, do you have to barter to get this rate or is this a posted rate? Are there any specific recommendations for outfits as I am sure some are better than others? Thanks for any help!

When you get to the Costa Maya port, take the "taxi" (which we call a bus!) to Majahual. It cost just a few dollars per person. The looks of the place may have you questioning whether or not you should get off the bus, BUT don't let it stop you! It's a very poor community. As soon as you get there, the local people start taking VERY GOOD care of you. You are their "bread & butter" and they know it! We had a group of about 14 people. As soon as they saw us, the waiters from the bar started pushing tables together under a palm tree, rushing to get enough chairs together and, of course, laying menus out on the table. Right on the beach, there is an area where we got the VERY BEST massages for $20/ hour. It was the posted price... no bartering. Not knowing what to expect, I paid for only a half hour, but once she got started I had my daughter run for another $10 so I could go for a full hour... it was WONDERFUL! There were probably 5 or 6 tables set up (with white linens) under a white canopy. All the women giving the massages were dressed in white uniforms. It's obvious that they are doing their best to look professional. There is also quite a few vendors on the beach who have set up tents for you to wander through. This is where you can do the bartering. They weren't pushy or rude, so it was kinda fun to see what kind of bargains you could get. Costa Maya turned out to be one of my favorite ports ever! I'm so glad that I read the posts on here telling me to venture outside of the port area... that's where you get to experience the "real" Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...

My sis and I asked a taxi driver for the price to the beach and it was $5 pp. We thought it was better than waiting for the local bus as we had already walked around for 10 minutes and saw no trace of the bus. The taxi driver will take you to the location where he gets his kickback. You are under no obligation to stay where you are dropped off - in fact, we were quoted different pices as we walked down the beach. The average was $5 per beach chair with a drink. If you like to negotiate, you can certainly get a lower price. Or if you walk away, the price will suddenly start dropping or the vendor will throw in more "freebies" such as beer instead of soda, etc. On the way back to the cruise ship, we were quoted $4 per person for the taxi ride - go figure.

As "luvstocruise" indicated, there are plenty of massage areas. When we first got there, it was $20 for one hour. Then as more passengers arrived, some places started charging $25 an hour. I looked at the faces of some of the patrons and they seemed quite happy with their massage.

we sat on the beach all afternoon at The Green Iguana. I thought about getting a massage but after watching for a while, I noticed that they never put clean towels down on the massage table after each customer. I know its vacation and all, but I just dont think I want to lay where a bunch of other sweaty, oily tourist laid before me.:(

Archived