I worked for Royal Caribbean and shot these videos in my spare time

I used to work for Royal Caribbean as a video tech, and I started shooting timelapse videos as a hobby from the bridge. I really enjoyed it, and did it for a couple of years. Here are some of my favorite clips, all edited into one video. I really hope you enjoy it...it's a neat little trip around Europe, South America, the Caribbean and Alaska and it shows you a side of cruising you don't see when you're out there doing it in real time.

Watch for the glacier at 3:20...that worked out pretty nicely :)

I used to work for Royal Caribbean as a video tech, and I started shooting timelapse videos as a hobby from the bridge. I really enjoyed it, and did it for a couple of years. Here are some of my favorite clips, all edited into one video. I really hope you enjoy it...it's a neat little trip around Europe, South America, the Caribbean and Alaska and it shows you a side of cruising you don't see when you're out there doing it in real time.

Watch for the glacier at 3:20...that worked out pretty nicely :)

Loved it, Loved it! Thanks so much for sharing your travels...just wish I could move at that speed!!;)

Thank you for sharing that miraflores, great video and music track! Loved the Hubbard calving (been there!) and I noticed the rainbow (right side of screen) at about 4:15. Very nice and very fun! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I hope to make more, and am trying to get on the Allure this season to shoot a timelapse video dedicated to that ship. It took me a couple of years to get this footage, and I was on 3 ships. I was on the Majesty, the Radiance and the Splendour. I also made a few of these videos when I worked on a ship called The World, but I'm not allowed to show those videos. On that ship, I actually recorded a few minutes from the bridge camera everyday for an entire year, and the video that came out of that was amazing...I really wish I could show it. The video started in Norway, and ended in China. To think of it, I actually used the same song...haha.

Sorry, I can't edit the link up at the top anymore. Hopefully people figure out that it's this link:

Thanks for pointing that out, and I'm glad you like the train video...haha. Whoops!

This was well worth watching! RCI should use it in a commercial - even the music was appropriate (and non-annoying:) ) Your slow-down for the glacier was awesome!

This was well worth watching! RCI should use it in a commercial - even the music was appropriate (and non-annoying:) ) Your slow-down for the glacier was awesome!

Thanks! I shot all of these while I was working for them, and I used to always put them in the Cruise In Review Videos. Whenever we did something that I thought would make a good timelapse, I'd put it in the video, and it kind of became my thing. I would get the same shots every week and I ended up with multiple copies of a lot of those angles. I don't know how many boat drills I timelapsed...haha. Probably about 20-30, I think. They all look the same to me. I used to make compilations of them for the crew, and we used to show them at our all-crew meetings. Officers loved them, and I'd be making discs for them all the time in return for pretty much 24/7 bridge access (actually, I was one of the few people onboard who had 24/7 access...strictly for this purpose. Nobody ever asked any questions when I'd show up with the camera...they were always glad I was there to catch it.

I really like the music in this video. The band is called Slide Five. They're from San Francisco, but unfortunately they're not around anymore. That was about 10 years ago that they did that. It sounds new, but it's actually pretty old. I thought it suited it really well. Music is hard to pick though. I almost went with Django Reinhardt...haha. It actually worked almost as well...but in a different way. Maybe next time ;)

I'm glad the glacier footage worked out so well...it looked great on the big screen in the theatre when I showed it that week on the cruise. Pretty much everyone in the theatre gasped when they saw it. I thought it'd get a reaction. I used t always go down in the rescue boat with a camera to shoot footage when we'd get to the glacier, and I was shooting in the boat when that happened that day (i think you can actually see the rescue boat in the footage) I remember hearing it crack behind me, and then I heard everyone cheering on the ship. I looked up at the bridge where the camera was, and knew the angle was pretty close to centre. It felt so good to know that lined up like that so nicely within a second of it happening. I remember that moment. I was like "I got that!" I couldn't wait to watch the footage, and it was pretty much what I thought it was going to be :)

Great video - hope you are successful getting on the Allure. I bet the Hubbard glacier shot helped Cruise in Reivew sales that week !!!!!!!!!!

mac_tlc

I really hope I can get onto the Allure, it would make for an amazing little video. I'm working on sponsorship right now to help me cover costs. Yeah, the glacier really helped sales. That, and the fact that I always strived to make our videos the best in the fleet, really helped me sell videos. The Photo Managers all loved me, because I finally gave them a product they were proud to sell. If you got one of my videos, you got something much better than other techs were producing. I used live sound, interviews, timelapses, extra sections, and really tried to have fun with it. The Panama Canal transit, where I timelapsed it was still the best selling CIR I've been involved with. We sold 175 onboard (average about 30), and the video has been seen over a million times on YouTube...including by probably a lot of CC'ers.

Archived