Transderm Scōp® patch

To the OP:

My sister and I have used the patch on every cruise we have been on. Including a B2B which meant that we were wearing them every day for two weeks and we have never had any side effects. And we do have a glass of wine or two throughout the day (lunch and/or supper).

Is it possible to ask your family doctor to prescribe just one for you to try out to make sure you don't have any adverse side effects? I know my doctor suggested this when I first spoke to him about using them, although I told him it wasn't necessary.

So glad I saw this thread. I was on a cruise a few months ago and woke up one morning and everything up close was very blurry for at least the rest of that day -- couldn't read a thing. I was a bit freaked out about it since I had no idea why it was happening. Well, now I know.

We are cruising this Sunday and had planned to use patches again. Looks like I will be hitting the store tomorrow for some ginger and Bonine instead.

Scopolamine is a deadly poison.

The patch delivers the poison in doses low enough to impair your barin functions, but not to kill you.

There is not one cruise line, ship, or ship's doctor in the world that will recommend the patch. You need to ask yourself why that would be the case.

We have seen really shocking side effects on far too many occasions.

At least once per month we find a passenger wandering the corridors, unable to speak any known language, unable to remember their name or cabin number, completely disoriented, sometimes completely naked.

We pull the patch off and they usually come around in about 12 hours.

Hi. Now this is simply my experience but I do not like them. the first time I used them we were cruising on our own boat. The first side effects I noticed was feeling very sleepy, very dry mouth and very congested..kind of like you feel when you are coming down with the flu. Then several weeks later, we were leaving a protected anchorage to make an open water crossing. We had been waiting for good weather and I had been wearing the patch for about 48 hours. I was at the helm and my DH was guiding us through a very narrow opening with coral heads....I was trying not to look at the compass b/c the movement makes me queasy, so I was looking for something to focus on so I would keep the correct heading. then it occurred to me, that I should just follow my DH.....and at that time, I knew it sounded too easy, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you why.....so from then on, I do not use them. They make me too doty.....I have used prescription meclizine, ginger and ..when things get really bad, I take an atavan and sleep it away. I will warn you, as others have, that anything you are trying for the first time should be tried out at home first.....everyone has their favorite method, but I do envy those that do not get seasick.......it is miserable......L

I used the patch on my first Caribbean cruise and it was a miracle drug! For 28 yrs I stayed away from cruising after experiencing severe motion sickness aboard a Greek cruise. I took my first Caribbean cruise with RCI 5 yrs ago, wearing the patch. Not one problem at all with any type of motion, including a wild speedboat ride in Antigua! I don't drink much but had some wine and one piña colada (saved my $$ on more impt things like excursions etc) and had no side effects at all. The only thing I experienced was after the trip with an unsettled GI tract, but for a short time and no other symptoms. I recommended it to a friend who has every type of motion sickness there is and she was absolutely fine on her trip. I plan on using the patch on our trip in July to the Western Caribbean on the Allure. We are psyched!!:)

Use to wear the patch and they lasted x amount of days. Changed the patch toward the end of the cruise. After leaving the airport (thought I still would wear it for the flight) I took the patch off. I was in bed for 2 days because I had vertigo so bad. This had never happen to me before but I found out at the doctors that I removed my patch too soon. That I should have left it on until the medication wore off. Never waore a patch again. I just go outside and look at the horizon on my balcony.:)

Ugh. I had a similar experience a few years ago. In fact, DS16 used the patch for about 8 weeks for excessive drooling. That dry mouth side effect fixed him right up. But he kept having little episodes of vomiting off and on. He can't talk, so I didn't put two and two together. Then he started running into walls and fell right over on the floor twice. That's when it hit me--this kid has vertigo! I realized that he was having these episodes every time we changed the patch. So, no more patch for him! It took us 2 weeks to get him back to normal again. Ugh. My carpets took a beating that month.

We just got back from our cruise earlier this month and DH & DS24 used the patches successfully. I went with the Bonine(2pills nightly) and DD18 had no problem with seasickness at all. DH and I also used Sea Bands. I am very prone to motion sickness so i was very worried. But the Bonine took care of it. I still felt the motion of the ship, especially when the seas were rough. And a couple times I forgot to put the sea bands on and then I really felt green. But within a few minutes to an hour after replacing the sea bands I was right as rain. I don't know if it was all in my head, but it worked.

All of us experienced a little motion after we got off the ship. I suggest that you might want to continue taking the Bonine for a couple days. DH & DS took their patches off as soon as we left the ship and they seemed to suffer the most with post-cruise illness. But we were all back to normal within 2-3 days

Archived