question about binoculars powers

larsont7010

We just booked out NB cruise for August. After reading many years and hearing the advice from our friends who previously have been to Alaska cruise, we decided to get a pair of binoculars for our trip. But we are not sure whether to get 8x42 or 10x42 size? Does 10x42 mean 420x magnification power?

We just booked out NB cruise for August. After reading many years and hearing the advice from our friends who previously have been to Alaska cruise, we decided to get a pair of binoculars for our trip. But we are not sure whether to get 8x42 or 10x42 size? Does 10x42 mean 420x magnification power?

Here's a good explanation of how binoculars work and what the #'s mean

http://www.monkoptics.co.uk/General/binocularterms.html

I watch a lot of marine wildlife, and for that, in my opinion, wide angle is a must in Alaska. The distances are so vast, that you need a wide field of view for tracking. Makes a significant difference. For Denali Park, at least 10 power is "necessary" again, only my opinion.

we bought both 10x and 8x. The 10x was for land tour and 8x was used for whale watching from ship. We were able to spot some black bears on shore with the binoculars. Without them, we would not even know their existence.

The first number refers to the magnification and the second to the width of the field of view. I have 10 x 42 and they are quite adequate. The only problem is vibration on a small boat.

thank you. It was embarrasing to think the 10x42 is 420x magnification power. Did a little bit digging, I think we should get 10x since we will use more often during the land tour in Denali. I saw that Nikon Monarch 10x42 and Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 both got good reviews here. Which one should I go?

I have several sets of binoculars, 10X50 which I find pick up even my vibration standing in my living room looking out over the Strait of Georgia, an old pair of 8X42 which I keep in my car and find very adequate for general purposes and a pair of 7X50 which are my go to glasses and the ones I cruise with. 7X and 8X tend to the be the marine standard and take vibration out of the equation.

thank you. It was embarrasing to think the 10x42 is 420x magnification power. Did a little bit digging, I think we should get 10x since we will use more often during the land tour in Denali. I saw that Nikon Monarch 10x42 and Zen-Ray VISTA 10x42 both got good reviews here. Which one should I go?

We are very happy with the VISTA binoculars. No matter which one you got, as long as wildlife viewing is important to you, you will be much happier for taking one with you.

Archived