Pros and cons of aft facing balcony cabins

PowerMalc

Poole

If you go to https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/fleet/ve_d734 you will see a picture of the obstruction on Ventura, Azura's sister ship.

Hello OldJersyCruiser.

Many thanks for the picture - the balcony doesn't look too appetising to me - even if it is longer than the usual ones! Perhaps we should change and just go for a side balcony -a great shame, as we were looking forward to having a wider view from the aft-end.

Regards.

Poole

What do experienced cruisers think of aft facing balcony cabins.

I'm looking at a cruise on either 'Azura' or 'Ventura'.

What are the pluses and minuses of having an aft facing balcony cabin?

My thinking is that it would be out of the wind when sailing but does the ships engine exhaust fumes tend to sweep down to the stern

The main advantage is the view ...

Balcony-aftviewII.jpg

U-IMG_0532.jpg

Pros - besides the wonderful rear view is the fact that you can see what is on both sides of the ship. Also the lack of wind can be a plus, though to be honest, because of the side panels wind is not really a factor on the side facing balconies.

Cons - on most ships the rear slopes down, meaning that part of your balcony may be visible from above. This can also result in trash from above ending up on your balcony. I once collected four ping-pong balls off my rear facing balcony. But other trash, like spilled drinks and cigaret buds and ash can end up on your balcony. Also the lack of wind that you mentioned can make the balcony a little stuffy and hot. Finally, when the ship is underway the soot can end up falling on your balcony.

I used to be a big rear facing balcony fan, and in fact I have one for my next cruise. That said, my favorite is a forward facing balcony. Very few ships have any, but I had one for my Panama Canal cruise and it was wonderful.

1-JadeinPCI.jpg

SRPV_3530.jpg

2730231610095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2491700030095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Brilliant - never thought of that! Perhaps, though, there might be some complaints from the people above when they arrive on our balcony clutching their wine glasses!

Who are you responding to? :confused:

Cruiseluvva - many thanks. We have booked D 734 for a World in 2013, but are a bit worried that there may be an obstructin beam on the balcony, and that there will be no open-air if the balcony is fully covered. Any ideas?

Regards.

Poole

I don't know about D deck to be honest but have a look at this thread.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808951&highlight=beam+and+vent

Hope you have a lovely time anyway.

Archived