To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.

I don't care where you are on a cruise ship, if you will be prone to being sea sick you will be sea sick. A lower level cabin doesn't change a thing.

But...if you are prone to being seasick, having that fresh air can sure make a difference :)

We've cruised in insides, outsides, balconies, mini suites and have to say, especially after our last cruise (inside cabin/short cruise/not great weather) we won't cruise unless we can afford the balcony. That small piece of real estate makes a much nicer cruise for us.

Been on about 6 cruises - 2 ocean view, 4 inside cabins. I consider myself "frugal" rather than "cheap."

However, we are now discussing (in a year or two) a couple of repositioning cruises. One to or from Europe - time of year is usually April or October, I think - kind of chilly in the North Atlantic, so maybe not worth the extra price, which can be about $400-500 per person, depends on the cruise.

We are also talking about a fall repositioning cruise thru the Panama Canal - there I think a balcony would be totally worth it. Any thoughts on time of year and location being worth it for a balcony?

Even in inclement weather we enjoy our balcony. We did a coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver and really enjoyed leaving our balcony door open all night. This wouldn't work on a warm weather cruise as it interferes with air conditioning. Personally I think a balcony on a transatlantic would be a must.

An ocean-view room with a porthole isn't really much of a view. The portholes are usually situated such that you cannot sit in a chair or lay on the bed and gaze out the window at the passing scenery. And a porthole is not the same as a window. You won't get much natural light through the porthole.

A lot depends on your itinerary I suppose. We had a balcony on our recent Australia/New Zealand Cruise. It was lovely sitting out on the balcony as we sailed into and departed from our ports of call. Our entry to Sydney Harbor was particularly memorable. We arrived right around sunrise. Our balcony was on the port side of the ship, and we sailed directly past the famed Sydney Opera House just as the sun was beginning to brighten the sky with beautiful shades of coral, pink and lavender. The white roof of the Opera House was iridescent with color, like an enormous mother-of-pearl sculpture. It was breathtaking. That one arrival in that one port alone was worth the price of the upgrade. Heck, it was worth the price of the entire cruise.

We also had a balcony on a Trans-Atlantic voyage and it was nice to sit on the balcony on sea days and just see the waves pass by, without having all the noise and crowds of the lido deck interfere with my relaxation.

We also enjoy taking our breakfast out on the balcony on port days. We sip our coffee and eat our cereal while watching the port come into view and it's a great start to the day.

We like to sleep in every morning so we prefer the inside cabins.

We cruise with friends who get seasick so they always take low in the center of the ship - they have problems when they get the balconies.

To me, $200.00 would go on things we want to do in ports because we can go on deck anywhere and enjoy that. The biggest expense to me is the excursions, and even though we never take ships excursions, we do what we want to do, it still gets expensive. So we'd rather spend the $200.00 on something else.

We have other friends who won't cruise without a balcony.

It is just what you like. Also depends on the cruise. There are some cruises like Alaska where it is a definite advantage to have a balcony because there is always gorgeous scenery.

For me, no question about it....for $200 I would take it. The balcony is great to have, it gives you more "living" space. Sit out on the balcony and have a couple of snacks and/or drinks before dinner, nothing like it. Sit out and watch the sea go by even if only for a little while. We had a balcony on the back of the ship on a cruise to Alaska. It was so peaceful going outside and watching the scenery, listening to the peace and quiet, seeing the waterfalls. I think we have had a balcony on every cruise. However, the miniature one on a Carnival cruise could hardly be called a balcony. If they are charging you $200 for a balcony that is about 2 feet deep and 6 feet long, where you can't even really sit in the chairs or your knees are out of the ship, forget it. Then save the money. But if the balcony is a real balcony, it makes the trip more enjoyable.

The only time we use our balcony is if we order room service breakfast. If you like to start your day in the quiet comfort of your own cabin, a balcony is a must. Besides the cost, another disadvantage is if your neighboring cabins choose to use their balconies to party late at night. This has happened to us at least twice and the noise carries into your cabin, even though your door is closed. I usually only book balconies if the price is close to an outside cabin.

We've cruised 6 times so far (NCL, Princess & Disney) and gone with and without a balcony. I would say it depends on four primary factors: the additional cost (usually the cost of a couple of shore excursions); the itinerary (is there anything special to see - like the glaciers in Alaska); how much time you will spend in your room (there's a lot to do on a ship, so you may not be there much); and, the weather (is it going to be too cool, or too hot, to be comfortable).

Hope that helps!

For $200 it's definately worth it. We've been on over 20 cruises in a balcony. The only real problem has been when someone near you is smoking, but it hasn't happened often. Coffee on the balcony in the morning or drinks in the afternoon are great. Depending on the cruise itinery, scenic cruising from the balcony is better than fighting the crowds on deck. Be prepared, once you start, you never want to go back.

A balcony's worth it:

If you're a romantic couple still in love,

If you want to have a private place for happy hour cocktails

If you want to spoil yourself and/or your honey with room service

If you want to read or listen to a book without distractions

If you want to tan as much of your body as possible without offending/scaring nearby passengers

If you don't want to shave, shower, do your hair or make up, or make clothing decisions before breakfast.

If you're a little claustrophobic

If you prefer tropical breezes to air conditioning

If you need a ventilated place to paint your nails or spray your hair

If you need a place to escape from your honey while she paints her nails or sprays her hair

If you like to wake up at 7:00 am in the morning and watch your ship dock while you're wearing only shorts or a robe

If you like to take an afternoon nap while being lulled by the sound of the waves against the ship

If you've worked hard for your money and feel "you're worth it"

The problem with OV is that on many ships, if the beds are together, you cannot get a direct view out because the beds are directly under the window. If all you're looking for is daylight, fine, but if you want to see out, check before you book to see where the beds are placed. We prefer a balcony mainly because the room seems so much larger with the curtains open - even if we seldom actually use the balcony. That said, once you try a balcony, it's hard to go back to OV or inside.....

Gotta have a balcony - my husband & I go up to the buffet and get our breakfast and bring it down to our balcony every morning. Then, in the evening when we return from our excursion, we go back to the buffet and get snacking food and head back for the balcony. It's soooo relaxing.:)

Is the balcony upgrade @ $200 per person or per cabin? Only you can decide if you would rather spend the money on something else.

Access to fresh air is a factor - something you won't get in an oceanview.

Lastly, you might like to dose day or night to the sound of the ocean with the balcony door open.

It really is a personal decision. Adored the balcony on a Nov western Med cruise but felt the balcony on a Jan eastern Med cruise was a waste of money because the weather was not very nice for sitting outside. Have found that often there are public places to sit both inside and outside that is very pleasant but it is hard to beat being able to go out on the balcony first thing to greet the day! Have fun!

I have had both oceanview and balcony's and it depends on the itinerary which I book. Lots of sea days? Book a balcony. Great weather - book a balcony. Mediterranean did Oceanview as the days are spent walking around on excursions. Hawaii - definitely a balcony. Next cruise is Australia/New Zealand, number of sea days and we will be going through the sounds - aft balcony this time so we can take in everything. If the weather is nice we can sleep on the balcony for an afternoon siesta, lol. Just depends on where the cruise is going and how much time is spent in the room. You have to try a balcony at least once so you can make the comparison. If this is an inexpensive balcony, go for it!!!

You've gotten some great advice from other posters. For me it would depend on the cruise location / itinerary. If Alaska, then I think a balcony is great for the days cruising at sea and watching the amazing landscape and looking for wildlife / sea life. If there are a lot of sea days, the balcony would be worth the extra. However, for a port-intensive cruise when I would be getting off the ship most days, I personally would pass on the extra cost of the balcony.

I haven't seen anyone mention DESTINATION - whether it's worth having a balcony depends a lot on the weather. Two of our cruises were in Oct/Nov, and though we had a great time, we had several days of rain and chilly weather. Just consider it before upgrading.

I have been on 8 cruises or crossings and almost always book an inside cabin. I am a single traveller and as it has been stated by several others, I only use the cabin for showering, sleeping, and dressing. They few times that I have had an outside cabin, it was because I couldn't get an inside, or someone else was paying. While the additional $200 for the balcony upgrade isn't much compared to the cost of the trip, that is an additional $200 I could use on my shipboard account.

SS Emerald Seas, 1976

SS Oceanic, 1990

Rhapsody of the Seas, 2001

Norwegian Star, 2002

Queen Elizabeth 2, 2003 (transatlantic)

Majesty of the Seas, 2007

Queen Elizabeth 2, Final Transatlantic Crossing, 2008

Queen Mary 2, 2010 (transatlantic)

Booked on:

Celebrity Solstice, Nov, 2011 (Mediterranean and transatlantic)

When I booked my first cruise, it was recommended that get a cabin in the center of the ship on the same deck as kitchen. (Kitchens are usually on the most stable decks. I have severe motion sickness and only used a patch for two days. I did not have any problems and now I use the sea bands and even in the roughest of waters, I have been okay anywhere on the ship. I always booked an OV cabin - would never consider inside cabin unless it was totally free; however, I have had a balcony on my last three cruises and loved it, especially during "sail-away time" leaving ports - no loud crowds. I would go back to OV but only in colder climates like the North Sea area.

Somewhat depends on where you are going. Definitely a balcony for Alaska and Bermuda, as you will enjoy the scenery while in your room as well as on deck. In Bermuda on NCL you are in port for several days, so book port side for water view and starboard for city view. We like port side balcony for other cruises if you enjoy watching the tie-up process, harbor captains hopping on and off the moving ship, etc.

I just booked my first cruise with NCL for this October. I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I should upgrade to a balconey room. Right now I'm in an ocean view room with a porthole window. I think having a balconey would great, but at the same time I dont think we'll be spending too much time in our room. What are your thoughts?

Take the upgrade. When you go to book again, the category of your last sailing helps the agent to book all the gap amenities that you should be awarded. You'll love a verandah!

Archived