To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.

We've had all different cabins, including inside cabin, porthole and big window and only once had a balcony as a result of a reasonably priced upgrade offer. We loved it - especially on the calm summer nights in Northern Europe/Russia. The days were so long, the water so calm that we could relax with the sliding door wide open and even left if open overnight a couple of times. Lots of fresh air! And it was great to have so much natural light coming in. We won't pay a lot of money for it though.

Our first cruise was in an inside cabin and second cruise we had a balcony. We found that when the ship was moving it was too windy to sit outside as there was always a breeze equal to the speed of the ship so we pretty much stayed inside. Might as well had an inside cabin (ok, there WAS the natural light benefit). Also, having an inside cabin encouraged us to spend our shipboard time in the observation lounge or taking part in ship activities. So, I guess for us, we didn't find the balcony cost effective.

After my first balcony room, I can't go back. I love the added view of the ocean on sailing days, and the privacy it affords is wonderful. However, you will find yourself less inclined to use all the wonderful public areas on the ship.

Normally I book an inside room (solo passenger)...only because all I am going to do is sleep and shower in the room. The last cruise there were 4 of us going. We got 2 balconies cheaper than what an inside room was going for......really that's the only way I would ever go with another balcony, but it would depend on the itinerary...Alaska would HAVE to be a balcony

Normally I book an inside room (solo passenger)...only because all I am going to do is sleep and shower in the room. The last cruise there were 4 of us going. We got 2 balconies cheaper than what an inside room was going for......really that's the only way I would ever go with another balcony, but it would depend on the itinerary...Alaska would HAVE to be a balcony

We have been on several cruises on several lines, and find if the price is reasonable the balcony is the only way to go.

When you return from a shore visit there is nothing like putting your feet up on a balcony and have that cup of tea in peace and quit of the balcony. Anywhere near the pool will have screeming kids, and not a chance to find an empty lounger.

I have been on many cruises, the question for you whether to upgrade or not is this, How much time will you be spending in your cabin? If you are going to spend a lot of time in your room, spend time on the balcony like mornings or evenings, then by all means upgrade. I don't spend any time in my cabin, except to sleep and change clothes, so for me, I always get an interior cabin and spend my time on deck, doing activities or on excursions. Hope this helps.

We will be leaving for our 6th cruise on 5/14/2011. On our first cruise we had an OV and thought it was great since this was all new to us but made the mistake of booking a balcony for our second. That's when we discovered how much we love cruising and it's been balconies ever since. There's nothing more enjoyable for my wife and I than to have a pot of coffee and some Danish brought to our stateroom and sit on the balcony and enjoy nature's views. We probably aren't your typical cruisers but we enjoy God's handiwork much more than the noise and glamour of the ship. To us, once you've seen one cruise ship, you've pretty much seen them all. I got an offer I couldn't refuse for this cruise so for our first time ever we will have a full suite. I hope this doesn't spoil us since I don't think I could afford to do this every cruise. Since this will be your first cruise, you will have so much to do and see that it might not matter but after this if you cruise again, try a balcony. I don't think you will regret it.

We have had both inside and balconies. We like to have the balcony's in warmer climates if possible. It usually comes to the best available midship and deck first and price, then cost difference between the two cabins. Port holes and windows are nice, if it were a freebie providing it in the right location. But we wouldn't stand at the window and look out and pay for it. Just don't see the point for us. Would rather be up deck. However, if the price going to a balcony or verandah is not too much, we do that. We're inside on our next cruise as the cost for a balcony was like a $2400 upgrade. Too much for a cold weather climate..

We cruise in a balcony cabin regardless of itinerary. In fact, our first balcony was on a late season PNW/Canada cruise. It was cool and somewhat windy while cruising, but so wonderful to be out there and to have the fresh air. We didn't mind that we needed to wear our jackets and have our coffee or hot cocoa in hand while cruising out of Vancouver, cruising around Vancouver Island and the inside passage, cruising into Victoria harbor. It was so peaceful and beautiful. And then to be able to come back from a shore day and relax out there was a real treat.

Since that first balcony, we've never gone back to an inside or oceanview. We kind of "ramped up" in our cabin choices: First two (one each before we met and then one after we married) were in inside cabins; third was in a small oceanview; fourth and beyond in balconies or mini-suites. Our style and choice is to cruise less often so we can enjoy it more. For those who don't care about cabin type or who would rather cruise more often in an inside cabin, more power to you. Isn't it nice that there are so many choices to suit different tastes?

the1andonlykira: It's hard to say whether it would be worth it to you. If it's $200 total, then I'd say go for it. But you mention that you doubt you'll be in the cabin much, so you may end up wishing you'd saved the $200 for other things. You might find yourself spending more time in your cabin, that is to say on the balcony, enjoying the fresh air, quiet, etc., whereas you wouldn't do that in an inside or oceanview.

Ask yourself what is most important to you. Go with your "gut instinct" and don't feel the need to overthink things. Often our first response/idea/choice is the best way to go.

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide.:)

beachchick

If you upgrade to a Balcony, you still will not spend so much time in your room, but on your balcony. When you want to get away from all the people and just have you own piece of the boat you can go to your balcony. Wake up have coffee and breakfast delivered and sit on your Balcony. And at night when in the middle of the Ocean, you can hear the water and not see it (awesome feeling). And look out and see all those stars from your balcony. And when you want to really just relax you can go to your balcony, where there is always a lounge chair. Try it at least, you will always have the memory. Have fun with what ever you choose. When I grow up someday I would like to stay in a Grand Suite. LOL

A balcony is really nice,,we have gone both ways,,but will not pay more than$500 for both to enjoy,,,it does give an extension of the room..Good Luck on your decision. We have sailed about 10/12 times and think is the olny way to go..Will head to Bermuda in 2 weeks out of Charleston,SC

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked my first cruise with NCL for this October. I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I should upgrade to a balconey room. Right now I'm in an ocean view room with a porthole window. I think having a balconey would great, but at the same time I dont think we'll be spending too much time in our room. What are your thoughts?

If you can afford a balcony take it. Some responders say they would not sit out there just to look at the water. Forget sitting out there.

You will be in a room with the largest window on the ship; ceiling to floor and the width of the room. At night when I go to bed I like to prop the door open to hear the waves crashing as If you were sleeping at the beach. When you get up in the morning first thing you see is the view because you need not close the drapes at night. No body can see you. When you are in port you get a great view of the whole area. You also get treated a little better in that room class. HAL provides things like Fresh fruit daily-Free, they don't let your

ice melt or run out of water' etc. You will agree, it enhances the trip.

This is really interesting to me because I had booked a porthole and have just upgraded to a balcany on the NCL Dawn. I wanted to have a balcany experience for my 20th anniversary and managed to talk my husband into it. We have sailed 7 times before, mostly in ocean view. Let me know if you upgrade and what you think.

Archived