Best side of ship through canal?

SoCal09

Any input as to which side of the ship is best for west to east canal passage for a balcony room? thanks very much any help....

Hi Doug

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. As the transit is 9-10 hours long you'll be up on the observation decks for a good while anyway, moving to the best viewing positions as you see fit.

It's a great day, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. All the best, Tony

History of the Canal Part 1 (Pacific Ocean- Culebra/Gaillard Cut)

and part 2 (Culebra/Gaillard Cut - the Atlantic Ocean/Caribbean Sea)

For viewing the transit, doesn't really matter which side.

For sitting on your balcony - YOU WANT THE PORT SIDE FOR A WEST COAST TO EAST COAST TRIP.

The sun and wind were too much for those on the starboard side.

Also, on the port side we could watch the pilot boats and tenders.

Read my review for more tips.

We went on princess :: pacific to atlantic

Mira Flores Lock :: I was in the front of the ship

Pedro Miguel Lock :: I was in the spa getting a massage

Then went to breakfast and sat on port side to watch view

Sat on starboard side and got a tan while watching the rainforest go by

Gatuan Lock 1 :: at my parents cabin, starboard side with balcony

Gatuan Lock 2 :: in my stateroom, no balcony ~

Gatuan Lock 3 :: promenade deck starboard (started at port and then ran to starboard)

This was so amazing I don't think it matters where you are.

Just know that you can go through either side of the lock especially in Gatuan. We were on the left side going towards the atlantic and all the "sights" were on the starboard side ~ there was even another ship going through towards the pacific!

Fabulous trip! Hope yours it too.:)

I'm on the Celebrity Millennium WB PC cruise right now (April 18 - May 3). I don't think there is a "better" side for the canal. We we went through the canal on Saturday. As luck would have it, our balcony was always on the side allowing us to see the other ships going through. I was happiest with that. But there is no way to figure that out ahead of time. Your cruise ship could end up in either lane.

By the way, it's a great experience. You'll have fun either side.

I'm on a cruise right now and will be home this weekend. I'll post some advantages to each side later when these internet rates are not at high sea prices. In short however you'll want to be where you can easily move about to take in the most interesting views.

I'm back, cruise over:(! There may be a preferred side of the ship for reasons such as sun exposure and such. As far as the Canal is concerned there is not a huge difference because as I mentioned earlier you will want to be in a position to take advantage of the moment. Essentially only the stern will give a look at both sides at the same time. Below is a brief description on some the major sites you can see during the transit. I wrote it in response to another thread and it is for a southbound transit which is Atlantic to Pacific. Just reverse the order and side of the ship to make it work for a northbound (Pacific-Atlantic).

You are right, there maybe a wee more to see on the port side in the direction you were going. At Gatun Locks, pretty much a wash, you can see what is left of the town of Gatun on the port side and have a good look at the earthen dam on the starboard side. Heading across the lake towards Gamboa, again a wash, the only thing of note here would be Barro Colorado Island where the Smithsonian has a research operation. The island is so large it probably looks like a piece of the mainland. When you get to Gamboa, there is (or can be) some interesting floating equipment moored, a couple of large floating cranes, etc. This is the home of the Canal’s dredging operations. Immediately after Gamboa, is an old vehicle and train bridge that crosses the Chagres River at the point where it enters Gatun Lake. This marks the entrance to Gaillard Cut, neither side of the ship has a leg up until you get south of the Centennial Bridge. On the port side you will be able to see the towns of Paraiso and Pedro Miguel as you are approaching Pedro Miguel Locks. From the starboard side you can see the excavation that has been started for the approach channel for the new set of locks. After leaving the one step locks of Pedro Miguel it is a short sail across Miraflores Lake to Miraflores Locks. Here on the port side you will be able to see Ciudad de Saber, (the old US Army’s Ft. Clayton) and then on to the port of Balboa. Just before sailing under the Bridge of the Americas you will be able to see two fairly large hills Sosa and Ancon. After sailing under the bridge and getting a view around Ancon Hill, you will be able to see the skyline of Panama City. Staying on the port side you will also be able to see the causeway that links the fortified islands with the mainland. This area is referred to as Ft. Amador.

PS Since I wrote this, there has been a lot of construction for the additional locks. This would be the most evident on the Pacific side between Miraflores Locks until you reach the Centennial Bridge. You would be able to see this on the port side.

Any input as to which side of the ship is best for west to east canal passage for a balcony room? thanks very much any help....

Doug,

The Canal runs from South (Pacific side) to North (Atlantic Side)

From Pacific to Atlantic you will have the morning sun (East) on the Starboard side and then in the evening you will have the shade. Vice Versa on port side. Probably doesn't make any difference. Cameras can be positiioned so that sun is not shining right into the lens.

There will be things on both sides so get a stern cabin.

I'm on the Celebrity Millennium WB PC cruise right now (April 18 - May 3). I don't think there is a "better" side for the canal. We we went through the canal on Saturday. As luck would have it, our balcony was always on the side allowing us to see the other ships going through. I was happiest with that. But there is no way to figure that out ahead of time. Your cruise ship could end up in either lane.

By the way, it's a great experience. You'll have fun either side.

Hi! I was on the Coral Princess and we passed your ship during our transit in the canal. It was so awesome to see another cruise ship! I hope you enjoyed your transit as much as we did! It was so incredible. I highly recommend the full transit.

To answer the OP's question.. we were on Coral Princess and had a starboard balcony. Like others have said it doesn't matter what side you're on because you are all over the ship for the transit. I did feel there was more to see on the port side because we passed through the canal on the right side of the locks (we did a Pacific to Atlantic transit) But the sun was starboard in the morning (when it was somewhat cooler) then shade in the afternoon. So I think starboard was better because it wasn't so hot in the afternoon.

Either side of ship it's a fantastic cruise. We enjoyed it so much. Our narrator was Dr. Tom Ryan and I can't say enough how phenomenal he was. I was glued to whatever he said! Enjoy your cruise!

If you are on the port side, you will see more ships passing in the opposite direction. We went up front for the Miraflores locks, back to the balcony for most of the transit, and back up front for Gatun locks. I really enjoyed Dr Ryan's narration, he did a good job of keeping us informed about everything we were seeing.

This is a great program on the Canal (both sides), PBS American Experience and it can be viewed online. Well worth it and easier than plowing and plodding through the McCullough book.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1747929120

The PBS page/program on the Canal is good. The more you understand the past [and current!] history of the Canal the better your experience will be! McCullough's book is the definitive book, but yes, it is long (600+ pages) and at times does require plodding which is why I wrote "Your Day In The Panama Canal" (Amazon) which is especially for cruise passengers and follows the route step by step with all the info, including stuff on shore excursions for those actually making a stop in Panama.

There's another popular video by David McCullough, something like, "The Man, The Plan, The Canal" that gets shown on many ships over and over and over. However, it was filmed on the ROYAL VIKING SUN! How many of today's cruisers even remember Royal Viking [however fondly!]? So it is dated.

You're spending a lot of money to see the Canal. It is a "bucket list" trip, so spend some time and study a bit before you go and you will enjoy it so much more! The side of the ship really doesn't make much difference because you want to move around, but what does make a difference is spending a little time in preparation for "Your Day In The Panama Canal"!

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm cruising with my sister, who has mobility issues. If we sit on the balcony for the whole transit, can we hear the narration?

Thanks

Sue

USUALLY the narration, at least on Holland America and Princess, is heard on the open decks and on the "front of the ship" channel. So if you are on your balcony tune into the front of the ship channel and you should hear it. Frankly the quality of the narration varies, which is why I wrote the book. The more you know in advance of your cruise, the more you will enjoy the experience. Regards, Richard

I'm cruising with my sister, who has mobility issues. If we sit on the balcony for the whole transit, can we hear the narration?

Thanks

Sue

Sue, It may be difficult to hear the commentary on your balcony. If you read the book "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCollough you will probably enjoy the transit as much as listening to the commentary. The commentary would probably tell you things like size of ships through the canal, that this is the only place where the captain gives up control of the ship to the harbor pilot or canal pilot. Looking back I see that others have given not only this recommendation but several very good others. Have a nice time. Have lunch brought to you on the balcony.

Doug,

The Canal runs from South (Pacific side) to North (Atlantic Side)

From Pacific to Atlantic you will have the morning sun (East) on the Starboard side and then in the evening you will have the shade. Vice Versa on port side. Probably doesn't make any difference. Cameras can be positiioned so that sun is not shining right into the lens.

There will be things on both sides so get a stern cabin.

Joe, we booked the Millennium for next May. Starboard was the only side available.

Archived