What to wear for Smart Casual night

donnasue21

What do most of the men wear for smart casual? Jacket or just a shirt and nice slacks? My DH has always worn a jacket but on the last cruise we seemed overdressed. It was an Hawaiian cruise and most everyone except for formal night wore tropical prints. This cruise will be a southern caribbean on RCCL Donna

It does seem as though the standards are a bit lower than they once were. We still like to dress nicely, I don't concern myself about what other people are wearing. I will have a good time with new friends no matter what is covering their bodies.

So, dress to please yourself and your husband.

For casual night my DH wears dockers with a button down or polo shirt. I wear summer style dresses or skirt sets.

For smart casual/semi formal my DH wears a pair of dress pants with a shirt and tie. I know the suggestion is a jacket but he came to notice that he felt out of place wearing it because more men went without. Now its one less thing to pack. I wear dresses that are just a notch below formal. They usually have some form of bead work or sparkle to them without being over the top.

Thanks for your replies. My DH also wore a jacket on smart casual nights and I wore a short black dress or something dressier but we found that most everyone around us including our tablemates wore much more casual stuff. Just trying to decide what to pack. I always wear a sundress or skirt for casual nights. I feel better in them. Donna

Smart Casual, at least on RCI is virtually dead. The dress suggestion on the Compass for Smart Casual night is Smart Casual OR attire matching the theme of the dining room (in our case, 50s, 60s, 70s). The reality is less than 5% of the men had jackets on. Smart Casual seems to be truly, finally and completely gone on RCI.

Yes I have noticed that and am wondering with wt restrictions with flying if its worth taking a jacket for hubby. He doesnt really like them but I usually insist. I think I will continue to take it and he can wear it without a tie. I think that is part of the fun of cruising and I hate to see it end. We have cruised on princess before also and I think people dress up a little more than RCCL. Donna

Smart Casual, at least on RCI is virtually dead. The dress suggestion on the Compass for Smart Casual night is Smart Casual OR attire matching the theme of the dining room (in our case, 50s, 60s, 70s). The reality is less than 5% of the men had jackets on. Smart Casual seems to be truly, finally and completely gone on RCI.

How do you know what the theme of the DR is?

Your paper that is in your room everyday telling the highlights of the next day will tell you whether its a formal or casual night and if there is a theme it will tell you what it is. I guess you would have to take clothes and be prepared for them if you wanted to dress for the theme of the night. We have never really done it. Donna

Your paper that is in your room everyday telling the highlights of the next day will tell you whether its a formal or casual night and if there is a theme it will tell you what it is. I guess you would have to take clothes and be prepared for them if you wanted to dress for the theme of the night. We have never really done it. Donna

To much packing and guessing for me. I will stay with the suggested arrire. Thanks for answering back though.

Archived