supergrannyfran

hi everyone, first time on, we are just about to book on the thompson celebration onb 6th june the holy land, anyone been on this ship, and/or on this trip, any advice would be very useful re- organised trips or make own way/cost ? have been on other thompson ships and found them very good value- what deck is best to book, hoping to hear from any one out there !!!:cool:

hi everyone, first time on, we are just about to book on the thompson celebration onb 6th june the holy land, anyone been on this ship, and/or on this trip, any advice would be very useful re- organised trips or make own way/cost ? have been on other thompson ships and found them very good value- what deck is best to book, hoping to hear from any one out there !!!:cool:

Our favourite ship but our least favourite cruise we've done.

Book ALL your trips with Thomson for Egypt and Israel, don't go off on your own it's not safe. It's a 12 hours plus round trip to The Pyrimids, Cairo Museum etc so a VERY long day - all trips take in the pyramids. Antalya and Larnaca are lovely and you can go off on your own. HAGGLE in Turkey and grab a bargain.

Depends what sort of cabin you want? We found inside great, they're really spacious on the Celebration. We've also had an outside cabin and that was lovely too think they were both on deck 3 midship. Take ear plugs with you whatever deck you decide on as there's a constant vibration on the ship (design fault with the ship) and the doors etc all vibrate. We found the further forward the better and lower down the ship less vibrations - had a nose in some of the suites on the higher decks and the vibrations were worse up there.

Haydrew

:)

Are you restricted to those dates? Have a check if the week after the itinery changes to the Greek Islands and Turkey, that is a great itinery and you don't really have to do any excursions through Thomsons except maybe the Acropolis in Athens which is worth it as it's an early departure time that day - or it was when we went.

You'll enjoy the ship whatever itinery you do but if you don't fancy long coach trips and not being able to go off and explore on your own for 3 days of your cruise I personally would say change the itinery if you can to a week or two later if it's the greek island cruise if you're not restricted with your dates.

Haydrew

thank you for all the information, we have booked celebration 6th june, do you mean after the day at sea we wont be able to go ashore if we dont go on the trips, ? and have you any info on what cabins are best i think we are on deck 3/4 inside, you have been a mind of information its great finding things out on here, as you may be aware, i am new to this site, although we have been on all other thomson ships except celebration , but have been on the sprit and been told they are very similar, once again many thanks x:)

Thomson advice you not to in Egypt, the ship when in port is protected by armed soldiers. We only got off the ship to go on the trip. We got off and had a walk around the duty free shop/s at the port in Israel but didn't venture outside. My Sister inlaw went in Feb and she said she went out on their own in Israel but came back quite quickly as they didn't feel safe. They went quad biking in the desert a few times but they went when there was all the problems in Egypt so their itinery changed but it looked brilliant so if you're adventurous I'd recommed that trip it's not a long trip either and they had a ball - look out for it if it's on your itinery.

Deck 3 of 4 will be fine, both inside and outside are good sized cabins, but do take your ear plugs. Oh and the towels are all greyish but they are clean lol

Definitely do your own thing in Larnaca (get an icecream in macdonnalds - cheaper than on the stalls) and Antalya unless you want to do one of the trips, we went to Perge and the waterfalls through Thomsons, stunning but not for someone not good on their feet, hubby was getting over a broken ankle and my Mom radiotherapy, they were done in by the time they got back up from the waterfall. Just get chatting with the other passenger on board and see if they've been before and what they recommend. We went off on our own in taxis in the caribbean with some other passengers and had a great time and saved loads of money not doin Thomson trips.

Tip when you do go off the ship take a packet of tissues for the loo and take plenty of water with you, I wouldn't risk buying it out. And take NOTHING off anyone in Egypt, NOTHING is free, just ignore them and keep walking, unless you want to buy, then haggle, half what they want then slowly work up, we got a king tut bust for £1, the seller offered my hubby 25,000 chickens for me, he said 25,000 camels and you're on pmsl

You'll have a great time and not long to go now :D

Haydrew

Thomson advice you not to in Egypt, the ship when in port is protected by armed soldiers. We only got off the ship to go on the trip.

Oh and the towels are all greyish but they are clean lol

Tip when you do go off the ship take a packet of tissues for the loo and take plenty of water with you, I wouldn't risk buying it out. And take NOTHING off anyone in Egypt, NOTHING is free, just ignore them and keep walking, unless you want to buy, then haggle, half what they want then slowly work up, we got a king tut bust for £1, the seller offered my hubby 25,000 chickens for me, he said 25,000 camels and you're on pmsl

You'll have a great time and not long to go now :D

Haydrew

Just to reinforce Haydrew's point about Egyptian excursions at present. All the coaches meeting the ship in the ports in Egypt last month were the Thomson organised excursions. There were no private local excursion companies taking anyone as you would normally see.

Don't be too worried though, once ashore at the excursion destinations the Egyptians have not changed since our last visit 2 years ago.

i forgot to mention the towels in my review. Lovely and fluffy, but the usual Thomson's "White with a hint of grey" Check your Dlulux colour chart down at B & Q :D

Berwyn

Archived