Wedding dress on a plane

I'm going to have to carry my dress onto the plane to get to FLL. Anyone ever have problems getting through the airport or getting the dress on the plane? Are flight attendants helpful in helping you find a good place to stow the dress during the flight? Any bad/good experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!!

I carried mine on a couple weeks ago. We left from Vancouver to Houston and Houston to FLL. It was a little annoying, and kind of heavy, but overall I was pleased with the experience. The flight attendants never gave me any problems although none of them were particularly attentive. There was no closet to hang it on one plane so it got stuck in the overheads. But my dress was lace over satin so any wrinkles were unnoticeable.

Security never gave us any issues in the airports.

I carried mine on a couple weeks ago. We left from Vancouver to Houston and Houston to FLL. It was a little annoying, and kind of heavy, but overall I was pleased with the experience. The flight attendants never gave me any problems although none of them were particularly attentive. There was no closet to hang it on one plane so it got stuck in the overheads. But my dress was lace over satin so any wrinkles were unnoticeable.

Security never gave us any issues in the airports.

Did you have to fold your garment bag in half to get it in the overhead bin? Did you have the whole bin to yourself or did someone else try to shove luggage in?

I'm going to have to carry my dress onto the plane to get to FLL. Anyone ever have problems getting through the airport or getting the dress on the plane? Are flight attendants helpful in helping you find a good place to stow the dress during the flight? Any bad/good experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!!

We are flying Delta from RI with 1 connection. We called Delta and they were very kind and congratulated us on our upcoming wedding. They told me that all I would have to do was give my gown to the flight attendant and they would be more than happy to hang it up for me in the closet on the plane.

On the other hand........... We were thinking about changing our flights to Southwest to save some money and when we spoke to Southwest THEY WERE NOT HELPFUL. They told me that I would have to check my gown just like I would luggage. I told them absolutely not! She told me my only other option was to carry it on the plane and place it in the overhead bin with everyone else's carry-on luggage. My dress will not fit in an overhead bin with everyone else's luggage especially if it is a full flight so....... Let's just say we are sticking with Delta.:)

I would call your airline an inform them that you are traveling with your gown. They will probably be very nice and tell you that you can hang it in the closet on the plane. Unless you are flying Southwest.:eek:

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and good luck!

great...i'm flying Southwest on Friday! oh well, i plan on rolling with the punches, if it gets wrinkled, it gets wrinkled. i'll let everyone know how it goes upon my return! wish me luck!

I wish you a safe trip and a beautiful wedding! Hopefully your flight won't be full and then maybe you could have the overhead bin to yourself or maybe they could lay it over an empty seat.

:)

great...i'm flying Southwest on Friday! oh well, i plan on rolling with the punches, if it gets wrinkled, it gets wrinkled. i'll let everyone know how it goes upon my return! wish me luck!

There are no closets on Southwest, so it will have to go in the overhead bin. You don't have to check it, but I have noted flights being very, very full, so odds are, it will get wrinkled. IME, and I fly a lot, people do shove things into the bin and don't much care about other people's belongings. You can always have it steamed/pressed at your destination.

We just waited until most people had finished putting their stuff in the overhead and then we found space on top of peoples bags. I just didn't look and let my fiance do it. I'm sure it got folded and wrinkled. But my wedding was the last day of the cruise, so it got to hang in the cabin for almost a week. I could've gotten it pressed by the cruise or steamed it with the irons they have available in the laundry rooms. But in the end it didn't need any of it, the hanging worked fine.

Keep in mind my dress wasn't big and puffy. And if your dress is big it will still get squished in the closets they have on the planes, cuz they aren't very big and your dress won't be the only thing in there. Just don't let it stress you out. This is just one of the joys of a destination wedding :rolleyes::):D

They put a big plastic bust in my garment bag so that the bust of my dress doesn't get crushed or lose it's shape. So the bag's not totally flat. We're flying American and I'm hoping that our plane has a closet but I won't know for sure. I also paid almost $40 extra pp to get in the first boarding group so that I would have a better chance of finding space for it. I hope it works. 40 days to go!

I am frequent flyer, so I can provde some general guidance.

Most airlines allow one carrry on bag and one personal item. The personal item is supposed to be a purse, laptop bag, or small bag that fits under the seat. That means your gown will be counted as your one carry on. Anything else you plan to bring with you needs to be in something small enough to fit under the seat.

These days, with very full flights and fees for any checked luggage, overhead bins can fill up quickly. On popular routes, I've seen dozens of people forced to check their carry on bags because bins were full before they boarded.

Be sure to call your airline to check their "rules", since some vary slightly.

Hi ladies!

I had to fly cross country, two legs- both delta. One leg they were helpful and let me hand my dress in the closet, and one they were not helpful at all (said hanging garment bags is illegal, even though i had already made the phone call ahead of time) so it rode in the overhead bins... i think its all a gamble. Just roll with it, right :) Other passengers were helpful, moving bags etc. I did not have a very large dress, it was pretty small.

i would reccommend having an appt at your destination for yoru dress to be pressed. The ride was pretty rough on my dress (we did have a long way to go), but even some little pleats came undone and had to be fixed, but the dress shop was amazing and did it while they pressed bc i had it pre scheduled!

Congrats!

It's nice that the customer service people at Delta were nice to you on the phone, but they aren't the flight attendants who will be dealing with your garment bag on the plane. I would agree with the other posters that you need to have a plan for pressing or steaming your gown once you get to your destination.

Hi ladies!

I had to fly cross country, two legs- both delta. One leg they were helpful and let me hand my dress in the closet, and one they were not helpful at all (said hanging garment bags is illegal, even though i had already made the phone call ahead of time) so it rode in the overhead bins... i think its all a gamble. Just roll with it, right :) Other passengers were helpful, moving bags etc. I did not have a very large dress, it was pretty small.

i would reccommend having an appt at your destination for yoru dress to be pressed. The ride was pretty rough on my dress (we did have a long way to go), but even some little pleats came undone and had to be fixed, but the dress shop was amazing and did it while they pressed bc i had it pre scheduled!

Congrats!

I have just moved to Sonora (Jamestown) since I met my fiance at the Sonora Blues Fest. Small world. The Dream is just down the street from my sisters house and Condo. We decided on the Legend but almost went with the Dream for our wedding in November. Glad you had a wonderful wedding. I will be taking my dress out in October since I have to be out in Georgia for a friends wedding. That way I know it will be out there and pressed for the wedding.

I just got back and transported my dress from Vancouver->Seattle->Orlando->Tampa and then all the way back.

The initial plan was to carry it in the dress bag and then have a small purse as a carry on. The next plan was to put it into a suit bag.

When I ended up doing since my dress was lace without a full skirt, was rolling it up with my Chinese silk wedding dress and packing it into a carry-on roller suitcase. We had already arranged to have both dresses pressed when we arrived in Tampa.

Now, on the way down we travelled on very full (to the max) flights on Continental - they kept requesting us to check our carry-on roller since it was the maximum size allowable, but each time I just mentioned it was my wedding dress in there and they were perfectly fine. We made sure we were a little pushy so we could be one of the first ones boarding so we weren't forced to check it.

It worked out fantastic. I didn't have to worry about carrying a garment bag above my head and all the stress on making sure it wasn't damaged in the overhead bins.

On the way back, we were able to pack the chinese dress in my checked baggage and the wedding dress fit into one side of my sister-in-laws roller carry-on suitcase. That worked out great!

On the other hand we had a bit of a debacle getting our original roller suitcase carry-on back since American Airlines is beyond rude - even though it fit in their sizing device they made us check it. They wouldn't even let us take anything out of the bag before checking it - and it contained our wedding photos!!

So be careful whatever you do and make sure it absolutely, when folded up or not fits into that sizing device - especially when flying American Airlines!!

Archived