Very limited caribbean in summer 2012

But probably not by the Europeans.;)

Okay, I understand that there are a lot of Europeans that like to travel just as much as Americans, but there seems to be an unbalance in distribution of the fleet.

But probably not by the Europeans.;)

Agreed, but I'll let the Europeans speak for themselves. My interest is as an American who would like to travel during family vacation periods.

Time for a reality check.

Out of RCI´s total double occupancy capacity almost 30% is sailing in the Caribbean during the summer of 2012 and about 15% are not even deployed yet, so the numbers might or might not increase.

Anyway almost 30% for one destination out maybe 5 or 6 main destinations for the summer month is hardly abandoning one area.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. But how's this for a counter-argument: the RCI website lists 28 destinations in the Caribbean, not counting ports of departure or the Bahamas. How many of those exciting destinations can we get to during the summer of 2012? Six (21%). Or how about this? RCI has 22 ships in their fleet. How many of them are serving the Caribbean in the summer of 2012? Four (18%), not counting any that haven't been deployed yet.

This might not be "abandoning one area," but it certainly does limit one's choices.

Okay, I understand that there are a lot of Europeans that like to travel just as much as Americans, but there seems to be an unbalance in distribution of the fleet.

While I´m not sure what an unbalance is for you, as I can´t really see it looking at the numbers, I don´t think there´s a point to it at all.

RCI is a business. Their cruise ship deployment is not like a democracy, balance and like some claim fairness are not part of the decision.

There´s just not enough ships in the fleet to please all people and offer an abundance of itineraries with ships different sizes.

If there were indeed that many people carving for those Caribbean itineraries (you can substitute this with West coast itineraries, Cruises out of Galveston, etc.) they would offer them. As a matter of fact over decades they swamped the cariibbean with their ships (not only RCI), up to the point where this destination had run it´s course. They had to spread out to other parts of the world and now they are kinda doing the same in Europe which has an exploding market for cruises right now.

I tell you it will change some time sooner or later again and there might be more ships in the caribbean again, but for now it´s what the market bears.

I for one have to fly to any of my cruises and it´s never cheap for me. Caribbean is definitely nothing I look forward to. Med. been there several times and certainly some spots still to visit, but there is soo much more out there I wish they will go to one day. I want to cruise South America, Antarctica, Australia & NZ (again).......

But that of course is just my personal preference, like you want the Caribbean.

Agreed, but I'll let the Europeans speak for themselves. My interest is as an American who would like to travel during family vacation periods.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. But how's this for a counter-argument: the RCI website lists 28 destinations in the Caribbean, not counting ports of departure or the Bahamas. How many of those exciting destinations can we get to during the summer of 2012? Six (21%). Or how about this? RCI has 22 ships in their fleet. How many of them are serving the Caribbean in the summer of 2012? Four (18%), not counting any that haven't been deployed yet.

This might not be "abandoning one area," but it certainly does limit one's choices.

Good numbers, thanks. With 22 ships and a world of destinations choices will always be limited. 18% for one destination out of about 5 major destinations they visit in the summer month of 2012 sounds about quite ok again to me.

Your interest as an American wanting all options during your family vacation time is understandable and you are all entitled to this interest and opinion.It just doesn´t matter much in a business decision.

Your interest as an American wanting all options during your family vacation time is understandable and you are all entitled to this interest and opinion.It just doesn´t matter much in a business decision.

You are absolutely right, in that RCI's ship deployments are a business decision -- and that's exactly how it should be, in a free-market, capitalistic marketplace. Moreover, you are also correct that my individual wants and desires will play virtually no bearing on how RCI chooses to operate. HOWEVER, if you add up my desires with the desires of all the other potential cruisers out there . . . well then, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

This comes back to a point I made earlier. It's certainly RCI's perogative to chase after whatever markets they wish to serve. But they are specifically positioning themselves as a family-oriented cruise line, and they're going to have a hard time attracting the American-families-with-school-aged-children market to the extent that they limit the number of sailings from U.S. home ports during school vacation periods.

Itis very hot in the Caribbean in the summer and it is also hurricane season- not a great time for a Caribbean cruise.

Not true. We have been on 14 cruises in the months of June - August. Yes, it is hot, but it is also hot at home and HUMID. The constant breeze on the ship and most all of the ports tend to offset the heat a bit and it is acutally more comfortable to us in the Caribbean in August than at home in NC.

As for hurricanes, we missed Grand Cayman once in mid June due to a early season storm. The Captain had us in sunny weather by noon and it was a nice sea day. That is the only port we missed in all 14 cruises. Actually, the hurricane threat is greater in September and October than in June - July. We were once on a western caribbean cruise in late August and there were 3 hurricanes out there. We had great weather and missed no ports. The ship has radar (and the weather channel ;)) and the captain will never sail into a hurricane. They will just adjust the itenerary if necessary. From our experience, the summer is an excellent time for cruising the Caribbean.

In case you haven't seen them already RCL opened up more Caribbean iteneraries for this summer just this afternoon.

Remember, the topic of this thread is NEXT summer, i.e. summer 2012. And the paucity of ships in the Caribbean at that time is what is causing the consternation amongst some of us.

Good time to try Carnival if the Caribbean is what you really must do.

Many like myself , enjoy both for their differences as well as their simularities. Vist it CCL Board .

No floating amusement park ships, but a great value especially when booking Early Saver rates .

I will wait on Royal European Cruises and Celebrity-less Cruises to tuck tail and run from the European arena. Evidently they were banking on a large percentage of Europeans filling all of those ships; and that hasn't happened.

They will have to re-woo the folks they abandoned when they made the boneheaded decision to shut down Caribbean sailings.

I will watch in amusement as they attempt to get their loyal American cruisers to return to the fold. When they come with their offers, they had better have something substantial to offer this old girl. Somehow $200.00 won't cut it....

Remember, the topic of this thread is NEXT summer, i.e. summer 2012. And the paucity of ships in the Caribbean at that time is what is causing the consternation amongst some of us.

Sorry that's what I meant Summer of 2012... my typo.

YAY! This is what I was trying to say! Thank you for actually being able to say it. I totally agree with you!

Cruise lines are going to position ships where their is significant demand. But just going a quick search I found 106 cruise departures (6-9 days) in July on RCCL, NCL, and Carnival with Carnival providing most of the ships vs 223 in Jan 2012 just for comparison. So it not like you don't have any choices in the summer months. RCCL will have Freedom, Allure, Oasis, and Serenade of Seas out of San Juan. Carnival or NCL might not your first choice, but it is still an option if you don't want to the same RCCL ship. I do believe that cruise lines over estimated demand to Europe this year given the high cost of airfares, Middle east unrest, European debt crises, poor exchange rates and higher gas prices. I think that next summer you might see cruise lines positioning more ships closer to home. Time will tell.

I know that many folks are disappointed about summer Caribbean sailings, but it's not much that much different for the winter.

I see that the Jewel is not doing the 10/11 night Ultimate Caribbean cruise next year.

Perhaps they are concerned about filling the Oasis/Allure?

While they may not currently have trouble filling berths on these ships at present, the newness of the experience is bound to fall off at some point.

Perhaps one of those ships might be repositioned in the future - if large enough ports can be found for them?

We're going on Celebrity next year because of the limited Caribbean itineraries RC is offering in the future. While it is essentially the same company (at least in the perspective of RCI), perhaps people tend to be brand-loyal due to their comfort level, expectation, on-board experience, and so on, and may not want to travel Celebrity.

But then Celebrity pulls completely out of the Caribbean for the summers, so for many, that is not a solution either.

I've heard that cruise lines are having problems filling ships in Europe due to the high cost of air fare and general unrest in the area. Perhaps that will result in better Caribbean itineraries? I dunno.

Random thoughts...

The unrest only is problematic for ships visiting North Africa. The bigger problem in Europe is not only the Airfare but the strength of the Euro at the moment.

Cheers

Howie

It's certainly RCI's perogative to chase after whatever markets they wish to serve. But they are specifically positioning themselves as a family-oriented cruise line, and they're going to have a hard time attracting the American-families-with-school-aged-children market to the extent that they limit the number of sailings from U.S. home ports during school vacation periods.

So maybe they're happy with attracting European-families-with-school-aged-children.:D

The unrest only is problematic for ships visiting North Africa. The bigger problem in Europe is not only the Airfare but the strength of the Euro at the moment.

Cheers

Howie

Or you can look at it another way - if you want to go to Europe a cruise is your biggest bang for the buck. Everything can be paid for in advance with U.S. dollars - the cruise as well as shore excursions if you want to take any. We are on the Brilliance this summer at a cost of $133 per person per day for a balcony guarantee. So that's my cabin, transportation from port city to port city, and food available 24/7. Plus everything else available on a cruise ship. That same $133 wouldn't even buy me a room in a 3 star hotel in Barcelona this summer because of the exchange rate. And, at one point, you could have gotten an inside cabin for $999 for the 12 day cruise.

So although Europe isn't for everybody, you still have to get there, it makes great sense for many of us. And the cruiselines know it.

I am also upset with this, so much that I am looking to Carnival to fill my needs where RCI is letting me down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Freedom class ships will be in the Med in summer 2012? What the...?

I can understand wanting to stay away as much as possible during hurricane season, but what about spring - early summer? This is the only time I can cruise, and I'm limited to Oasis class with RCI....

I am also upset with this, so much that I am looking to Carnival to fill my needs where RCI is letting me down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Freedom class ships will be in the Med in summer 2012? What the...?

I can understand wanting to stay away as much as possible during hurricane season, but what about spring - early summer? This is the only time I can cruise, and I'm limited to Oasis class with RCI....

FOS will be in the caribbean for summer 2012.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/cruiseCalendar/home.do?cruiseCalType=cruiseCalTypeShip&cruiseCalType=cruiseCalTypeDest&cruiseCalMonth=3&cruiseCalYear=2012&x=34&y=11

You're wrong! :p The Freedom is still sailing from Florida next summer.

Archived