? for those just off April 16 Marina Pearls of the Riviera

LadyCruisers

For those just off that cruise, where did O provide transfers to town and was there a charge? And did this all run smoothly? How was the tendering process where necessary? While I know the cabins won't be available until mid-afternoon, what time did they start boarding process for those in cabins other than concierge and above. I assume lunch was available in the lido upon boarding. We're on May 17 Insignia Pearls of the Riviera and very much looking forward to this itinerary. Any feedback from this trip will be appreciated. Thank you.

For those just off that cruise, where did O provide transfers to town and was there a charge? And did this all run smoothly? How was the tendering process where necessary? While I know the cabins won't be available until mid-afternoon, what time did they start boarding process for those in cabins other than concierge and above. I assume lunch was available in the lido upon boarding. We're on May 17 Insignia Pearls of the Riviera and very much looking forward to this itinerary. Any feedback from this trip will be appreciated. Thank you.

We were provided FREE shuttle rides into the town center in Valencia, Mallorca, Marseille,and Livorno. These ran very smoothly and quickly. There was also a free shuttle at Civitavecchia that takes you to the port entrance. (We did not take this, but it looked like it went smoothly.) Where we docked in Monte Carlo was within walking distance of everything.

We tendered in: St. Tropez (very smooth, quick operation, though very choppy waters); Portofino (very smooth operation and quick!); Amalfi (a bit tedious--tenders left only partially filled and there was quite a wait to get on, but there were swells that were tricky); and Sorrento (there was an hour wait to get on a tender...probably because they loaded groups first before any independent travelers could board. Pompeii was a popular tour, and there were many passengers who booked the ship's excursion. We did a private tour, and the tour operator told me he'd pick us up at the tender at 9 am. I guess he knew the process, because that's when we finally got to shore.)

We were in a PH1, and our room was ready at 1:00. I know others whose rooms were also ready then. They had a wonderful lunch at Terrace Cafe for anyone who boarded early.

This was a fabulous itinerary. Make sure you come prepared to have a great time! :)

Thanks for the information. I called O about shuttles for our upcoming 5/26 cruise and was told we would not have any since we are within walking distance, etc. Valencia is one of the ports. In valencia Was the shuttle provided by O or the port? Where did it leave you off? Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I called O about shuttles for our upcoming 5/26 cruise and was told we would not have any since we are within walking distance, etc.

Sometimes the res agents do not have clue what happens on the ship. ;)

It would be nice if Oceania would also provide the info in the cruise booklet that you receive before the cruise... surely they must have to book the buses before that time frame

Maybe in time they will get it together:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information. I called O about shuttles for our upcoming 5/26 cruise and was told we would not have any since we are within walking distance, etc. Valencia is one of the ports. In valencia Was the shuttle provided by O or the port? Where did it leave you off? Thanks.

Wow....I'm surprised you were given that answer. The port is not near the center of the city at all. Yes, O provided the FREE shuttles (there were plenty of them) to and from the city center. All the shuttles provided by O were FREE...comfortable buses...in ports that were away from the city center. It was very convenient (and unexpected, too).

Wow....I'm surprised you were given that answer. The port is not near the center of the city at all. Yes, O provided the FREE shuttles (there were plenty of them) to and from the city center. All the shuttles provided by O were FREE...comfortable buses...in ports that were away from the city center. It was very convenient (and unexpected, too).

Thank so much for the information. I have now called Oceania twice and received the same reply - no shuttles. I just want to make plans so I know how many euro I need for each port and where the nearest transportation is.

Thank so much for the information. I have now called Oceania twice and received the same reply - no shuttles.

I would be inclined to believe previous cruisers & have a back-up plan ;)

Lyn

Yes, we were docked in those ports.

Livorno had a shuttle to town as well.

Hi, Paul. :)

We're now home....sweet home.

We had just missed the shuttle in Livorno; that's how we happened onto the taxi we used for the day to Pisa and Florence. What a great find that was!

We had just missed the shuttle in Livorno; that's how we happened onto the taxi we used for the day to Pisa and Florence. What a great find that was!

Glad you made it home safely Suzan. Travel is wonderful but home sweet home is the best. :)

I always say - better lucky than good. Sounds like you got lucky in Livorno (and now you are probably sleepy near Seattle):D

Do you know if it is possible to reserve a taxi in advance? I hate to wait until we get there to make these arrangements. We just need transportation from Livorno to Florence and the return to Livorno, not Pisa this trip. Do you have any idea of the cost for such a trip?

Thanks/

Do you know if it is possible to reserve a taxi in advance? I hate to wait until we get there to make these arrangements. We just need transportation from Livorno to Florence and the return to Livorno, not Pisa this trip. Do you have any idea of the cost for such a trip?

Thanks/

Sister site CruiseCritic UK has this to say on the subject:

It takes about an hour and 15 minutes to drive into Florence from Livorno. Taxis typically line up outside the ship; we were quoted a one-way price of 160 euros (your best bet is to negotiate a round-trip fare so the driver will wait around for you). Taxi drivers will also -- happily -- offer day-long tours of Florence and/or Pisa; for six people the Florence/Pisa price was 350 euros. Note, however, that most speak minimal English. For more info, visit www.tuscanybytaxi.it.

Thanks/

We used a taxi which had this on its emblem:

Comune Di Livorno

Servizio Pubblico

Taxi #43

With that information, you may be able to find out about advanced reservations. Sorry, but I'm not sure.

It was 320 Euros for the six of us to have the taxi from the port to Pisa, then on to Florence, then back to the port. We had the taxi from around 8:45 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m. The driver, Marco, was fantastic...when he wasn't talking with both hands! Marco parked a very short distance from the Leaning Tower...and Accademia...and the Duomo.

I do know that many others on our cruise did have advance reservations with tour companies.

Does anyone know if the free shuttle in Livorno will take you to the Livorno train station? We are planning to take the train to Lucca from Livorno.

No - it takes you to the middle of town. I am not exactly sure how far the station is from there but there is a Tourist Info booth at the drop off point. There are public buses there - I am sure one of them would go to the station (or a taxi).

We were in Livorno during a Crystal cruise last year, and after taking the shuttle to the city center we walked to the train station.....if I remember correctly it was an easy 30 min walk +\-. We had friends who jumped on a local bus to the train station. Have a great time!

There were also free shuttles in Sorrento. We tried to find out in advance which ports would have shuttles and also if there would be an Easter Sunday service since we would be at sea until 1 p.m. Called both our TA and O. Neither could give us any info. There seems to be a rather wide disconnect between the O home office and what happens on the ship. But I agree. It seems that this information should be available to be printed in the cruise documents. We used the port shuttles and found them to be convenient and efficient. We were grateful for them, just not sure why they had to be a daily surprise.

• Administrators
There were also free shuttles in Sorrento.

I'm trying to clarify this; you tender into Sorrento according to the above posts and the shuttle leaves you, where? You pick up the shuttle from XXXXX and the free shuttle takes you....where? '

Laura

I'm trying to clarify this; you tender into Sorrento according to the above posts and the shuttle leaves you, where? You pick up the shuttle from XXXXX and the free shuttle takes you....where? '

Laura

The tenders dropped passengers from the ship at the Marina Piccola...from there, passengers could take the shuttle buses and be dropped off/picked up at a dedicated spot near the Piazza Tasso.

Kathleen

• Administrators

Thanks, Kathleen. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Appreciate it (as do others on our Enchanted Riverias ROLL CALL :)

Laura

Archived