Live from the Ocean Princess - April 29 to May 27, 2011

paul929207

Just a short word about Cochin. We thought it was a great little city and the experience of taking a boat over to the island was wonderful. Cochin has fishing boats with huge netting and also a wonderful church and synagogue, both built in the 1500's. There is also an extensive spice market and other stores you may not see anywhere else in the region. We will be going back to this port in the Fall, though may opt for the 4 day expensive excursion to Agra.

Hi Paul. Hi John. :)

We are taking the Rome to Singapore and staying on for Singapore to Sydney. I guess we have plenty of time to figure it out but both Princess and my travel agent say we don't need visas except for Sydney.

I would be really interested to hear of any private excursions you took, also what was entailed in the visit to Agra and how much was it? Princess seems to have no info right now.

Thanks,

Sue

The cruise we are taking and posting about does not go to Australia. For Singapore to Rome, US citizens need to get a visa for India in advance.

We are taking the Rome to Singapore and staying on for Singapore to Sydney. I guess we have plenty of time to figure it out but both Princess and my travel agent say we don't need visas except for Sydney.

I would be really interested to hear of any private excursions you took, also what was entailed in the visit to Agra and how much was it? Princess seems to have no info right now.

Thanks,

Sue

The buffet is currently in lockdown mode. All items being served by wait staff. There's an outbreak of some sort of intestinal virus (not NORO) affecting quite a few (not many) passengers. They're taking no chances.

We will be boarding in a few days time, is this outbreak over?

On another note, the ship has been offering the option to stay on until Dover for a (ridiculously) reduced price. Looks like the next leg isn't very well booked either. Post-cruise arrangements must be flexible to take advantage of this ... mine weren't that flexible; some are taking advantage of this offer.

Could I ask how the ship publicised this to passengers please?

Thanks,

Sue

We are also on the Rome to Singapore - you DO need a visa for India and that must be obtained on your own. Here's the info from the Personalizer- it is in the Important Notices section - you can look there for the more in depth info as CC won't allow me post that long an exerpt:

JORDAN : VISA ISSUED UPON SHIP'S ARRIVAL. FEE CHARGED

TO PASSENGER'S STATEROOM ACCOUNT.

INDIA : OBTAIN VISA PRIOR TO CRUISE FROM CONSULATE

OR PHONE VISA SERVICE AT 866-788-1100.

SINGAPORE : PASSPORT MUST BE VALID AT LEAST 6 MONTHS

spacer.gifspacer.gif

In re: the Australian Visa - this is easily obtained online on your own if you want to do it that way. Here's the site:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

I only heard of it from other passengers. I did not receive anything on it.

Thanks for that, precisely my previous experience, scuttlebut!

Maybe the thing to do is to speak to the Future Cruise person on board to find out how this is handled, and I will do so next cruise and post the results for all to read.

Enjoyed your blog, nice sailing with you again Paul + Jeannie. We are watching the sunset over Rome from the Villa Borghese as we wait for our overnight train home and the BWL sails on without us to Livorno - boo hoo.. Safe travels all, Alex and Lorraine

:cool:

Not really live any more, but I promised some information about the shore excursion to the Taj Mahal. This represents only what happened on the 2 day excursion from Cochin to Mumbai on the 4/29/2011 Ocean Princess sailing from Singapore; other sailings will probably differ.

I will break the three days into individual posts. This is long and (somewhat) detailed.

- This cruise was operating with 504 passengers and 383 crew members, plus the captain.

- A visa for India must be obtained prior to leaving home; it is not issued on board.

- Luggage is limited to an overnight/carry-on bag (can be checked on the flights).

- Passports were initially collected at embarkation time.

- India time zone is GMT +5:30 … an odd half hour time zone. Daylight savings time is not observed here.

- The Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays, influencing the scheduled itinerary.

- Cochin is also spelled Kochi locally. Mumbai was rarely called Bombay.

- (*opinion*) For this excursion, you probably don’t want to wear sandals, or any open-toed shoes. You also want as much rubber as possible beneath your feet. Say no to flip-flops and yes to sneakers or walking shoes.

- You will probably need a small amount of local currency (the Rupee). Exchange at the airport … it may not be available on the ship.

- There are many rather annoying hawkers at all of the sites mentioned. And, beware of pickpockets.

- It’s going to be HOT!

As a side note, this trip was quite taxing. Sleep time was limited. Something that I ate didn’t agree with me that night; it passed during the night and by the morning I was fine. But, over the course of the next few days, I came down with a cold. (Probably in/out of air conditioning and in/out of high heat, plus reduced immunity due to limited sleep.) So, beware!

Thursday – 5/5/2011 – Cochin to Delhi

• We met in the Cabaret Lounge at 9:00 AM. There were 119 passengers and 2 crew members (the video photographer and a front office representative). Also, there was a representative from TBi tours, the local agency responsible for the shore excursion. There were 5 buses; capacity per bus about 35 or so.

• Passports must be carried with you in India. You collect your passport here, as well as a landing card. A customs declaration must also be filled out and submitted.

- We left the ship at about 9:30 AM. We had a limited tour of Cochin.

- Our first stop was at the site of a fishing village, with a fish market and Chinese fishing nets. This was a very limited shopping opportunity. Not too interesting; but a good photo opportunity.

- The next stop was to be a photo stop at the St. Francis church. We were unable to reach the church due to locals digging a ditch in the road.

- We then proceeded to an airport hotel for a buffet lunch.

• After lunch, we proceeded to the airport. Men and women security checks are in separate areas. We were scheduled to fly to Delhi on Jet Lite Airways (a 737-800 aircraft with rather tight seating) at 2:40 PM. The inbound aircraft was about an hour late; we departed at about 3:30 PM. A snack was served on board. (Juice was complimentary, but soft drinks must be purchased.) There was an intermediate stop at Hyderabad. We arrived at Delhi at 7:15 PM. Note that there are no jetways at Cochin airport; boarding is via staircase.

- The airport code for Kochi is COK.

- The airport code for Delhi is DEL.

• Luggage was retrieved at the carousel. We then met our guide for the next 3 days. Upon leaving the terminal, the first thing that you notice is what you are breathing (or trying to breath); the air quality/pollution is that bad!

- Each bus will have a skillful driver (required for India’s driving habits), a knowledgeable guide, and a “water boy” (keeps the unemployment rate down, and is responsible for loading/unloading luggage and keeping the flock supplied with warm bottled water).

- A brief tour of Delhi followed. It was dark. We visited India Gate (lit), the diplomatic enclave (the embassies were all dark), and the Laxmi Narain Temple (well lit).

• We arrived at the hotel (Le Meridien) at 9:30 PM. Note that here (and the hotel in Agra) your luggage is x-rayed and you pass through a metal detector when entering the hotel. This hotel is somewhat high tech … it can take a while to figure out how to turn lights on and off!

- A buffet dinner was served in one of the banquet rooms upon arrival. This was downstairs (about 2 levels); no elevators or escalators available. Not very ADA compliant.

Friday – 5/6/2011 – Delhi to Agra

This morning’s wake-up call was for 6:00 AM. The hotel supplied the basic amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion), plus the unusual (men’s razor, toothbrush/toothpaste). A local (India) newspaper was delivered to the room; some said that the International Herald Tribune was in the room upon arrival (I didn’t notice this). A buffet breakfast was served (again downstairs) in one of the banquet rooms. Buses left the hotel at 7:15 AM.

• We visited Qutab Minar (Mosque and red sandstone victory tower) at 7:45 AM. Departed for Agra at 9:00 AM.

- Use the rest facilities here … it’s a long ride until the next opportunity.

• It’s about 140 miles to Agra; the trip will take about 6 hours.

- Crazy, insane traffic and driving habits

- Numerous toll booths and tax checkpoints … all sure to delay the journey

- Many interesting views of life in India en route

- This trip may take place on a luxury train. This option takes about 2 hours. The train does not operate on Fridays due to cleaning and maintenance requirements. Reportedly, the normal trains are not acceptable to tourists. If the train is operating, it departs Delhi a little after 6:00 AM and arrives in Agra a little after 8:00 AM.

• A stop is scheduled in Kosi at the Country Inn, which is about halfway between Delhi and Agra. Rest facilities are available here, as well as a snack (beverage, cookies, French fries!). We arrived here a little before noon, and departed about 12:45 PM.
  • Arrival in Agra was about 2:30 PM. Our first view of the Taj Mahal was at 2:50 PM.
  • We arrived at our hotel, the ITC Mughal, at a little after 3:00 PM. A buffet lunch was ready in one of the banquet rooms.

- A welcome drink of kiwi and cucumber juice was offered upon arrival. Cool, refreshing, and certainly green!

- Rooms are not available at this time.

• At 4:00 PM, we departed to tour the Agra Fort.
  • After the tour, an optional shopping stop was offered. I passed on this, and was back at the hotel around 6:00 PM. Hotel rooms available at this time.

- Again, some ADA issues, since rooms are either up or down several steps from the main level … and no elevators to be found

- The hotel supplied the basic amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion)

• A Kathak dance performance was scheduled at 7:15 PM, just before the buffet dinner.

- Okay for the first 5 minutes or so … then becomes monotonous

- Dinner at 8:05 PM

Saturday – 5/7/2011 – Agra to Mumbai

• The wake-up call was for 4:00 AM!

- Best to shower the night before, preferably before dinner

• A buffet breakfast was available in one of the banquet rooms.
  • Departure from the hotel was at 5:15 AM.

- Drive to the Taj Mahal coach parking site

- Transfer to electric buses

- Enter the Taj Mahal site at 5:45 AM

- Heavy security entering the site

- Watch for the Rhesus monkeys here

• A group photo is taken, then you are free to explore the site on your own

- Shoe coverings (provided) are required to enter the mausoleum.

- There are (optional) site photographers available. They can be pricey.

• The group re-convened at 7:30 AM, and left the site at 7:45 AM.

- Again, use the facilities … it’s a long ride until the next opportunity.

• On the road again by 8:00 AM. Somewhat less traffic due to the early hour.
  • Again we stop in Kosi at the Country Inn. Rest facilities available here. A boxed lunch is provided (beverage, meat pie, fruit, chips). We arrived here a little before 11:00 AM, and departed about 11:30 AM.
  • We arrived at the airport in Delhi at 1:20 PM.

- There was 1 line for check-in, with only 1 agent on duty.

- We were originally scheduled to fly to Mumbai on Air India at 5:00 PM. However, a pilot’s work action on Air India forced the cancellation of this flight. We were rescheduled onto Kingfisher Airlines, and split into 2 groups (flights at 4:00 PM and 4:55 PM).

- The airport code for Mumbai is BOM.

• The 4:00 PM flight operated with an A321 aircraft … seating was good.

- A sandwich and beverage were provided on board

- This flight arrived in Mumbai at 5:35 PM, 20 minutes early. The later flight was reportedly quite late.

• Luggage was retrieved at the carousel. We then met our guide for the next several hours.

- Once on the bus, passports were surrendered. Then, separately, our landing cards were surrendered. We then waited while the passports and landing cards were matched. A ridiculous process, which would have been quicker had we done this ourselves.

• A short tour of Mumbai was provided on the way back to the ship.

- What should have been a 1 hour tour turned into an almost 2½ journey due to traffic. It turned dark about halfway through.

• The first groups returned to the ship at about 8:25 PM, just after the start of 2nd sitting dinner.

- Room service was available, although busy since others probably had the same idea as I did.

- The Panorama was serving a buffet for dinner until 11:30 PM this evening to accommodate those returning late.

- Sabatini’s was also open this evening.

Thanks John. I just printed it all. We now have to decide whether or not to do it when we're on the Ocean in October. Last time in India (Pacific Princess; 2005) we opted not to do it. Mike is not as interested as I. We'll see.

Thanks John. I just printed it all. We now have to decide whether or not to do it when we're on the Ocean in October. Last time in India (Pacific Princess; 2005) we opted not to do it. Mike is not as interested as I. We'll see.

Pia,

A couple of comments on John's report.

First, the Taj is spectacular. I highly recommend going if you have not previously been there. We spent several days in Agra as part of a land tour of India in 2008, so we did not take the Princess excursion.

Second, the sea day between Cochin and Mumbai is when the excursion would normally have visited the Taj. Unfortunately, that was a Friday for our cruise and the Taj is closed on Fridays. This resulted in the 4am wakeup call on the last day of the excursion. It is my understanding that the scheduling is not as demanding when the Friday close is not in the middle of the excursion.

Pia,

A couple of comments on John's report.

First, the Taj is spectacular. I highly recommend going if you have not previously been there. We spent several days in Agra as part of a land tour of India in 2008, so we did not take the Princess excursion.

Second, the sea day between Cochin and Mumbai is when the excursion would normally have visited the Taj. Unfortunately, that was a Friday for our cruise and the Taj is closed on Fridays. This resulted in the 4am wakeup call on the last day of the excursion. It is my understanding that the scheduling is not as demanding when the Friday close is not in the middle of the excursion.

Looking at our itinerary, the Friday would be Mumbai. On this one, I believe that Princess is doing it from Dubai for 4 days and then rejoining the ship in Mumbai. Would hate to go all the way to the Taj and only spend 1 1/2 there.

• 2 months later...

A bit late but thank you John for the Taj Mahal information. Despite the long days I just don't think I could pass up an opportunity to visit this wonder of the world. I'd take an indoor cabin so I could go on this excursion.

Information on this cruise is so hard to come by so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Archived