Prepaid Cellphone's with Intl Service

Hello Everyone

I just found out that my service provider cricket doesnt have service outside of the U.S. I need to stay in contact with my teens while im away. Do you know which service provider has the cheapest phones, plans for intl service. Just need it for a 9 day cruise to talk to kids 2 min per day at least.. Thanks for your help...

If you have a phone (unlocked) that works overseas (GSM) or if you can borrow one - look into buying sim cards for the destinations you are visiting. There are also sim cards that work around the world. You need to check the rates per minute in each country.

Can you use the internet to keep in touch? Forget Skype on board too slow but OK in ports at internet cafes. I would not plan on voice contact on board the ship unless you don't mind the 'roaming' charges (I think about $2.50 per minute).

I think you can use any cell phone onboard, and you will be charged by RC, at a very high rate. If you want to bypass RC, rent a satelite phone. like http://www.satellitephonestore.com/satellite-phone-rental.php

Interesting deal... but also very expensive. For a 7 night cruise you'd probably have to rent it for 2 weeks, that comes out to $116.68 minimum (plus whatever it costs to ship it back in less than 3 days). Great if you're going on a mountain trip with no connectivity, not so great of an option for a cruiseship with phones on board.

Archived