2 way radios/ walkie talkies

Jem4life

We have walkie talkies for the four of us. Our girls will be l7 and 21 on our next cruise. I want it for security reasons. Especially the youngest one. Just remember to take lots of batteries. They use them quickly. They also helped when we were on land (not the U.S.).

By the way - to Mr. Amtrak - where did you take your Amtrak to? Amtrak is part of our cruise vacation this year.

Thank you Gingee for the information, I hope you and your family enjoy your up- coming cruise as much as we plan to!

:)

We have walkie talkies for the four of us. Our girls will be l7 and 21 on our next cruise. I want it for security reasons. Especially the youngest one. Just remember to take lots of batteries. They use them quickly. They also helped when we were on land (not the U.S.).

By the way - to Mr. Amtrak - where did you take your Amtrak to? Amtrak is part of our cruise vacation this year.

Mr. Amtrak? Gingee, I am guessing you are referring to me because I have some Amtrak pic's listed on signature? Again, just guessing.

If it is me that the question "where did you take your Amtrak to."? is for:

These pictures were taken on the Amtrak from near San Francisco up the west coast to Portland, Oregon then onto Chicago via The Empire Builder thru Glacier Nat'l Park. Also taken from California to Chicaho and return via The California Zephyr thru Donner Pass, Reno, St. Lake City, Denver and into Chicago.

• 2 months later...
Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about bringing them at all. I sure don't want to add to anyone's annoyance. My kids are old enough and should be responsible enough to know that when I tell them to meet us somewhere at a certain time, they'll be there. I have a feeling that since we are going over Spring break, there will be a lot of these radios being used and whoever said that they will be jam packed, you are probably right!

Okay... I changed my mind. They are staying home. :D

One less thing to pack... or should I say 2 less things...

Thanks for your input everyone!

Jean

Don't change your mind just because of a few Sour tempered cruisers. If they will give you peace of mind, take them. Those who criticize others prejudicially (is that a word) as being rude, are being rude themselves.:mad:

As I've stated in previous posts - I don't have a problem with people using walkie talkies and cell phones if they are being considerate of others. Unfortunately a LOT of people who use these things think of no one but themselves. I just think it's too bad to have a vacation, or a meal on land, or a movie in a theater, whatever the case may be, interrupted by someone who is so rudely talking loudly on their cell phone or w/t.

And a large part of my complaint about the walkie talkies are the "alert" sound that someone is trying to speak to you. They seem to have the volume cranked up so loud and it IS totally annoying!

Having said all that, I DO understand that there is a time and place, and sometimes a real necessity to be able to get in touch. But I think it would be good to have some manners with them. Younger kids don't always realize how their use of these might be a bit rude to others, but with some guidance they can learn how to be polite as well.

OK, I'm stepping down off the soap box....

Hikini:D

Questions to all you walkie talkie fans: How many children/spouses did you lose/misplace on a cruise ship before these things were available? How did you ever manage before cell phones and W/T's? You're in a confined space, it's not like you're going to be on one ship and your kids/spouse on another. About the only place I can see using them is on land when people can easily become separated. It's not like there's an infinite amount of places for people to go to on a ship. We had people at the table next to ours on our Summit cruise use them all the time during dinner. All we heard was people yelling into them making plans for the evening. These same ones were using them in the Celebrity Theater. Too often, people use them for silly reasons.

We took them on the Caribbean Princess in March of this year.....what a pain in the neck!!! There were 3 couples, each couple with a walkie talkie. We NEVER were able to reach one another!! We spoke with many other people who happened to have the same channel. Regardless of how many times we switched to another channel, someone else would answer. It actually became humorous!!!

Hello, good thread, lots of intersting comments. My 2 cents .....If you will enjoy your cruise more by taking the walike talkies , and be able to know where your children are and that they are safe. By all means take the walkie talkies, just use good judgement and instruct your family members to do the same. You want to enjoy your trip and so do the other passangers, so don't infringe on there vacation with lots of loud chit chat on the walkie talkies. People will appreciate your consideration. Have a great time.

Cori

Archived