CCL Panama Excursion

Hopefully Lost

My husband and I are traveling on Carnival this summer with a stop in Panama. We have been back and forth and back and forth over what to do in this port. We see pros and cons with so many of the excursions and nothing jumps out at us! We want to stick with a cruise line excursion since we have heard so many people saying their group got back late and the ship had to wait. We have discussed doing the fishing on Lake Gatun, but the only drawback is we are from FL and grew up on the 2nd largest freshwater lake in the U.S., so would it be a waste of time and money to do something we could easily do back home? We also discussed doing the Panama City tour, but it is such a long tour, with a lot of bus riding and no time for shopping. We thought about doing the Kayaking on the Panama Canal, but then read it isn't even the Panama Canal you are really kayaking in, and again... something we could do back home? Has anyone done an excursion in Panama that is "Can't Miss"??? Any feedback, good or bad, is greatly appreciated!

Don't overlook the star of this stop, the Panama Canal! This is the item that makes the stop in Colon a so different than all the other stops in the Caribbean and elsewhere for that matter. In my opinion the tour that offers a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut would be the tour take, assuming you have not been through the Canal before. Sure, it's a long day but most who take it are very positive about the experience. Another very popular tour is to the Embera village, take a look on forum and most comments have been very positive as well.

Even though I am not aware of any independent tour groups missing the ship at this stop, there may have been some close calls. I do share your preference in taking a ship sponsored tour in Colon. Most of the tours take you some distance from the port and if there were a traffic or mechanical problem you would have little recourse if the ship did not wait.

We took the bus-train tour and found the stop at the Mille Flores (sp?) locks fasciniating - could have spent an entire day there. You get to see the locks in action - there are stadium style seats and a narrator as ships and boats go through the locks. The train ride gives you an up personal view of the rain forrest. Plus the train is full of history. Since you go to Panama City, you also get to see the Bridge of the America's, another highlight. If this is your first time to the canal zone, I strongly recommend either the bus-train through the canal zone or maybe the boat ride through the canal (I've not taken the boat tour but heard it can be hot).

Thank you both for your input! We had mentioned doing the Canal excursion as well, but the reviews are so inconsistent. Half of the people that have done it loved it and the other half have a laundry list of complaints, but I guess that is the problem with any of these tours, you can never know how it is going to go on that particular day! I guess part of the problem is that we are both the most indecisive people you will ever meet! LOL! Thanks again, this information gives us more to consider!

• 4 weeks later...

We (2 adults, 2 teen boys) took the long, expensive Panama Canal excursion with CCL when we sailed there on the Freedom in March. We're not typically ship-tour people, but we had read about this excursion, knew we probably wouldn't get to the Canal again in a long time, and made the leap. We're glad we did. I don't know if you made your decision yet, but for what it's worth, I'll share my impressions (a little fuzzy from back in March....)

It starts as a cattle call. You have to wake early, grab breakfast and gather in the show lounge. But they loaded the buses quickly and efficiently, which pleased us.

We had one guide for the bus (a long ride), who told us a little bit about Panama, the free trade zone, the colorful homes and school buses, and other things about the culture. She also pointed out the buildings in Panama City that were homes and offices to administrators who built the Canal.

Our boat guide was terrific - he did a great job of explaining the history and geography and engineering behind the achievement, and the logistics of how the canal operates. He pointed out some of the places where they're now working to widen the canal. We got close to some pretty big cargo ships going through.

We were lucky to get on the ferry when it was about half full, and we found great seats in the very front of the boat, outdoors, under a little bit of shade (most of this section is open). The boat had three or four levels, and we were on the same level as the buffet, which was indoors, behind us.

In the relatively small ferry boat, you really have an up-close look at the sides of the Canal and can truly measure and feel how far up and down you're going. As we left the port, we saw the beautiful skyline of Panama City from the water and the guide shared interesting info on the costs, the logistics, everything related to the canal.

I was a little geeky about this trip. I had a map of the Canal, and I enjoyed following the journey. And I really enjoyed seeing how the gates opened and the waters came rushing in and the locks worked. On our deck, you could walk right up to the side of the Canal at certain points of the trip through the locks, and maybe this is a big no-no, but people photographed each other just-about-touching the canal walls. (If you go, I'd suggest you take the photos of your loved one posed with this background a few times over a span of time, to get a sense of how far the boat is lifted.) It got crowded near the wall at times, but everyone seemed to take a turn posing and then moving away.

Inside, the a/c worked well, and there was plentiful water and soda, and a buffet lunch with an egg and potato casserole-style omlette, ham and cheese sandwiches, pasta salad, fresh fruit, some sort of muffin and cookies. Not gourmet, but fine enough. The ferry boat was a little worn - you wouldn't want to spend more than these few hours on it - but the facilities were clean enough. The boat's crew worked hard to keep everything clean and orderly.

True to the warnings, we were an hour or two late getting back to the ship - but had no worries, as we were on a ship-sponsored excursion. When it was done, I was exhausted, but felt as if I had seen something special, something that was worth the time and money I spent on it. I had those two sea days afterwards to relaaax. Most of the people we spoke to liked the trip. I'm glad my kids got to see it too. But....

It was NOT a total pleasure cruise. If you're just not that interested in the Canal, or you're prone to getting cranky, or not up for a long journey, choose another excursion. My kids like history and technology, so they enjoyed it for the most part, but some of the kids and teens were bored. It takes something like 9 or 10 hours, and it got pretty hot, even in March.

When we researched the trip, I remember reading some complaints about intrusive ship sponsored photos, but all I heard were announcements - the photogs weren't working on our level. A friend of ours bought pictures and was very pleased.

While we like exploring ports on our own, Colon is NOT a place to wander. I'm glad I took this excursion so I could see something new.

Back on our ship, we met people who really, really enjoyed Carnival's day trip to Panama City, so that might be worth looking into if you're still on the fence. Sorry to ramble on, but I hope some of this is helpful. Whatever you do, have fun!

Don't overlook the star of this stop, the Panama Canal! This is the item that makes the stop in Colon a so different than all the other stops in the Caribbean and elsewhere for that matter. In my opinion the tour that offers a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut would be the tour take, assuming you have not been through the Canal before. Sure, it's a long day but most who take it are very positive about the experience. Another very popular tour is to the Embera village, take a look on forum and most comments have been very positive as well.

Even though I am not aware of any independent tour groups missing the ship at this stop, there may have been some close calls. I do share your preference in taking a ship sponsored tour in Colon. Most of the tours take you some distance from the port and if there were a traffic or mechanical problem you would have little recourse if the ship did not wait.

I agree with this tour.....the Canal and locks are amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking the Carnival Freedom, 2 adults 4 girls between 18-21. We really don't want to spend $$$ for the ship's excursions, when all we really want to do is see the Canal. Anyone have advice and/pr pricingn on getting a taxi/van to go there and back?

About the only place nearby that you would be able to see the Canal would be Gatun Locks. They have a viewing stand and normally someone to provide a narration of the operation. There are also some equipment displays as well. In the taxi department you are essentially looking at 6 adults, so unless you can find a van you will probably have to use 2 cabs as most of them are not large vehicles. As you might expect the price is negotiable, I have read on this board that you could expect to pay about $20 to $30 an hour per cab, a van maybe a little higher (don't have any direct knowledge). You may also be able to agree on a flat rate, just make sure you are all in agreement before heading out. Just going to Gatun Locks and watching the operations, I would allow about 3 hours.

We (2 adults, 2 teen boys) took the long, expensive Panama Canal excursion with CCL when we sailed there on the Freedom in March. We're not typically ship-tour people, but we had read about this excursion, knew we probably wouldn't get to the Canal again in a long time, and made the leap. We're glad we did. I don't know if you made your decision yet, but for what it's worth, I'll share my impressions (a little fuzzy from back in March....)

It starts as a cattle call. You have to wake early, grab breakfast and gather in the show lounge. But they loaded the buses quickly and efficiently, which pleased us.

We had one guide for the bus (a long ride), who told us a little bit about Panama, the free trade zone, the colorful homes and school buses, and other things about the culture. She also pointed out the buildings in Panama City that were homes and offices to administrators who built the Canal.

Our boat guide was terrific - he did a great job of explaining the history and geography and engineering behind the achievement, and the logistics of how the canal operates. He pointed out some of the places where they're now working to widen the canal. We got close to some pretty big cargo ships going through.

We were lucky to get on the ferry when it was about half full, and we found great seats in the very front of the boat, outdoors, under a little bit of shade (most of this section is open). The boat had three or four levels, and we were on the same level as the buffet, which was indoors, behind us.

In the relatively small ferry boat, you really have an up-close look at the sides of the Canal and can truly measure and feel how far up and down you're going. As we left the port, we saw the beautiful skyline of Panama City from the water and the guide shared interesting info on the costs, the logistics, everything related to the canal.

I was a little geeky about this trip. I had a map of the Canal, and I enjoyed following the journey. And I really enjoyed seeing how the gates opened and the waters came rushing in and the locks worked. On our deck, you could walk right up to the side of the Canal at certain points of the trip through the locks, and maybe this is a big no-no, but people photographed each other just-about-touching the canal walls. (If you go, I'd suggest you take the photos of your loved one posed with this background a few times over a span of time, to get a sense of how far the boat is lifted.) It got crowded near the wall at times, but everyone seemed to take a turn posing and then moving away.

Inside, the a/c worked well, and there was plentiful water and soda, and a buffet lunch with an egg and potato casserole-style omlette, ham and cheese sandwiches, pasta salad, fresh fruit, some sort of muffin and cookies. Not gourmet, but fine enough. The ferry boat was a little worn - you wouldn't want to spend more than these few hours on it - but the facilities were clean enough. The boat's crew worked hard to keep everything clean and orderly.

True to the warnings, we were an hour or two late getting back to the ship - but had no worries, as we were on a ship-sponsored excursion. When it was done, I was exhausted, but felt as if I had seen something special, something that was worth the time and money I spent on it. I had those two sea days afterwards to relaaax. Most of the people we spoke to liked the trip. I'm glad my kids got to see it too. But....

It was NOT a total pleasure cruise. If you're just not that interested in the Canal, or you're prone to getting cranky, or not up for a long journey, choose another excursion. My kids like history and technology, so they enjoyed it for the most part, but some of the kids and teens were bored. It takes something like 9 or 10 hours, and it got pretty hot, even in March.

When we researched the trip, I remember reading some complaints about intrusive ship sponsored photos, but all I heard were announcements - the photogs weren't working on our level. A friend of ours bought pictures and was very pleased.

While we like exploring ports on our own, Colon is NOT a place to wander. I'm glad I took this excursion so I could see something new.

Back on our ship, we met people who really, really enjoyed Carnival's day trip to Panama City, so that might be worth looking into if you're still on the fence. Sorry to ramble on, but I hope some of this is helpful. Whatever you do, have fun!

I will second this review of the excursion. My husband and I took the all-day excursion a yr ago from our Celebrity Equinox cruise and we were not sorry we did. Yes, it was our most expensive excursion, but we felt it was well worth it. We both have always wanted to see the canal, and with my husband being an engineer, felt that we might as well do the full-day excursion. He was thrilled.

Archived