A year in advance for S America?

travelingmcmahans

Husband and I are just beginning to think about next year. We haven't even gone on our 2005 trip yet (flying to Eastern Europe, training and driving around) and I'm already daydreaming of a trip around the horn. :)

From what I'veread on here it looks like people book waaay out, and the cheapest cabins on HAL for March are already gone. Will the prices go up and the choices disapear a lot in the next 2-3 months? I can't exactly go ask for my 06 vacation at work before I've even taken my 05! Not to mention coming up with the deposit while we're still saving for Europe this spring. But I don't want to totally miss out on a trip like HAL's 16 day around the horn.

I started looking at our upcoming SA cruise in February 2004 for a November 2005 cruise. I booked it by April. I am looking at Australia for Xmas 2006 and the cheapest categories are sold out already. It is amazing.

jc

I booked for the NCL Crown Valpo to B.A. December 2004 in February 2004, the least expensive cabins were gone and rumor had it that the rest of the ship sold out by May. But, there were folks with excellent TA's who got onto waiting lists and were booked as late as a month before the trip - but of course the airfare had quadrupled in the meantime.

In my very limited experience, the best time to go is December/January - we had fantastic weather and smooth sailing. I booked my next southern voyage in Feb. and am keeping fingers crossed that I can get the vacation time later in the year - I feel very odd requesting holiday time only a few weeks after the last trip.

I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you are and the wonderfulness of your TA.

Have a lovely, lovely time!

lisa

We booked our cruise on the NCL Crown a year and a half in advance - got a great outside room at a very reasonable price - I kept checking back and the room selection kept getting worse and the price kept going up - the sooner you can book the better room and better price you will get - We did meet some people that had booked within the final month at a good price for cabins that never received final payment and were cancelled - but the airfare can be ridiculous when you get this close. I know about the requesting vacation time this far in advance - we had our fingers crossed that we could pull it off - Jan and Feb are usually slow months for vacation demands - March is Spring Break time and much harder to get - Good Luck !!

We booked our cruise to S.A. in July last year 18 months before we sail and since then the ship has sold out. We don't leave until January, 2006. Booking so early has made it much easier for planning and getting F.F. tickets.

We also booked the Maasdam for our Transatlantic in October last year for July this year and that cruise has been booked out since January. The good itineraries go very quickly and the prices do not come down as the cabins are all sold.

Jennie

The QUEEN MARY 2 makes her first trip 'round the Horn next January. Many of her room categories for her maiden trip to the Pacific are sold out. For people strapped for time the QM2 makes the voyage from Rio to Valparaiso in 12 nights.

Is airfare, in genreral, comparable to flying to Europe? (We usually fly out of Cincinnati OH). I know that varies widely, in the travel season, from 500ish to 900ish. We're cashing in miles to fly to Budapest next month, and I doubt we'll have enough for S America in time so we'l have to buy the tickets. :(

We returned recently from the Feb. 13 Infinity SA cruise and yes we did book very early(About a year). However we did not book our airfare at the same time but actually waited some time. It is a tough one because of flying in and out of 2 different places. Still we saved around $400 per person from buying directly from the cruiseline. That being said we flew in 2 days early so we had the hotel expense.By the way if you get to Buenos Aires and want a private tour be sure to use Carlos. Our tour with his organization was just perfect!

Val and Ernie

Today I booked a South America cruise for March '06 on the Infinity, and had some difficulty finding a room that I wanted, as it seems the ship is almost sold out already. I'm wondering how many of these "bookings" are legit, and how many are people or agencies trying to reserve space. Either way, I don't mind since I'm booked on it!!! I've never been to South America and am really looking forward to going....but waiting a year from now is the downside !!!! :D

Oh, and any info about the ship would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the website and brochures, but "first-hand" critiques are always the best...thanks!

DallasSteve

It's different this time.

Last month we left on a two week notice. Once we got an air fare to Paris at $240 RT from Washington, D. C. on a Monday and left Wednesday.

However, we booked the Infinity Valpo to B.A. for Jan 8, 2006 because I couldn't beat the screaming deal for a CC Balcony that's available right now. Air was about $1100.00 including transfers which are very useful.

Yep I might save a little later, but even another sailing a few weeks later was much more. And I have discovered I want the balcony. In an Oceanview it felt like a hotel, the room was just a room. I hang out on the balcony...On the Zuiderdam, I actually slept out there, the stars, the balmy breezes etc.

I am sure some "sold" units are locked by agencies right now and perhaps some large groups. It would be unlikely that you couldn't get on the ship.

Question, how much control do you want for location and amenities?

So, if you want to go...do it. Final pymt isn't due til Oct 30. How good is that?

It's nice to have the time to plan really big time and just get acquainted with other CC's who are going and get all the CC hints on what is important.

Blessings,

P.S. Does anyone know how to insert more than one icon?

Glad to see that you are joining us and many others on the Infinity, March of '06. Be sure to check out the roll calls on Celebrity as both cruises are already set up there. Which cruise are you on? March 5 or March 19?

Many of us on those cruises have been booked since August of 2004 so it's not surprising that the cabins are filling up at this point. It has been a long wait. My wife and I are doing a back to back on the Infinity as my wife, like you, has been dreaming of a trip to South America for a very long time.

Welcome aboard.

Ivteks,

Our ships are going to pass each other somewhere down south. We leave Rio on January 8th for Valpariso taking 21 days going via Antarctica and the Falklands. It is certainly going to be a wonderful experience.

Jennie

Hi Aztex....

I've booked on the March 19 cruise..... have booked a concierge class cabin.... a friend will be joining me on the cruise .... it looks like an amazing life-time experience..... getting to do basically two "wish" cruises at the same time: South America AND the Panama Canal .... can't beat that!!!

DallasSteve

• 2 weeks later...

Dear DallasSteve

We did that crusie in reverse in Jan of this year on the Infinity. Being a B2B'er is wonderful - having 28 days to enjoy & be spoiled is fabulous!

The wait staff and our room stewards really got to know us well. It is so nice to go off exploring in Valparaiso and know that you are going home to your stateroom at the end of the day.

Check out my review on this board - Jan 3 - 31 cruise of SA.

You are going to visit some wonderful places and private tours can definitely help you make the most of your time there.

We booked the ship early (March 04 for a Jan 05 cruise) as we got a great

deal that way. By June the ship was showing sold out. However after final payment day cabins did become available. However they were double - triple what we paid. I know as 1 of our group booked at the last minute after he changed his mind about going with us.

Airfare is not that hard to get - but you will save money buying a round trip ticket and throwing half away. If you do that you can get to Buneos Aires for under $1000. in economy. However if you want Business Class you are looking at around about $2000 one way. By the way avoid flying Varig Airlines if you can.

If you have any questions you want answered e-mail me at ann @ century 21 vancouver . com

Enjoy your cruise.

Princess had a good deal for Regal Princess between Valparaiso and Buenos Aires for the Feb 24-March 9, 2006 sailing. The fare started at about $1,200. per person for an inside and the best part was the deposit was only $100. per person.

We booked our Feb this year cruise on Oceania over a year in advance to make sure we got our cabin..

it was a fabulous cruise.. great weather...great ship.. great friends on board.. shopping incredible..due to our dollar. Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are traveling with familiy and friends and booked our balcony cabins on the Rotterdam last month. Cabin selection was becoming limited, but still available in most categories. We are flying on Continental from Houston-Rio, and on Delta from Santiago-Houston (via Atlanta) on the return. We called CO the day reservations were opened for next year (330 days in advance), and were able to obtain confirmed, OnePass Business First seats on all flights. Our friends (with insufficient FF points) are booked in economy on the same flights as us, and paid $1059.00/each for the round-trip flights (booked through Continental's website).

Since 2006 Carnival in Rio is Feb. 25-March 1, 2006, we wanted to make sure that we had hotel accommodations in Rio before the cruise. We are going to catch the tail end of Carnival, and enjoy several days in Rio before sailing. Cashed in Marriott FF points and staying at the J.W. Marriott across from Copacabana beach.

I don't think we would have gotten the balcony rooms on the ship, air or hotel if we didn't commit nearly a year in advance.

Archived