Tipping on Royal Caribbean Ships

I have just booked a cruise on the Radiance and I'm trying to work out how many US dollars I should buy before departure.

In particular, I'm trying to work out how much I need to set aside for tipping (as my cabin mate chose not to pre-pay our tips). Can anyone let me know what the current rate is for tipping onboard, preferably in USD?

I cruised with them 2 years ago, but the rate has probably changed since then. The "General Information" sheet they send you when you book states A$15 per day, but I have no idea how old that data is - it could well be based on an exchange rate of 80-90c, when the current rate is $1.08.

I'd also love to know what the current cost of the soda card is, per day, in USD if anyone knows that as well. From memory it was about US$7 per day last time.

I have just booked a cruise on the Radiance and I'm trying to work out how many US dollars I should buy before departure.

In particular, I'm trying to work out how much I need to set aside for tipping (as my cabin mate chose not to pre-pay our tips). Can anyone let me know what the current rate is for tipping onboard, preferably in USD?

I cruised with them 2 years ago, but the rate has probably changed since then. The "General Information" sheet they send you when you book states A$15 per day, but I have no idea how old that data is - it could well be based on an exchange rate of 80-90c, when the current rate is $1.08.

I'd also love to know what the current cost of the soda card is, per day, in USD if anyone knows that as well. From memory it was about US$7 per day last time.

The information on gratuities is available on the Royal Caribbean Web Site which I added below.

Also, when you are on board the ship you can have them added to your shipboard account. It is more optimal to charge them to your credit card then to convert money to cash.

I would post your question about the soda card on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Critic Cruise Line Board.

Keith

On new or existing bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011 the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Thanks for that Keith. We're sailing in December, in a regular cabin, so the total comes to US$11.65 per day. I wonder how long it is since they updated their "RCCL General Information" sheet, given that it quotes a figure of $15 per day? By my calculation that's an exchange rate of 77-78c to the dollar, when it's currently around 108-110c.

I had a look on the RCI Board and there were numerous threads regarding soda card prices, generally quoting $6 or $7 per day (+15% gratuity). My best guess is that it's $6 +15% = $6.90 per day.

At this stage, my plan is to have them charge the gratuities to my shipboard account, which I will pay in cash (US dollars purchased before boarding).

Once again, thanks for your help.

Archived