Regatta entertainment

beaner1985

Hi all. I was recently on the Regatta April 12th sailing from Miami and was wondering what other recent Oceania passengers think of the changes made in the entertainment. I was not too impressed but feel they are at least making an effort. What are your thoughts?

There are a couple of threads on the entertainment use the Search feature from the main Oceania page

I did not think much of the new acts on the Marina JMO

Others thought it was fine

I haven't been on O since last June, and am looking forward to my Alaska cruise in Aug. Can you please specify what the changes in entertainment are.

Last summer we had a singer, a magician, a juggler, a comedian, etc. and each was anywhere from o.k. good to fair to poor. Considering that O does not seek out children passengers, I was surprised to find a juggler and a magician as part of the entertainment. I thought O could have made better choices.

I haven't been on O since last June, and am looking forward to my Alaska cruise in Aug. Can you please specify what the changes in entertainment are.

Last summer we had a singer, a magician, a juggler, a comedian, etc. and each was anywhere from o.k. good to fair to poor. Considering that O does not seek out children passengers, I was surprised to find a juggler and a magician as part of the entertainment. I thought O could have made better choices.

You get the same variety but a new company that books the acts.

Some of the entertainers were worse than before in my opinion

Oceania is not known for their entertainment or excursions but when you are paying that kind of $$ you do expect a bit more than Rory & Murphy the wonder dog :eek:

You are kidding about the dog right? :D

After our previous 2 O cruises we did not attend ANY on our 3rd cruise and never missed it although my bill at the end of the cruise was much greater as a result of the additional time we spent in Martinis.

Oceania is not known for their entertainment or excursions but when you are paying that kind of $$ you do expect a bit more than Rory & Murphy the wonder dog :eek:

Playing devil's advocate again ...

I'm not a big fan of magician acts, far from it! But I've seen a couple -- one on Oceania as I recall, the other on QE2 -- that were really great. It wasn't so much the tricks as the presentation.

But it really doesn't matter which ship you are talking about! Oceania does NOT shine in the entertainment area.

Last summer's cruise on Insignia had some superior entertainment (in our eyes) compared to what we've seen before, but they were using largely Polish performers who were pretty much excellent in their various areas.

Where are they going to get the acts for Alaska? I really wouldn't count on much! Of course, if the entertainers are based in Seattle or Vancouver, they should be superior to those based in Seward and Ketchikan ... but I hate to make those kinds of judgments without knowing anything about them!

I figure we'll try a show or two, and then decide whether to bother or not. We're usually out of dinner so late that we miss the shows anyway.

By the way, Alaska travelers, I just got a brochure from Ketchikan talking about August activities. Apparently there is a lot there in terms of art -- including native art. In August they have a blueberry festival (not sure if thha means celebrating the fruit or a venue named blueberry!) and also something called the Gigglefest Dance Festival. Plus a youth production of Fiddler (entitled Fiddler on the Roof Jr.).

Mura

While this was our 1st Oceania cruise, we thought over all they were good. They now have a 4 person singer/dance combo that puts on various shows during the cruise such as Caliente(latin music) to musicals and broadway songs. They were excellent performers. The other nights were either a singer(one was the original Love Boat singer-excellent)(some good and others so so ,a banjo player(great musician but I guess I don't care for the sound of the banjo), magic acts(2), movie night (2)(I thought this was sinking low). We didn't expect much but came away feeling that over all the shows were decent.

We thought the lecturers were good but why they did not have someone lecture on the flora and fauna of the Amazon(our cruise destination) was a mystery.

Archived