Take your pet cruising on Carnival with you !!

The new service animal access law is designed to prevent the abuse of service animal access rights. And it's important to know that any animal (including a legitimate service animal) may be excluded if:

1. The animal is out of control and the animal´s handler does not take effective action to control it

2. The animal is not housebroken

3. The animal is not harnessed, tethered or leashed (with some exceptions if the animal cannot do its job while leashed)

However, hotels, airlines, cruise lines, and other places of public accommodation cannot "crack down" or require any documentation for a service animal. As I pointed out in a prior post, legally, they can ask only two questions:

1. Is the animal is required because of a disability?

2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform that mitigates that disability?

Requiring answers to any other questions or requiring documentation (which as you point out is easily faked) is illegal under federal law.

I'm sure you'll agree that making it more difficult for legitimate service animal handlers isn't an appropriate way to prevent the abusers.

You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to ask you. The cruise lines can't "crack down" on all this, BUT, the countries that they visit have other legal requirements If the animal isn't cleared for, let's say Mexico, (even if the animal doesn't debark - LOL) does that mean that the animal is denied from the get go?

It was pointed out earlier that if they have been to Mexico, whether they left the ship or not, they could not visit Grand Cayman.

the dog did nothing before the guy had a seizure no barking no chasing his tail he may have farted or something

How could you possibly know what type of 'signal' the dog was trained to perform? How? Unless you were familiar with this person and his dog, you have no clue. I'm betting it's as subtle as it needs to be. And maybe, just maybe....the warning the owner recieved provided him the time needed to put himself into a safer situation before the seizure began.

You have no idea, claiming to know is just ignorance.

You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to ask you. The cruise lines can't "crack down" on all this, BUT, the countries that they visit have other legal requirements If the animal isn't cleared for, let's say Mexico, (even if the animal doesn't debark - LOL) does that mean that the animal is denied from the get go?

It was pointed out earlier that if they have been to Mexico, whether they left the ship or not, they could not go to Grand Cayman.

I'm actually not very familiar with other countries access regulations as my attorney's practice is US-based. But if you're interested check the service animal thread over on the disabled cruiser board--Roz and other posters are very knowledgable, having taken their dogs on many cruises and land-based vacations in other countries.

But no, if a certain country doesn't allow the dog, it doesn't mean they're not allowed to board the ship. They're just not allowed to leave the ship in that country (and in one country, which I'm not recalling right now, they aren't even allowed on the open decks while docked).

Believe me, if anyone spent even a few minutes on the service dog thread, they'd begin to understand what a hassle it is to bring an animal on a ship and into 3-4 different countries (all of which have different regulations). I can't imagine anyone going through all that trouble unless the animal was truly essential to his or her life.

I'm actually not very familiar with other countries access regulations as my attorney's practice is US-based. But if you're interested check the service animal thread over on the disabled cruiser board--Roz and other posters are very knowledgable, having taken their dogs on many cruises and land-based vacations in other countries.

But no, if a certain country doesn't allow the dog, it doesn't mean they're not allowed to board the ship. They're just not allowed to leave the ship in that country (and in one country, which I'm not recalling right now, they aren't even allowed on the open decks while docked).

Believe me, if anyone spent even a few minutes on the service dog thread, they'd begin to understand what a hassle it is to bring an animal on a ship and into 3-4 different countries (all of which have different regulations). I can't imagine anyone going through all that trouble unless the animal was truly essential to his or her life.

I've read Roz's thread (although not recently) and it is a true eye-opener. I have no dog in this fight (pun intended, or not, I don't know) as I don't know anyone who has one... but I have worked with the LIONS CLUB, helped in raising funds for the Helen Keller Foundation (here in my home state). My hat is off to Roz and ValentinesMom for paving a good path.

I have to just pop in on this one.......I find people are animal lovers or not & I always find pet owners are nicer people!!! On the other hand.....i could start a thread about people letting their kids run wild......My hubby & I have many meals ruin by parents letting the kids do their own thing!!!! ;)

I'm surprised that no one has even mentioned those sensitive to cologne and perfume. Certain brands of perfume will instantly trigger a migraine for me. This is such a huge risk on a cruise, at the mall, grocery shopping, at the bank, at work ~ everywhere ~ that I travel everywhere prepared for the situation. I am fortunate that my migraines provide a visual alert (I see spots, and lose peripheral vision) that provides me about 10 minutes to try and get medication on board. If I miss the 10 min. window, I'm done for at least a day. I travel prepared. I don't think it's my right to ask you NOT to wear that cologne, it's my responsibility to expect the unexpected. I guess it really is all about perspective.

Blue skies and smooth seas to all. :)

I was also going to make a post to this effect...I'm 19 years old, and I have a moderately physically disabling illness, which I have had for years, and I'm covered under the ADA for college and stuff, registered with SSD and all that legal jazz. ;) One of my symptoms is fainting/convulsions, usually happening at inopportune times (convulsing during a ziplining tour? not fun!! trust me! ;) haha). One thing that can cause these fainting episodes for me is the strong smell of perfume/cologne, because my body cannot properly handle stimuli and overreacts to it, including some scents. So, being too near to someone who wears overpowering perfume can actually make me feel very physically ill and even cause me to faint if it's bad enough. But, I'm also not going to go around taunting some sort of 'holier-than-thou' attitude or whatever, telling people that they are interfering with my rights by wearing perfume that they like. How ridiculous would that be?! I'm not any more important than their right to wear perfume, and they generally aren't causing me any unbearable discomfort that I can't escape from by moving ten feet away from them. Part of life is compromise, and I feel like everybody can get kind of selfish and only focus on themselves and their "rights" and their lives, when really, we all just need to give a little and respect each other. :)

That being said, I can TOTALLY understand both sides of the argument between the poster with allergies and those with service animals. I understand that it would be very uncomfortable for the poster with allergies to be around pet dander and really hamper his or her vacation. But, under the ADA, people with QUALIFIED service animals (yes, I know a lot of people take advantage, just like with everything in life!) can't be segregated to certain cabins/areas of the ship, just like a person with legally-covered allergies can't be segregated to certain areas only because they're "allergen free". You can't tell someone who has a disability that they can only choose from select rooms because of their disability, on either side. The person with allergies (if legally covered) or the person with the service dog. It can get really sticky, and I'm not sure that there's a good solution. I do know that both people have the right to a wonderful vacation!

I just wanted to offer my two cents...it's 5:45 in the morning, so my apologies if I don't make any sense!

ignorant - just because the dog was small does not mean is it not of use - I am sure you would have been the first to complain that you missed a port or had to stay longer because the service dog was not allowed and the owner had some type of medical emergency - if the dog did not crap on you or bite you what do you care - educate yourself before posting ignorant rubbish

First, I want to thank my dear husband [rolls royce lover] for standing-up for Service/Working Dogs. And, then I wanted to add one more thing; if you look at my Avatar and within my post you will see Brenda.

She's my Hero.....she's made it safe for me to go out into public; she's saved my life on more than once occasion [and, never expected anything in return]; she's selfless and unselfish. She makes friends wherever she goes; she never judges or says unkind words; she's always ready to play; she always gives me love and is ready to receive it; she's a wonderful girl, with a golden heart and is pure of soul.

She's 11 years old now and I know that her life is winding down; she's slower to respond to my needs and likes to sleep a bit more than she used to but she's still ready to go to work every single day!!!!!

She doesn't whine because she doesn't think she's paid enough or cry when she doesn't get as much as the next dog......she just wants to go to work and make me happy!

She'll have a younger playmate soon, as I'm up for a Successor Dog and then she can stay home with PaPa and take her naps and get belly rubs all day long, if she wishes.

Pure of soul; Pure of heart.......Don't you wish more people were like this?

Your post brought tears to my eyes this morning. Pollywog, my dog also saved my life before. In a different way, but she surely saved my life. I just got finished reading "Inside of a Dog:What Dogs See, Smell and Know" By Alexandra Horowitz. It is not a dog training book, and I though you may be interested. Here is the link to her site~

http://insideofadog.com/

Lisa

I could only wish to be half as good as my dog.

There is nothing like a dog...nothing.

I agree. Here's a test:

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for 30 minutes. When you open the trunk, your true friend is the one that's still happy to see you!

Two questions;

So the dog that was riding in the stroller, did it sit in a highchair at dinner?

Did it get up on stage in any of the trivia contests

and

I wonder if I can get my dog on the ship as a service dog,

His service is making sure the hot tub is not to hot

Sorry the other link was wrong,

Maybe my hippo could be a service hippo, after all he is a "Hero Hippo"

My family raises puppies for a well known service dog organization, so I am aware of the issues.

I do not believe that any reasonable person would have a problem with a properly trained and handled service dog performing their function on a cruise ship, or anywhere else.

Unfortunately, there are those who are always trying to skirt the rules or scam the system for their own selfish desires. In the case of service animals, the behavior of the scammers increase the difficulty for those with legitimate service dogs. Baby carriages and feeding dogs from the dining room tables are not legitimate service dog handling and functions. Service dogs are trained how to behave in public situations and in crowds and their handlers are trained to handle the dogs in the same situations.

I believe that there should be an organization that sanctions service dog organizations. This organization would issue a standard identification that identifies a dog as a service dog. This ID would identify the service dog as legitimate while protecting the privacy of the dog handler. No other ID would be acceptable. Any attempts at forgeries or fake IDs should result in criminal and/or civil penalties. That would put that issue to rest.

The allegry issue is also real. I am sure that most hotels have some animal free rooms or other ways to alleviate the situation for people with animal allergies. It's not like the hotels and cruise ships are overflowing with service animals.

As in most situations, civil discourse, communication, and education would overcome the overwhelming majority of questions and concerns.

I work in a retail store and a husband and wife came in today with a tiny dog wearing a vest with "service dog" on it. The wife explained that the dog was hers. Guess who carried the dog around the store for an hour of shopping? The husband.

Better the dog then her purse. :cool:

My family raises puppies for a well known service dog organization, so I am aware of the issues.

I do not believe that any reasonable person would have a problem with a properly trained and handled service dog performing their function on a cruise ship, or anywhere else.

Unfortunately, there are those who are always trying to skirt the rules or scam the system for their own selfish desires. In the case of service animals, the behavior of the scammers increase the difficulty for those with legitimate service dogs. Baby carriages and feeding dogs from the dining room tables are not legitimate service dog handling and functions. Service dogs are trained how to behave in public situations and in crowds and their handlers are trained to handle the dogs in the same situations.

I believe that there should be an organization that sanctions service dog organizations. This organization would issue a standard identification that identifies a dog as a service dog. This ID would identify the service dog as legitimate while protecting the privacy of the dog handler. No other ID would be acceptable. Any attempts at forgeries or fake IDs should result in criminal and/or civil penalties. That would put that issue to rest.

The allegry issue is also real. I am sure that most hotels have some animal free rooms or other ways to alleviate the situation for people with animal allergies. It's not like the hotels and cruise ships are overflowing with service animals.

As in most situations, civil discourse, communication, and education would overcome the overwhelming majority of questions and concerns.

Very well stated !!

The knee jerk reaction here is oh how noble, how wonderful....but the reality is that SOME people are abusing the "service animal" criteria

This is becoming a real problem in south florida condos etc..the villas where I live have not allowed dogs for ? 14 years I think...but various people have dogs....for "anxiety"..."depression">> Oh my husband died and I am depressed....a little yorkie is my doctor prescription is the mantra here I guess

We have one lady...very large...who rides a scooter when she feels like it...she pulls her "anxiety" bichon frise along , poor thing looks like it is choking...not sure what her "disability" is but apparently an extra long cigarette helps her lungs as she scoots along...beep beep...she will run you over...

she does walk however...as I see her in stores and see her walking(*with dog wearing it's jacket that looks unofficial to me LOL)

In the grocery store she uses their scooter....beep beep and the dog rides along. I have it on "authority" the dog is for "anxiety and depression"

I guess the cigs help her health too or so she might think???

People like that make it hard on those who need a service animal on board for legit reasons. I think the new guidelines might help

I did see a little white dog in stroller on Glory....sometimes in the arms of the lady or in it's stroller...she had it for "anxiety">> no one could go "near" her on elevator...and you had to back off from her in line

Mental illness or phobia or whatever?? The dog was there to "keep people away" from her or so she and husband said....move out of the way, don't get too near....hold dog or stroller in front....please let them use elevator on their own....??? wth??

I think regulation and/or certification would be a good move. Otherwise the ships could be overrun with some of these "anxiety" ridden people who get their doctors to write them an ok so they can have pets in places that don't allow them

(ps...I wish we could have dogs as I used to have Maltese. However I am not about to get a fake "prescription" to have one)

On my cruise last month we saw a small poodle on the ship with it's owner so we knew it was a service dog.

It was not on a leash and stayed with them at all times, the dog was never distracted by the noise and people.

I had to explain to my 11 yo daughter why the dog was on the ship.

Very nice that people with disabilities can go places and do things with the help of thier dog.

Toni

Very well stated !!

The knee jerk reaction here is oh how noble, how wonderful....but the reality is that SOME people are abusing the "service animal" criteria

This is becoming a real problem in south florida condos etc..the villas where I live have not allowed dogs for ? 14 years I think...but various people have dogs....for "anxiety"..."depression">> Oh my husband died and I am depressed....a little yorkie is my doctor prescription is the mantra here I guess

We have one lady...very large...who rides a scooter when she feels like it...she pulls her "anxiety" bichon frise along , poor thing looks like it is choking...not sure what her "disability" is but apparently an extra long cigarette helps her lungs as she scoots along...beep beep...she will run you over...

she does walk however...as I see her in stores and see her walking(*with dog wearing it's jacket that looks unofficial to me LOL)

In the grocery store she uses their scooter....beep beep and the dog rides along. I have it on "authority" the dog is for "anxiety and depression"

I guess the cigs help her health too or so she might think???

People like that make it hard on those who need a service animal on board for legit reasons. I think the new guidelines might help

I did see a little white dog in stroller on Glory....sometimes in the arms of the lady or in it's stroller...she had it for "anxiety">> no one could go "near" her on elevator...and you had to back off from her in line

Mental illness or phobia or whatever?? The dog was there to "keep people away" from her or so she and husband said....move out of the way, don't get too near....hold dog or stroller in front....please let them use elevator on their own....??? wth??

I think regulation and/or certification would be a good move. Otherwise the ships could be overrun with some of these "anxiety" ridden people who get their doctors to write them an ok so they can have pets in places that don't allow them

(ps...I wish we could have dogs as I used to have Maltese. However I am not about to get a fake "prescription" to have one)

Well said and I agree that there are a multitude of loopholes for people to classify their favorite pets as a service animal so they can travel together. I know two people who own restaurants who will not let animals in their establishments. Why lose business and compromise the health of other patrons. I will not eat in a restaurant that allows animals. They tell the few people they have turned away who have threatened to sue to go ahead and sue. They know it mostly bogus too. No one has ever followed up on their threats.

So I wonder if the lady on the Glory would get her own life boat because no one was allowed near her or her dog...:D

On our recent cruise on the Carnival Dream, returning to Port Canaveral on 5/7 AM, there was a couple aboard for the week with their cutsie little arm candy dog !!

We both saw them walk thru the Lido buffet serving area with the little bugger on a leash walking ahead of them & another time we saw the cute little dog in a baby stroller being pushed around on deck 5, probably being taken to the casino for good luck.

We inquired at guest services & were told that this dog was a certified "service dog" !!

He was way too small to be of service to anyone !!

Could this be what we have to look forward to - cruising with fleas, dog poop & all the rest of the surprises that go with dogs ?

Apparently all you have to do is get a "certification" for your dog from your vet that says he is a/your "service dog".

We are not dog owners but this dog looked like a Yorkie type.

Looks like the wife & I will go out & get our own dog to take along on our next cruise as our service dog !!

Oh please dont. Leave the dogs at home.... I can not wait to get away from mine for the week.

I can't imagine someone bringing a dog just for the hell of it. (I believe this was probably a service dog). I love my (non-service) dog, but, as for my vacation, I'm happy to leave the feeding, walking, scooping, etc. at home! ;)

As for people saying the dog(s) are cleaner and more well behaved (which I'm CERTAIN was true), that's a moot point to bring up with someone with allergies who has concerns about being assigned a room that previously housed a dog. Allergies have nothing to do with cleanliness.

Well said and I agree that there are a multitude of loopholes for people to classify their favorite pets as a service animal so they can travel together. I know two people who own restaurants who will not let animals in their establishments. Why lose business and compromise the health of other patrons. I will not eat in a restaurant that allows animals. They tell the few people they have turned away who have threatened to sue to go ahead and sue. They know it mostly bogus too. No one has ever followed up on their threats.

So I wonder if the lady on the Glory would get her own life boat because no one was allowed near her or her dog...:D

Wow please let us know what restaraunts these are so we can avoid them.......I would have no problem alerting the local news media........

Wow please let us know what restaraunts these are so we can avoid them.......I would have no problem alerting the local news media........

I'm confused. You want to avoid a restaurant that won't let dogs in? Or avoid a restaurant that you can't take your dog to? Or a restaurant that won't let a service dog in?

+1 (and the ADA). I'd show up there with my service dog (if I had one), a copy of the statute, and the police.

This would be a great "What would you do" episode with John Quinones!

I know two people who own restaurants who will not let animals in their establishments. Why lose business and compromise the health of other patrons. I will not eat in a restaurant that allows animals. They tell the few people they have turned away who have threatened to sue to go ahead and sue. They know it mostly bogus too. No one has ever followed up on their threats.

:rolleyes:

there are just no words....

Archived