Take your pet cruising on Carnival with you !!

As I read all these posts, I kept telling myself don't be one of these people to respond to this thread, but I just can't help myself.

I don't see how a dog or cat on board would ruin your vacation or give you concern.

I would have a problem with a dog who smoked and hogged pool chairs while cutting in the buffet line to get me my food.:)

And do you take on cases of all the people taking fake service dogs on cruise ships? :D:D

We've never had a cruise ship case but we turn down cases of people trying to "fake" service animals almost weekly. And yes, we would take on a case of someone who was truly injured by a an animal aboad a cruise ship if such a case existed.

I'm emotional sometimes...going to have my cat certified and bring him along everywhere, because he's MY CAT and make me feel better. Discriminate against me and I will sue you. Latitude 20 will help. Say something !

Your cat would be considered an "emotional support animal" and would not be allowed on a cruise ship or any other place of public accommodation. Only service animals are allowed in places of public accommodation.

The distinction is a service animal is needed for what it does while an emotional support animal is needed for who it is. I've posted previously in this thread about the regulations for service animals.

However, emotional support animals are allowed in "no pets" housing and in the cabins of aircraft.

As you requested, I hope this helps.

Animals are wonderful, and intuitive, and an asset to almost everyone. That said, people have gotten way out of hand pretending that their animals are service animals. Service animals need to be trained to peform a function, not merely helpful. It's a shame that so many people took advantage that the regulations had to be changed and clarified.

I'm primarily a Disney traveler and every single day on those boards there's an argument from someone who gets anxious in crowds so they need their pet to calm them down. That is not providing a service and needs to be stopped. I've not seen many service animals on cruises (and none that seemed to be taking advantage) but I think we all see people every day of our lives who won't be parted from their dogs for a minute. That's who we are talking about.

I wish people wouldn't be vilified for offering an opinion. If you have a trained, certified service dog take it everywhere with you. If you are exaggerating because you like your pet or lean on it for emotional support, shame on you for taking advantage of the fact that people can't question your "disability."

Thank You!

I have been on over 16 cruises and I have never seen a dog on a cruise.........talk about exaggeration.......
It is entirely possible that there have been service dogs on your cruises but you never noticed them. They are typically very well behaved, quiet and unobtrusive. They lie underneath the table in the dining rooms and bar areas and down on the floor at their owner's feet in the theaters so it is easy for people not to realize they are there.

On a large ship, one could easily spend the entire cruise without ever encountering them or realizing that they are on board.

Having a service animal opens up another part of life that these disabled people would never normally have. Kudos to these animals, and the people who train them. I DO think that all service animals should have visible vests designating them as working service animals - they even make tiny vests for those lap dogs used as emotional support animals. That would stop a lot of the finger pointing.

I go to Europe all the time and have not witnessed what you are saying. Can you be more specific in what countries you are referring too.

Germany, England, Wales, The Netherlands, France, Italy, Bosnia, Croatia, Spain, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium. I spent 13 years in Europe with the US military and have seen dogs and cats in cafes and restaurants in every country I visited.

Personally, if I see the dog in the first picture on a ship, I understand. If I see the second dog, I'm asking the question.

Not that some people aren't buttheads that may take advantage of this, but have you ever had a dog??

I have always had a large breed dog...but when they are puppies, I always found myself tripping over them, accidentally kicking them etc, because a dog is usually always undr foot.

I always thought, "How do people with small breeds that never grow stand this???"

I would think that people who put their little breed dogs in strollers on a cruise ship might just be protecting them from being stepped on.

Just a possibility...

Your cat would be considered an "emotional support animal" and would not be allowed on a cruise ship or any other place of public accommodation. Only service animals are allowed in places of public accommodation.

The distinction is a service animal is needed for what it does while an emotional support animal is needed for who it is. I've posted previously in this thread about the regulations for service animals.

However, emotional support animals are allowed in "no pets" housing and in the cabins of aircraft.

It's great when people post valuable info...thanks :)

It is entirely possible that there have been service dogs on your cruises but you never noticed them. They are typically very well behaved, quiet and unobtrusive. They lie underneath the table in the dining rooms and bar areas and down on the floor at their owner's feet in the theaters so it is easy for people not to realize they are there.

On a large ship, one could easily spend the entire cruise without ever encountering them or realizing that they are on board.

How true!!

Originally Posted by mcwebber viewpost.gif

"Really? I don't think I've ever seen a passenger lick their butt and spread fecal matter over their hair and then shed that hair, contaminated with fecal matter, constantly."

WOW - this may actually take the ignorance award........

Ever heard of Clostridium difficile (C-Diff) : C. difficile (clostridium difficile) can be transmitted from person to person by hand contact, and contaminated items and surfaces. It is present in feces and can be transmitted by anything that has came in contact with feces.

Just sayin!

Germany, England, Wales, The Netherlands, France, Italy, Bosnia, Croatia, Spain, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium. I spent 13 years in Europe with the US military and have seen dogs and cats in cafes and restaurants in every country I visited.

Wow....I would change where you eat....I have lived in many countries in Europe and have not seen what you state as a common practice....must be where we stay and what type of restaurants we go to....:)

The thread was titled "Traveling With Your Pet" which may have created some confusion.

Another problem seems to be that there is no standard accreditation or national standards on how certification happens for these animals. Hence, people can buy the vests and certificates off the internet and are circumventing the law in large numbers. Just look at the number of sites on the internet offering this service. Plus I know three people who have done this so they can take their Yorkie, Chihuahua, Dachshund, etc. to Von's, Ralphs, Nordstroms etc. I doubt cruise lines are going to create a hassle for a pet owner if they present bogus certifications and there are no clear or national certification documents. :)

I'm willing to bet those service animals are much cleaner and more well-behaved than a good chunk of passengers. Just sayin.......

So when you see a lady feeding her "service dog" from the buffet with her fingers like I did I suppose you'll just think that's fine too! Yuk!

Wow....I would change where you eat....I have lived in many countries in Europe and have not seen what you state as a common practice....must be where we stay and what type of restaurants we go to....:)

Local gasthaus, McDonald's, baeckereis, little mom & pop places.....don't normally have the money (or desire) to visit the big fancy 50 Euro per person restaurants so maybe you don't see dogs in those types of restaurants. I can't think of a time at the local gasthaus in Heiligenmoschel that I haven't seen someone bring their dog in. Luckily, I'm not allergic to dogs and their dogs stay at their master's feet so it's no problem.

Why would I want to change where I eat??? :confused: The local places have the absolute best food around!!!

THAT'S MY VALENTINE!!!!! I assure you that she is a very qualified service dog who is a platinum cruiser and will be on the T/A for the Carnival Magic. I swear people should be trained as well as she is! The reason she is in her travel bag is she is so small and if I tried to walk with her people would step on her possibly breaking her leg. On a cruise especially people are not expecting to see a dog let alone one so small so I have to take precautions to protect her so that she can help me. This little dog has awakened me from a deep sleep alert me to a serious situations on more that one occations. I know that she is a cutie pie type of dog but believe me she is a hard worker!

Valentine's Mom - We look forward to seeing you and Valentine on the TA!

Not that some people aren't buttheads that may take advantage of this, but have you ever had a dog??

I have always had a large breed dog...but when they are puppies, I always found myself tripping over them, accidentally kicking them etc, because a dog is usually always undr foot.

I always thought, "How do people with small breeds that never grow stand this???"

I would think that people who put their little breed dogs in strollers on a cruise ship might just be protecting them from being stepped on.

Just a possibility...

I've been called out on a message board!

I had three dogs as a child and one as an adult and I wouldn't take any of them on a cruise ship out of respect to the dog and my fellow cruisers. They are pets, not people. Cruise ships are designed for people.

I fully support service animals and their rights to be anywhere. But if I see a little lap dog in this contraption on a cruise ship, I'm calling B.S.

I had three dogs as a child and one as an adult and I wouldn't take any of them on a cruise ship out of respect to the dog and my fellow cruisers. They are pets, not people. Cruise ships are designed for people.

I fully support service animals and their rights to be anywhere. But if I see a little lap dog in this contraption on a cruise ship, I'm calling B.S

Then what:confused:

I fully support service animals and their rights to be anywhere. But if I see a little lap dog in this contraption on a cruise ship, I'm calling B.S

Then what:confused:

Grab 'em. Hook 'em. And fish for barracuda.

What's the answer? I'd rather not do a Google seach on "Carnival Dog Where Does the Feces Go?".

Check the disability section of the board. It will be on the first page, near the top, and the answer will probably be on the first page of the thread.

Archived