Venice Hotel: mainland (Mestre) vs. Venice Island?

CCJack

We are planning on 3 days in Vencie before our cruise, and have never been to Italy. (Although I have been to Europe many times.) I know it is easier to get Luggage to a Mestre hotel rather than Venice, but would it be better to stay on the island? We are a couple in our 40s and love to walk, so that is not a problem. Looking for a convenient location.

Also, I am a bit of a whimp when it comes to air conditioning, European A/C is always questionable. Can someone recommend a hotel or whether to stay on the island or not? thanks.

The Piazzale Roma area would probably be easiest for you. This is where the buses from the airport drop off their passengers.

You'll need to check each for A/C and elevator.

You didn't indicate a budget.. the Papadopoli (former sofitel) looks like it is modernized on the inside,

Mestre hotels will be much cheaper and if you stay by the train station less than 10 minutes away and only a couple of Euros to commute.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Given how you describe yourself(ie young and able to walk without difficulty), by all means, stay in Venice proper, not in Mestre! This last time we were there in August , it was scorching hot, but our lovely and cozy hotel room had great A/C. It's called Al Ponte Mocenigo, 3 stops from Piazzale Roma by vaporetto.

Given how you describe yourself(ie young and able to walk without difficulty), by all means, stay in Venice proper, not in Mestre! This last time we were there in August , it was scorching hot, but our lovely and cozy hotel room had great A/C. It's called Al Ponte Mocenigo, 3 stops from Piazzale Roma by vaporetto.

Al Ponte Mocenigo, Locando Orseolo and Ca Angeli are 3 of the best hotels in Venice. They are somewhat expensive but half the price of the hotels on the Laguna at St. Mark's. If you will only be in Venice once, you should treat yourself to one of these 3 hotels in the city. You will find that the city is so small that you can walk everywhere.

I agree! IF you are visiting Venice stay IN Venice!

Mestre is a totally different city.

I have stayed at both Ca Angeli and Al Ponte Mocenigo.

They were both wonderful in their own way.

Al Ponte is less expensive but not on the Grand Canal.

Both have helpful staff and both will be comfortable.

Locanda Orseolo has always been a bit beyond my budget but I have friends who won't stay anywhere else!

You will pay more for staying in Venice proper, but I think it is worth the cost. You can find nice three star hotel in Venice. Check the Venere website. We staying in one about half a KM from the rail station for about 90Euros.

Don't stay in Mestre. It would be like staying in Brooklyn when visiting NYC. Its like why? Nothing wrong with Mestre- but it isn't Venice. Venice is best in the early AM and in the evening when all the day trippers are gone. Seriously- if I only went there on a day trip, I'd probably be turned off by the crowds. So you have to sleep there to really appreciate it.

I have stayed in St. Mark's at various hotels and some off the beaten track ones too. For a first time visitor, I highly recommend staying at either the Santa Chiara, Ca Doge, Antiche Figure or my personal favorite The Papadopoli (former Sofitel). I have stayed in St. Mark's but honestly its a pain and expense to get there with luggage. If you do decide to stay there- the Bauer was my favorite. The Metropole gets good reviews but our room was tiny and unattractive. They did have checkers, chess and live opera singers in the lobby, which was quite a nice experience.

The only problem with the Papadopoli is you have to cross one small bridge. You arrive at Piazzale Roma by bus from the airport and you head east. There is one small bridge, which is why I don't recommend this to older people but it is easy for 40ish year olds.

Anyway, this hotel is excellent. Large bathrooms and comfortable large rooms. Its elegant and more of an American style hotel. In Venice the rooms tend to be very small and antiquated. So I would pay extra to stay here.

If you are on a budget... the Hotel Antiche Figure is also nice but you do have to cross a small bridge and its a bit more difficult to find but you will save money here. They do have free internet in the lobby, which I took advantage of.

Just returned from the Carnival Magic inaugeral cruise May 1st. We stayed in Venice 2 days before at the Rialto B&B. It is on trip adviser. It was such an amazing experience. they only rent 3 rooms (1 is a insuite meaning it has it's own bathroom) We happened to share the bathroom with the other bedroom occuppied by friends. The breakfast and snacks are amazing and the location is primo. We paid 100 Euros for our toom with the shared bathroom. Would love to go and stay again. tomorrow would not be too soon

On a visit to Venice my daughter stayed in a lovely modern hotel in Mestre. They were on a driving trip so it was easier to park the car there and take the train into Venice. There is a very good train service. The hotel prices were much cheaper in Mestre.

I have to join in with the others - definitely stay in Venice. Yes, it will be pricier but it's well worth it. This is an experience and you want to enjoy every minute of it.

We stayed at a historic place, so it was a bit pricey - but it has to be one of the BEST places we have ever stayed in our lives. Words can't describe it (and they had a private water taxi dock which made things easy). Just far enough from the maddening crowd and a 10 to 20 minute walk to everything. Palazzo Abadessa - we'd go back in a minute:)

Archived