Kenai Fjords Cruise on day cruise ends in Whittier?

PCruiser22

Your "included" transfer, will be time specific in the MORNING. It is not an open transfer.

I also doubt there are many, if any "transfers" running, in the time you need. ADD to the mix, it is NOT likely you are going to make the 7:30pm tunnel anyway- which means the 8:30pm tunnel, and dropping the car off after the office is long closed. Hopefully you can see, that the ONLY way to do this is to rent a ONE way Whittier/Anchorage car.

Thank you, I think that is what we will do then. Maybe we could squeeze in a visit to the conservation center as well by not having to rush back.

Perhaps you can get a refund for the unused Princess transfer from Whittier to Anchorage. Our travel agent refunded money when we did not use the Princess transfers from airport to hotel. This costs were build into our initial costs and then we decided to rent a car to travel from Anchorage to Seward to do the Kenai Fjord tour. We are doing the land tour first and then cruising South. We added an extra day to the beginning of our cruisetour to travel to Seward.

Thanks everyone. My decision was based on wanting to see wildlife which based on posts like this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=403692, seems to suggest a clear advantage to Kenai Fjords over PWS for this purpose. After being to Glacier bay, College Fjord and walking on the glacier in Juneau, we wanted this to be a way to see more ocean wildlife, whales, puffins, etc..

I do understand that the PWS cruise is easier, but I thought Kenai would be more in line with what we were looking for, but since I have done neither, maybe this is a flawed assumption and both provide a similar experience?

Just to let you know that I am a geography teacher in Anchorage and have taught for over 35 years. I used to take my classes to Kenai Fjords for a boat trip every summer but found that these trips are much more weather dependent than the trips into Prince William Sound. The sound is a protected area and not as closely affected by the weather whims of the Gulf of Alaska which has cancelled several trips over the years.

Given the long drive for my students from Anchorage, I switched to the Prince William Sound trips and have never regretted it. Students really love the 6 hour trips which go through Esther Passage where we've seen all sorts of wildlife including whales, orcas, bears, and lots of eagles. In addition to Esther Passage, the 6 hour trips also go to Barry Arm and the active glaciers of this beautful fjord. One of the companies is even including free admission to the wildlife center and you can also stop at the Begich-Boggs visitor center in Portage Valley to learn more about the area.

It's not that Kenai Fjords is preferable to Prince William Sound or vice versa but the logistics certainly work out better by taking the trip out of Whittier.

Sure hope this helps.

Thank you, I think that is what we will do then. Maybe we could squeeze in a visit to the conservation center as well by not having to rush back.

IF you are still thinking about taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour, no, you are NOT going to have any time to squeeze anything in. You won't be out of Whittier, until the 9am tunnel and it is at least a 2 hour drive. Boat tours leave at 11:30, it is at least a 3 hour drive back to Anchorage, with you "finding" your hotel.

I agree with Chenega- you had already chosen an itinerary that does not go well with what you are thinking, adding a Kenai Fjords day trip. It is too bad you did not realize this from the begining. An alternative, that would work far better is for you to add this on after your cruisetour. Simple to do. I am actually doing Seward on both ends of my trip this year, BUT, I have the advantage of the cruise ship being there, a round trip Anchorage car, and most important, time.

Yes, it is the superior area for varied wildlife, but there will be some wildlife out of Whittier too.

You have a tough choice to make. Have you determined that a one way car is available??? You may want to verify that first before, any more plans are made.

IF you are still thinking about taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour, no, you are NOT going to have any time to squeeze anything in. You won't be out of Whittier, until the 9am tunnel and it is at least a 2 hour drive. Boat tours leave at 11:30, it is at least a 3 hour drive back to Anchorage, with you "finding" your hotel.

I agree with Chenega- you had already chosen an itinerary that does not go well with what you are thinking, adding a Kenai Fjords day trip. It is too bad you did not realize this from the begining. An alternative, that would work far better is for you to add this on after your cruisetour. Simple to do. I am actually doing Seward on both ends of my trip this year, BUT, I have the advantage of the cruise ship being there, a round trip Anchorage car, and most important, time.

Yes, it is the superior area for varied wildlife, but there will be some wildlife out of Whittier too.

You have a tough choice to make. Have you determined that a one way car is available??? You may want to verify that first before, any more plans are made.

Thanks Budget Queen. Yes, we've booked a one-way rental on Avis, although a PJS taxi is an option as well (they guarantee to get us to the cruise with a stop on the way as well, so pricier but might be a better option).

Doing after the tour is not an option for us. Our tour ends in Fairbanks and we've booked flights out of Fairbanks to get my wife back to work on time.

Finding the hotel in Anchorage is not an issue as there is no real time constraint there.

this is what Renee from PJS said:

"Are you wanting to get to Seward in time for a wildlife cruise? If so ..that is common trip and not a problem getting you there on time for the 11:30 departure. 10am could be done too.

I will stop along the way for pictures, the conservation center http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ and can include a trip to Exit Glacier and a free tour of town if desired."

Thanks Budget Queen. Yes, we've booked a one-way rental on Avis, although a PJS taxi is an option as well (they guarantee to get us to the cruise with a stop on the way as well, so pricier but might be a better option).

Doing after the tour is not an option for us. Our tour ends in Fairbanks and we've booked flights out of Fairbanks to get my wife back to work on time.

Finding the hotel in Anchorage is not an issue as there is no real time constraint there.

"Are you wanting to get to Seward in time for a wildlife cruise? If so ..that is common trip and not a problem getting you there on time for the 11:30 departure. 10am could be done too.

I will stop along the way for pictures, the conservation center http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ and can include a trip to Exit Glacier and a free tour of town if desired."

If you go with Renee's will you take the train to Anchorage? It is a pretty amazing journey through some awesome, breathtaking scenery.

Don't forget the motionsickness precautions for Kenai Fjords. It can get pretty rough on some days.

If you go with Renee's will you take the train to Anchorage? It is a pretty amazing journey through some awesome, breathtaking scenery.

Don't forget the motionsickness precautions for Kenai Fjords. It can get pretty rough on some days.

Thanks! I plan to have a stock of Bonine with me. :)

This is what I ended up finalizing:

- One way car rental with Avis (signed up for Avis Preferred - free, so that all paperwork, etc is pre-completed).

- Kenai Fjords Tours - 6 hour tour / 11:30AM - they had a 10% off online special and also included free admission to the wildlife conservation center

Renee from PJS seemed really nice but I liked the flexibility of driving slowly back ourselves on the Seward highway.

I'll update here on how it goes.

Thanks! I plan to have a stock of Bonine with me. :)

This is what I ended up finalizing:

- One way car rental with Avis (signed up for Avis Preferred - free, so that all paperwork, etc is pre-completed).

- Kenai Fjords Tours - 6 hour tour / 11:30AM - they had a 10% off online special and also included free admission to the wildlife conservation center

Renee from PJS seemed really nice but I liked the flexibility of driving slowly back ourselves on the Seward highway.

I'll update here on how it goes.

Sounds like a great plan. Here is a link for the stops between Anchorage and Seward. Just follow it in reverse:

http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

Yes, PJ's is consistantly raved about as an excellent option for a Whitter/Seward transfer.

But, you probably are not going to have time for the Conservation Center. What you may not realize, you are not likely to get out of Whittier until 9am. The Avis in Whittier is at the Harbor Store, usually a one person run operatioin. The Avis Preferred may not even be available, and they open when they "get there". :) PJ's would get you out at least an hour, and maybe even two hours earlier. Makes a big difference.

Yes, PJ's is consistantly raved about as an excellent option for a Whitter/Seward transfer.

But, you probably are not going to have time for the Conservation Center. What you may not realize, you are not likely to get out of Whittier until 9am. The Avis in Whittier is at the Harbor Store, usually a one person run operatioin. The Avis Preferred may not even be available, and they open when they "get there". :) PJ's would get you out at least an hour, and maybe even two hours earlier. Makes a big difference.

Yes, doing Conservation center after, not before.

http://travel.yahoo.com/trip-view-2480177-summer_alaska_adventure;_ylt=Alcf9Lx0MFYxrgtmB5xqS21SfMgF

If you make it to the Conservation center on time, great. But just to let you know, that is a fairly slim chance. Your tour ends at 5:30, you have 75 miles to travel (this is not a 75mph road), you can't enter the area after 7:30, and it closes at 8. Even if you make it by 7:30, consider ahead of time if you want to pay for 1/2 an hour or so.

If you make it to the Conservation center on time, great. But just to let you know, that is a fairly slim chance. Your tour ends at 5:30, you have 75 miles to travel (this is not a 75mph road), you can't enter the area after 7:30, and it closes at 8. Even if you make it by 7:30, consider ahead of time if you want to pay for 1/2 an hour or so.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks!

Our tour (Kenai Fjords Tours) includes admission to the conservation center but we may not be able to use it. hmm

Please don't let all the nay-sayers bother you. Get out of Whittier as soon as you can - you might even consider being a "walk off" and thus being off the ship first. Avis in Whittier might or might not have all your info. If not, it will take an extra 2-3 minutes to type it in. Who cares? You might or might not make the 8am tunnel. Who cares? Even with the 9am tunnel, you will make it to Seward in time, probably also with the 10am tunnel per PJ's Taxi. You might or might not make it to the Wildlife Conservation Center. Again, who cares? It is what it is. Stop along the way for the great scenery. Have a late dinner in Girdwood, make stops along Turnagain Arm. Just enjoy the day and don't worry about anything. You can't change a thing by worrying.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks!

Our tour (Kenai Fjords Tours) includes admission to the conservation center but we may not be able to use it. hmm

Well, with admission already included, then I guess you don't have to worry about whether or not it's worth stopping. That's great, as you probably will make it just in time to get in.

Please don't let all the nay-sayers bother you. Get out of Whittier as soon as you can - you might even consider being a "walk off" and thus being off the ship first. Avis in Whittier might or might not have all your info. If not, it will take an extra 2-3 minutes to type it in. Who cares? You might or might not make the 8am tunnel. Who cares? Even with the 9am tunnel, you will make it to Seward in time, probably also with the 10am tunnel per PJ's Taxi. You might or might not make it to the Wildlife Conservation Center. Again, who cares? It is what it is. Stop along the way for the great scenery. Have a late dinner in Girdwood, make stops along Turnagain Arm. Just enjoy the day and don't worry about anything. You can't change a thing by worrying.

I don't think it's a case of "naysaying" as much as wanting people to have realistic expectations and being prepared. I'm sure we've all been on trips where our expectations weren't met, and others where they were more than met. Normally, we're happier about the ones that exceeded expectations, and disappointed in the ones that fell short. I went to the Galapagos Islands last fall and was disappointed not to see penguins. I'd done enough research to know they could be found there, but not enough to know we weren't going to the right islands. :( My fault, but disappointing, all the same. It wasn't the fact that we didn't see penguins that hurt, but the fact that my expectations weren't met.

Locals up here are well aware that summer time is road repair and construction time which can often affect driving plans. Any construction on the Seward Highway can really slow things down.

This poster had some unrealistic assumptions, including a tour, that they would have found out, too late, it was not doable. Which, those in the know, are trying to make clear.

I would think that this information, may be of value for some people, and if not, easily ignored for them to find out by themselves.

the posters on this board come from a LOT of FIRST hand experience.

This poster had some unrealistic assumptions, including a tour, that they would have found out, too late, it was not doable. Which, those in the know, are trying to make clear.

I would think that this information, may be of value for some people, and if not, easily ignored for them to find out by themselves.

the posters on this board come from a LOT of FIRST hand experience.

Budget Queen, you have lot's of good info and definitely a lot of experience, but as someone new to these forums, I have to say I'm surprised by the tone of some of these messages both to me and to others, looking through archives.

Btw, capitalization is considered to be "shouting" on online forums.

Budget Queen, you have lot's of good info and definitely a lot of experience, but as someone new to these forums, I have to say I'm surprised by the tone of some of these messages both to me and to others, looking through archives.

It's no surprise to the regulars on the Alaska forum :D

I agree with frugaltraveler, go for it. If it works out, what a bonus. If it doesn't, have a back up plan. There's plenty to see and do between Seward/Whitiier and Anchorage.

Maybe you've considered this already, but.....if you're taking the KF boat tour in order to see whales and birds, why not do a whale watching trip out of Juneau? Those tours are far superior for whale viewing, then do the glacier hike in Seward at Exit Glacier.

I agree with frugaltraveler, go for it. If it works out, what a bonus. If it doesn't, have a back up plan. There's plenty to see and do between Seward/Whitiier and Anchorage.

Maybe you've considered this already, but.....if you're taking the KF boat tour in order to see whales and birds, why not do a whale watching trip out of Juneau? Those tours are far superior for whale viewing, then do the glacier hike in Seward at Exit Glacier.

Thanks Mapleleaves. I'm doing a heli/glacier hike in Juneau which will probably leave us pretty tired so I wanted to not do whale watching the same day, also will have scheduling challenges I think. I probably could have planned to do both in Juneau and managed time better. So the KF tour is sub par to Juneau boat tours in general?

Thanks!

Rather than seeing one as subpar to the other, they are simply different. The Juneau whale watch trips focus on seeing humpbacks and orcas. They last about 2 hours and stay fairly close to land.

The Kenai Fjords trips venture into the heart of the park with a 6-8 hour trip. They include Aialik, Holgate, or Northwestern Glacier plus a visit to the Chiswell Island Maritime Refuge as well as sightseeing in Resurrection Bay. One company has trips that stop at a small lodge on Fox Island while another prides itself in their buffet of seafood and prime rib (extra cost). Portions of this trip are in areas of open ocean which can bother some people.

Due to where you go, they can be very much weather dependent and can be shortened if not cancelled. Really no way to tell until conditions are checked by the companies on the day of the trip itself. Be sure to dress in layers and be prepared for any type of weather.

. So the KF tour is sub par to Juneau boat tours in general?

Thanks!

Juneau are whale watching tours. Sewards tours focus on lots of wildlife with a stop at a glacier as already mentioned. On our KF tour we only saw one whale. I don't recall the variety, but it was not a humpback or an orca. Last year reports were more favorable to whale sightings. However, if whales are your main reason to go on the KF you may be disappointed. We loved the tour and all the wildlife we saw. I was not looking to see whales there, so no disappointment for me. It is a great tour!!!

Juneau are whale watching tours. Sewards tours focus on lots of wildlife with a stop at a glacier as already mentioned. On our KF tour we only saw one whale. I don't recall the variety, but it was not a humpback or an orca. Last year reports were more favorable to whale sightings. However, if whales are your main reason to go on the KF you may be disappointed. We loved the tour and all the wildlife we saw. I was not looking to see whales there, so no disappointment for me. It is a great tour!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I will be happy with wildlife in general :)

Archived