Helsinki Plans - opinions?

Helsinki, Finland

After reading many threads, I put together an itinerary for our day in Helsinki. I’d like to get opinions from others who live/traveled to Helsinki. Below are my plans and information that I copied from other posts:

Vision of the Seas docked Sunday 10am-6pm at LHB Hernesaari

Purchase Public Transportation Tickets from bus driver (2011 price Euro 7.00 adult & 3.50 child)

Take Bus #16 to Market Square - stop Kauppatori

At east end of Market Square up over the bridge is the ferry dock

Take ferry to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress (spend 1 ½ hours?)

Take ferry back and visit Market Square to shop and eat lunch.

Walk to Uspenski Cathedral (Sun 12p - 3p) (distance?)

Note: On Kanavakatu just after bridge where park starts there is a zigzag path with steps in intervals going up to an open place under the cathedral - 32 steps in total (this is the route most tourist seem to use) Further forward in middle of the block where the street is at its highest point there is another path leading into the park in a left turn and on to the open place. The road is decently steep with no steps. (I would recommend that one) From the open place there are then a further 7+18+8 steps up to the cathedral.

Then visit Lutheran Church in Senate Square

Note: Front side 46+6 steps, alternative on left side uphill 14+7+6 steps, alternative further upwards to rear side 7+6 steps

Note: Half a block west of Senate Square, north side of the street is Tram 3T stop.

Take Tram 3T through downtown, passing railway station. Get off at Kauppakorkeakoulut, near the corner of Arkadia Street/Runeberg Street. Go back one block and then turn left and uphill Fredrik Street one block to the Rock Church (300 yards) Sun 12:45p-1:45P & 3:15p-5:45p

Note: Where you stepped off the Tram there is a bus stop across the street (south side of Arkadia St) where Bus 14B (going eastward at this point) will take you back to the ship.

Questions:

1. Is #16 Bus stop easy to find after getting off the ship? Location?

2. Looking at above itinerary - How much time should we plan for Suomenlinna Fortress? and Market Square?

3. Around what time should we catch the Tram 3T to visit the Rock Church?

4. What time should we catch the Bus 14B back to the ship for our 5:30pm all aboard?

5. What Tram stop is the Sibelius Park where the stainless steel sculptures are located?

6. One family member uses a walking/seat cane when she travels. She walks slow and has to rest. We are considering bringing a wheelchair. Is a wheelchair doable in Helsinki?

Wow! You have a great plan worked out. I can answer some of your questions from our visit, but I don't have 'local' knowledge.

1. The bus stop was easy to find. Most of the walk (about 10 minutes) is getting out of the dock area, once outside the bus stop was right there. When we got off the ship, there was a tourist information trailer right next to the ship, and they helped us with directions. Have currency for the bus. There was no ATM, and no way to get money for the bus if you didn't bring it, and they didn't take credit cards.

2. We didn't go to the Sea Fortress, I wish we would have, but I was worried about time. If you walk through Market Square to the ferry, and back through on your way back down another row, you will have seen enough of it to get a feeling for it. You could see the whole thing, leisurely, in about an hour. Uspenski Cathedral is very close to the ferry dock at that end of Market Square, so you may want to see that while you're in the area.

3. The Rock Church can be seen in 1/2 hour (maybe an hour from the tram stop with leisurely walkers). If you're ending the day at the Rock Church, then catching the bus to the ship you could go as late as 2:30.

4. My notes say the anticipated travel time for bus #16 from the ship to Market Square is about 30 minutes. I would plan at least that for the return trip, assuming bus #14 takes as long of a journey.

We didn't go to the Sibelius Monument, and I don't have clear recollections of how accessible things were, so I can't help on either of those.

I really enjoyed Helsinki, doing the bulk of my shopping there. They are fabulous designers! Do take some time to walk up the Esplanade, the top shopping boulevard. We enjoyed Stockmann Department store (Finland's Herrod's) with a gourmet supermarket in the basement. You can pick up Tram 3T at the Stockmann's clock.

At east end of Market Square up over the bridge is the ferry dock

At east end of Market Square BEFORE the bridge is the ferry dock

Walk to Uspenski Cathedral (Sun 12p - 3p) (distance?)

About 200 yards to the first steps

Go back one block and then turn left and uphill Fredrik Street one block to the Rock Church

Go back to the end of the block ...

1. Bus stops close to quay LHC. There is a little walking distace from quay LHB to its bus stop but there is just one way to go so it should not be hard to find.

4. My notes say the anticipated travel time for bus #16 from the ship to Market Square is about 30 minutes.

I would plan at least that for the return trip, assuming bus #14 takes as long of a journey.

The times according to the time table are actually:

Bus 16 from quay to Market Square : 13 minutes

Bus 14B from kauppakorkeakoulut to quay : 13 minutes

Bus 14B from Töölön Kirjasto (near Sibelius monument) to quay: 18 minutes

Note that there as about 15 min between the 14B buses, DON'T take bus 14 back to the ship by mistake or you have to step of at "Eiraan sairaala" and walk the last 3/4 mile to the quay.

Tram 3T Senate Square - kauppakorkeakoulut is listed as 11 minutes but as it goes straight through downtown it is much bependent on the traffic situation.

Regarding wheelchairs, I think that would be an excellent solution, especially if you have some healty person in the group to do the pushing, as the plan you show would be quite demanding for an old person and frustration for the rest of you. The city itself is quite flat and easy to do with a wheelchair with wide and mostly flat sidewalks.

- Sea fortress: Quite hilly and long distances so wheelchair is almost a must if you wanna do it in 1 1/2 hours. Apart from the dunes with the cannons on the third island you would be able to take the wheelchair almost everywhere.

- Uspenski Cathedral is problematic but you can reach the lower platform on the way I mentioned or by continuing to the end of the park and then taking the car road up. I did not mentioned that route earlier as it is a bit of a detour. Anyway, there are then a further 7+18 steps up to the upper platform and 8 quite narrow steps into the cathedral.

- Lutheran Church: Go uphill on the left side and then on to the car ramp on the rear side. Again, there are a final 13 steps to do.

- Rock church is located uphill from the tram stop but there are no steps. From the street it is straight in.

Both bus 14B and 16 are listed as low floor buses on the time table. Enter a wheelchair via the middle door. Buses have an open floor for prams in the middle.

(On the other hand a few days ago I saw a realty old bus on line 16 while low floor buses were used as shuttles to the cruise ships that day so one can never be 100% sure.)

Regarding the tram some of them are of the low floor type, some not. For example see this table (e = non-low-floor vehicle). Note that this is still the winter table.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h3t.html

Also read this:

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/passengersguide/goodtoknow/Pages/mobilityimpairedpassengers.aspx

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/passengersguide/goodtoknow/Pages/wheelchairsandwalkers.aspx

The Sibelius monument is 3/4 miles further north from the Rock Church. See this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1177157

But seriously, I think that could be a bit stressful and if you feel you have spare time and the weather is good I would recommend like "Drifing Happily" a walk along the Esplanade instead.

Do take some time to walk up the Esplanade, the top shopping boulevard. We enjoyed Stockmann Department store (Finland's Herrod's) with a gourmet supermarket in the basement.

You can pick up Tram 3T at the Stockmann's clock.

Actually you cannot do the last any longer as the 3T route is changed so it turns right one block before Stockmann and the passes the railway station instead.

Lat year we spent a fabulous day in Helsinki - we were there in ealry July and it was very HOT!!! The beginning of very hot weather in the Baltic!!

Our main object was to see Suomenlinna and it was well worth it - but we must have spent at least 3/4 hours there. DH is an historian and he really enjoyed the museum - I was planning on tolerating it but also enjoyed the displays - very, very well done and all had English translations. He also like the u-boat-type sub and went inside - too small for me!! As we were walking back to the ferry we hear there was a group rehearshing for a evening performance inthe chuch - it was open and we watch for a few minutes - an added treat!! Then we had a delightful lunch in the garden of a small restaurant near the ferry.

As we sailed back to the market we realized why so many families spent the day on the island - it was mush cooler out there!!! We walked around the market and then decided to skip the churches and tool a slow walked through the Esplanade which was lovely with flowers and people enjoying the open space. We had some ice cream that was much appreciated in the heat!!

Sadly we missed the churches (reason to return!!) but Helsinki was one of our favorite ports!!! Just be willing to adjust your schedule if needed - I didn't think we'd actually spend so much time on Suomenlinna but was happy that we did!

Have a GREAT cruise!

time4me2fly

You have a very good itinerary planned, but to say how much time should you allow for certain venues is all with your own tastes. Like my friend Peg, we also went to the Fortress, but it just wasn't our type of thing and we spent less than an hour there. We like browsing around shops and things so we spent some hours in Market Square, eating shopping and just talking to the locals. So it all depends on your likes and dislikes.

Here are a few of our pics of Helsinki to get you started.

Just a short walk from Market Square is the Uspensky Orthodox Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

Another short walk in another direction takes you to Senate Square and the Lutheran Church

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1063.jpg

We loved Market Square, with booths and food for everyone

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1133.jpg

The ride to the Fortress, on the ferry was great with some great views of Helsinki

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1121.jpg

The Church in the Rock is another awesome site in Helsinki

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1102.jpg

And off Market Square, take a leisurely stroll down the Esplanade

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1154.jpg

Enjoy your time in Helsinki, it's a great city

Cheers

Len

After reading the above advice and a few more threads, I decided to change my plans around. Thanks to all that posted advice.

Vision of the Seas docked Sunday 10am-6pm at LHB Hernesaari

Purchase Public Transportation Tickets from bus driver (2011 price Euro 7.00 adult & 3.50 child)

Bus 14B from quay to stop "Töölön kirjasto". Walk 400 yard to Sibelius Monument. Back to the bus stop mentioned above for southwards going buses 14, 14B or 18 to Rock Church (Stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut")

Tram to Senaatintori, and walk to Kauppatori.

At east end of Market Square BEFORE the bridge is the ferry dock

Take 12:00 ferry to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress

Take 2:00 ferry back and walk to Uspenski Cathedral (Sun 12p - 3p)

Walk through the Market Square for quick shopping. Then walk up the Esplanade over to Stockmann Department Store

At 4:15 leave Stockmann and walk to Hernesaari (about 35 min walk?) to board ship by 5:00.

Questions:

1. The HSL Journey Planner shows Tram 7 Lasipalatsi stop going from Rock church to Senaatintori. Is this the correct Tram for July?

2. The HSL Journey Planner doesn’t show any bus going from Esplanade to Hernesaari. It only shows a walking route. Does the Bus 16 from Northern Esplanade go back to the quay at 4:00 or so in July?

1. The HSL Journey Planner shows Tram 7 Lasipalatsi stop going from Rock church to Senaatintori. Is this the correct Tram for July?

No, thats wrong! Its half a mile from the rock church to the Lasipalatsi stop ***** Mannerheim road. The correct tram is 3T, stopping south side of Arkadia street (Stop Kauppakorkeakoulut"). One block down from the church along Fredrik street and then one block to the right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.171307,24.923966&spn=0.009467,0.041199&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.171303,24.92531&panoid=cMXau34l9US9eQECtbIYdQ&cbp=12,117.42,,0,0.89

http://www.hsl.fi/FI/aikataulutjareitit/Documents/Ratikat_kesa2011_poikkeusreitit_tekstill%C3%A4.pdf

2. The HSL Journey Planner doesn’t show any bus going from Esplanade to Hernesaari. It only shows a walking route. Does the Bus 16 from Northern Esplanade go back to the quay at 4:00 or so in July?

Yes. Nearest stop is on west side of Mannerheim road, opposite the Swedish Theatre, half a block south of the department store. And in case of problems with that one there are the shuttle buses that starts at the next block further southwards.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.167347,24.942312&spn=0.002356,0.0103&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.167023,24.942568&panoid=f6qCt8ssT1T2YaVPf9PnrQ&cbp=12,342.97,,0,0.33

I read many of your posts, which were very helpful in putting my plans together.

Thanks.

And I forgot to say that regarding the return trip from Stockmann's department store to the quay, tram 3B is an alternative down to the harbour this summer. It stops right in front of the department store on Mannerheim road (you should go southwards, i.e the platform that is farther away from the store) and it goes more often than bus 16. From the tram stop near the harbour there is about half a mile walk to quay LHB.

Regarding the option to walk all the way the easiest route is taking the Boulevard to the harbour and then turning left and following the harbour past the shipyard.

Double checking...From Rock Church, we take Tram 3T to Stop - Senaatintori, walk to Kauppatori and at east end of Market Square before the bridge is the ferry dock

Thats correct.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.167956,24.956346&spn=0.002356,0.008256&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.168001,24.956868&panoid=--1RvAFMz3xpuR_SwIpa2Q&cbp=12,231.55,,1,-4.6

Thanks, again

If we want to be back at the ship by 5:00, what time should we catch the Tram 3B?

Well, the tram trip itself should take about 10 minutes and then there is the half a mile walk. With bus 16 it would take 12 minutes according to the time table.

Hi: Where can we find a taxi from the market square back to the ship and what is the approximate cost?

Dave

There is a taxi stand at Senate Square, just one block away.

Was it 4 persons to Norwegian Sun at Hernesaari LHB on Jun 1st? That should be 11 Euro approx.

There is a taxi stand at Senate Square, just one block away.

Was it 4 persons to Norwegian Sun at Hernesaari LHB on Jun 1st? That should be 11 Euro approx.

Hi: Yes 4 leaving the pier and probably 2 returning. We want to take the ferry early and do the rest on our own in the local area. The taxi gives us full flexibility to enjoy the city. We are arriving June 28th! Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Dave

We are arriving June 28th!

Ok, thats a Tuesday and same quay so for two persons its still some 10-11 Euros depending on the route he will take. Sunday would have been 3 Euro extra. With four persons it would be 45 cent extra per mile (28 cent/km) and the route is a bit over two miles.

We will be in Helsinki from 7:00 to 3:00. I am disappointed in those hours, as I wonder what will be open on the early side, as far as sites and transportation. I want to see all the standard sites that are discussed on this board, but will the early timing be a problem.

We will be in Helsinki from 7:00 to 3:00. I am disappointed in those hours, as I wonder what will be open on the early side, as far as sites and transportation. I want to see all the standard sites that are discussed on this board, but will the early timing be a problem.

Assuming it is a working day then transport should be ok and the Market Square be in business from 6.30. The Sea fortress itself is open but the museums there don't open until ten a clock. Rock church from 10.00 am, Lutheran cathedral from 9.00.

Assuming it is a working day then transport should be ok and the Market Square be in business from 6.30. The Sea fortress itself is open but the museums there don't open until ten a clock. Rock church from 10.00 am, Lutheran cathedral from 9.00.

Thank you, I feel better. We will go to market square and then take the ferry to the fortress, we will be okay without the museums.

We will be in Helsinki on June 12. What can we expect in the way of transportation. Will buses, ferries and trams be running?

Shops will be closed but transport including ferry should be running according to normal Sunday timetables.

Hello, another question regarding a taxi back to the pier. Can we easily get a taxi from the Rock Church back to the ship or would it be wise to retrace our steps back to either Stockmann Department Store or the Senate Square?

We are putting our final touches on our plan for visiting your beautiful city.

thank you,

Pat

Archived