Princess Cruise Pricing Question

ActiveIslander

I am looking for summer 2012 Mediterranean cruises from Venice to Barcelona. It caught my attention that the same cruise priced at $2290 for a Ruby Princess for 2012 is only $1190 for 2011. Does anyone know why the price vary so much? Is the $1190/person a last minute deal as the sail date is getting closer? Does anyone know when cruise line start to discount price? It will be great to get the much cheaper price if we wait a little longer to book. :) Thanks.

It's possible that people cancelled due to political problems in the Med even though they are not necessarily in countries on your itinerary as well as fears of retaliation by the Taliban so there are more cabins available than normal. Usually, Med cruises sell out early and pricing does not go down but this year is, I think, an aberration.

You can take a chance that prices will come down for next year but there's also the chance that prices will go up and cabin selection be limited. It's a gamble and if you're flexible and willing to take the chance and wait, then go for it.

I am looking for summer 2012 Mediterranean cruises from Venice to Barcelona. It caught my attention that the same cruise priced at $2290 for a Ruby Princess for 2012 is only $1190 for 2011. Does anyone know why the price vary so much? Is the $1190/person a last minute deal as the sail date is getting closer? Does anyone know when cruise line start to discount price? It will be great to get the much cheaper price if we wait a little longer to book. :) Thanks.

we booked a Mediterranean cruise about a year ago, we are scheduled to go this August and the price has gone down quite a few times. We saved over $2000. We have a mini suite and three of us are going so I believe its supply and demand. The airfair is outrageous but we are excited

We went last year and the prices seemed to fluctuate. I tried to follow them for a while before we booked. I think it all comes down to demand and the political situation. Also, I wonder about airfare. We would have gone to the Med again this summer, but did not want to pay the outrageous airfare prices. I thought the cruise prices were unusually low.

Any time you wait, you take the chance that the prices you see will increase. We just booked a North American cruise forthis summer. It took us a month to make up our minds and it cost us. It's no one's fault but our own, but that is the way it goes.

Ohiodoglover

Prices can go up and down. It all depends on supply and demand. Cruise line will have a projected booking schedule. Based on past experience (just hypothetical numbers) say they expect to book 50% of the boat 180 days out, 70% of boat 120 days out, 90% of the boat 90 days out. If they are ahead of that schedule then they RAISE prices. If they are behind schedule then they LOWER prices.

The goal is to book the ENTIE ship at the HIGHEST possible price.

Remember prices can rise. If you aren't already booked you will pay higher price. Prices can fall and as long as it is before final payment you can get your price reduced if so booked at higher price. Finally the earlier you book the better selection of rooms available. So generally speaking it makes more sense to book early.

Prices fall - already booked = get lower price, not already booked = get lower price

Prices rise - already booked = locked in (no higher price), not already booked = pay higher price

The one except to that is waiting to last possible minute. Once final payment occurs (normally 70 days out) if the ship still is not at max capacity the cruise line may significantly reduce prices. Obviously those already booked "lose out". However to play the last minute game you need to be very flexible because you never know which cruise from which port will be heavily discounted.

I have always booked a year of so ahead and gotten numerous price drops before final payment. And I get the cabin of my choice. Even though you might get a little better price at the last minute, you only get whatever cabins are leftover. Cabin location isn't important to some people, but is to me. So to get the best cabin and price, booking far ahead makes the most sense. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. We will book early to secure the cabin of our choice for summer 2012.

Does anyone know if there are cancellation fees before the final payment date? We have high school kids and we never know if there are any unexpected summer activities/camps until a few months before summer. We do he best we can but will prepare for change of plans. Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. We will book early to secure the cabin of our choice for summer 2012.

Does anyone know if there are cancellation fees before the final payment date? We have high school kids and we never know if there are any unexpected summer activities/camps until a few months before summer. We do he best we can but will prepare for change of plans. Thanks

Princess does not. Travel Agents can so make sure you ask before you book. I wouldn't book with an agent who has a cancellation fee different than the cruise lines.

Airfare will also fluctuate between now and a Med cruise next year. It is expensive this year but may be less or maybe more next year. :confused:

There will definitely be airline fees if you have to change or cancel after you've bought your plane tickets. However, if you wait until the last minute the airfare may be way higher than if you book airfare when the flights are available for purchase.

Airfare is always a gamble and generally you won't get a discount if airfare drops after you purchase tickets.

I know Princess has revised its EZ Air program options. I haven't seen any postings from people who have booked Princess EZAir yet, but it looks like Princess offers flexible & non-flexible types of airfare you can purchase.

I definitely plan to check Princess EZAir when airfare becomes available early October for our Med cruise. Hopefully there'll be some postings this summer from people who booked trough Princess.

Many of the lines pull a lot of ships to Europe for summer sailings and they are finding that the cost of airfare is affecting selling all the cabins they have put in Europe.

So you can probably thank the airline for the discounts, as many lines are reducing pricing to get the ships filled.

We are already booked for the Med 2012 on the Ruby and I too have a bunch of kids..all ages..and education levels...so..this is what I do as I am a planner by nature and don't want the kids to miss a thing in their childhood!!

Summer of 2011....those that can work for pay..will do just that during their unscheduled summer weeks. We will of course take time out for Cape Cod and a trip to Hershey, PA and as many NYC day trips as possible and spend every other free moment swimming and playing Tennis (yes, I believe in .."summertime and the living is easy") I will also register the youngest for any and all camps that fit the schedule and are of interest and get her to them this year as she will start to age out of them next year. College daughter, class of 2012 and High School DD class of 2012....already know to work their tails off this summer because I told them 3 years ago that the summer they both graduate ...we are off again to the Med..so forget about making other plans!!!:D Like this is a threat to them:rolleyes:LOL btw, 15yo DD will do some volunteer work and babysit...and hang with Mom.

Summer of 2012...asap after school's out and graduations are over we are off. Pre cruise stay...cruise...post cruise stay...whatever it takes because cutting back at these airfare prices is just silly..IMHO...add more land days and take advantage!!! Pretty soon they won't be travelling with us anyway.

so, what I am trying to say is...don't worry about their schedules...plan it out and book activites and work for them this year and remind them that 2012 is already scheduled out for them...they are going to Europe...so they do not need to make other plans or look into other programs.

and..as an added bonus...if they do happen to be left with free time next summer with no jobs, camps, programs or activities...they can pretend that it is 1955 again...and enjoy the lazy days of summer and just relax and enjoy their childhood/youth/teen/young adult years!!!:)

Archived