Amalfi coast by land or water?

lhall85917

We are just starting to research shore excursions from Naples and generally prefer to book private excursions. I am seeing private tours including Pompeii, Positano and other cities. Royal Caribbean's excursions list similar tours but one includes a boat ride along the coast. Is this worth considering or something included with any private tours?

The drive along the coast is absolutely spectacular and I would prefer that over a boat ride. The Amalfi Coast is amazing. I absolutely loved Sorrento and Positano - bought lots of Italian pottery which I had the shops ship to my home since it was too heavy to take home in my suitcase - and also to protect it from damage. You are going to absolutely love this area!

We did Pompeii in the morning, then drove to Positano, had lunch and then drove to Sorrento. Along the way, there were many scenic stops for photos. It was a fantastic day and I can't wait to go back again! I highly recommend a private tour so you can move at your own pace and do what you want to do.

our CC group put together a private tour. we started in naples, then went to sorrento, positano and amalfi (maybe not in that order, it has been a while.) then we had lunch in ravello. after lunch we drove to pompeii and took the regular tour. then back to the ship. it was a great day.

IMHO if you can afford go PRIVATE!

Nothing is like the drive along the coast, yes its a long day but beats anything the cruisline offers. One of the reason the cruise likely offers by boat is that they can't put a bus and 50 people onto the coast, only smaller vans can negotiate the streets.

Having done the land and seeing the views, I'd not want a boat, just not the same, YMMV.

If you do private I'd not include the boat as you will be paying for that seperate and not getting the full benefit of the private car in so doing.

Good luck!

We are just starting to research shore excursions from Naples and generally prefer to book private excursions. I am seeing private tours including Pompeii, Positano and other cities. Royal Caribbean's excursions list similar tours but one includes a boat ride along the coast. Is this worth considering or something included with any private tours?

957245358_1910_NaplesAmalfi.jpg.62527119c12c3400441be447d64ca2ae.jpg

2001549982_1940_NaplesAmalfiCoastTwowayonelane.jpg.0719967ea8c16d6388f9ac86a6d94fd5.jpg

925533628_2060_NaplesRavello.jpg.c96bf5e26b3f6bfc2763f9e6d4c2709a.jpg

598747584_3010_NaplesRavello.jpg.560be4ca94e66c26e636744e78a9c7d6.jpg

We took the boat trip from Ruby Princess and the huge advantage is there are no traffic jams! We loved the amazing views of the towns and villages built into the rocks. The coach took us to meet the boat, we cruised then we had some time in Amalfi which is a pretty little town. After our lovely cruise, we went by coach to Sorrento and again that was lovely.

Thnank you all, great information! I think we will look into private, we did Rome with Driver Guide Service and it was wonderful. We will probably book a hill town tour out of Rome with them and one of the Pompeii-Amalfi Coast tours they do from Naples. Heading over to our roll call now to see if anyone is there and ready to make plans, don't they realize we only have 11 months to get things set up?! :D

We just got back from the Mediterranean. We docked in Salerno and used Pleasant Travel for Pompei, the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Positano. It was a great day. Mariano from Pleasant Travel was a pleasure to work wit. We ended up using his services for all of our tours in Italy; we also did Siena/Chianti out of Livorno and Rome. His personal replies to my emails is what impressed me to use him, plus his prices were more reasonable than RomeinLimo.

Archived